A thing or two about cleaning and maintaining your records

Hi.

what about this :):clapping:

How To Clean Records

I too wash the records in basin, gently rubbing foam of normal Detol hand wash with fingers 2-3 times and rinsing under running water (no hard water). After soaking extra water with synthetic chamois dry under fan for 3-4 minutes. So far all records are in well and good condition. Just take care not to touch groove by anything except cleaning material. :clapping:

Last edited:
Detol, vinegar, detergent :eek: Bros don't you love your records ???
Some people don't clean records even with tap water.
scratch_head.gif

Regards

Detol, vinegar, detergent :eek: Bros don't you love your records ???
Some people don't clean records even with tap water.
scratch_head.gif

Regards

Sure we love. But what for dirty records bought as old/used which I could not play for 2 songs? stylus gets clogged.

Even I am supporter of the thought that washing of records is only once in life time cleaning act, should be done as last resort. After that caring it for not getting dirty again is all I can do. Prevention is better than cure.

BTW, I am not sure about vinegar (acidic) and kitchen detergent (Strong alkaline) but foam first created in hand and applied to wet record, will that degrade vinyl anyway? Vinyl is Synthetic resin or plastic consisting of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or a related polymer. I thought its mild soap in little quantity which is safe for skin and keep grime away before washing. So safe for that vinyl too.:mad:

I looked at records cleaning solutions, they are same things - mild coagulants, foaming agents. These are same mild detergents.

@Sachin: You are using very strong solution. it should not be more than 5% of vinegar for regular care.

What about wiping with chamois?

Last edited:
Sure we love. But what for dirty records bought as old/used which I could not play for 2 songs? stylus gets clogged.

Even I am supporter of the thought that washing of records is only once in life time cleaning act, should be done as last resort. After that caring it for not getting dirty again is all I can do. Prevention is better than cure.

BTW, I am not sure about vinegar (acidic) and kitchen detergent (Strong alkaline) but foam first created in hand and applied to wet record, will that degrade vinyl anyway? Vinyl is Synthetic resin or plastic consisting of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or a related polymer. I thought its mild soap in little quantity which is safe for skin and keep grime away before washing. So safe for that vinyl too.:mad:

I looked at records cleaning solutions, they are same things - mild coagulants, foaming agents. These are same mild detergents.

@Sachin: You are using very strong solution. it should not be more than 5% of vinegar for regular care.

What about wiping with chamois?
IMO vinegar is 100% safe if mixed with water.There is a special thread on Audiokarma regarding vinegar.I am using automotive microfiber cloth for wiping.Leather chamois leaves some residue on lp.

Regards,

Sachin

If you had to use a cleansing agent & water, it should always be detergent based, never soap based and obviously water should be be soft water.
Wiping residual moisture/water off should be done with microfiber cloth.

Zerostat Antistatic Gun works nicely - there is a you tube clip for that. Not sure how effective it is, but sounds logical to me that it will reduce static on the surface which otherwise causes dust to stick on to the grooves.

Last edited:
Yes if many people recommend it I think vinegar is ok. But idea is to use least amount of chemicals. Couldn't find the link but read some where that after many trials distilled water and Isopropyl alcohol works best. Ofcourse rinsing with plain distilled water is a must.

Hope I am not taking the fun out of cleaning vinyls with various concotions :D

Yes if many people recommend it I think vinegar is ok. But idea is to use least amount of chemicals. Couldn't find the link but read some where that after many trials distilled water and Isopropyl alcohol works best. Ofcourse rinsing with plain distilled water is a must.

Hope I am not taking the fun out of cleaning vinyls with various concotions :D

Thanks everybody for saving my collection which just started. I have IPA and distilled water bought for car battery.

Zerostat Antistatic Gun works nicely - there is a you tube clip for that. Not sure how effective it is, but sounds logical to me that it will reduce static on the surface which otherwise causes dust to stick on to the grooves.

I have the gun and it works well. I use it just before and after I give the LPs a good bath.!!!

Dear vinyl lovers,
Nothing like cleaning with a solution of isopropyl alcohol in de-mineralised water with a little bit of surfactanct based liquid soap. But the real process is to use an old TT on which the record needs to be placed after applying this solution. You have to clean with a special brush and vaccum clean with a powerful wet and dry vaccum cleaner for near mint condition. If the forum members are keen, I can give more details

special brush and vaccum clean with a powerful wet and dry vaccum cleaner

What is so special about this brush?

Are you serious about the vaccum cleaner? Sounds a little too extreme to me considering what you are trying to clean. I am not making fun of your idea. If it works, well and good. A little more information can help.

Last edited:
Inside the grove of the record, there will be dirt which you cannot clean unless you use a solution with surfactant . Surfactant brings out most of the dirt . It is just like Surf detergent soap. When you leave the cloth soaked, the dirt from inside the fabric comes out. Similarly, all the dirt from inside the groove will be brought to the surface by the surfactant and this will have to be sucked out by a vaccum cleaner if you want the best result. I have demonstrated it to many of my friends. If the record is a fairly good one, it will sound as good as new. The brush that I use has fine bristles and it was bought from the States.(I don't remember the brand name now) . This to me is the only way a record can be properly cleaned. Many of the hi-end cleaning machines use the same principle to clean the records. I have a collection of more than 2000 LPs and I have tried almost all the methods and found this to be the best way to clean the records
Kuruvilajacob

Here's what I do...

80:20 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol, a couple of drops of Kodak Photoflo, spray on the record and let it sit for a while. Scrub in circular motion with a wet cleaning brush and rinse with distilled water...

Recently tried the Favicol cleaning method...will post my experience later...

What is so special about this brush?

Are you serious about the vaccum cleaner? Sounds a little too extreme to me considering what you are trying to clean. I am not making fun of your idea. If it works, well and good. A little more information can help.

All high end record cleaning machines works with vacuum only.

Regards,
Sachin

Inside the grove of the record, there will be dirt which you cannot clean unless you use a solution with surfactant . Surfactant brings out most of the dirt . It is just like Surf detergent soap. When you leave the cloth soaked, the dirt from inside the fabric comes out. Similarly, all the dirt from inside the groove will be brought to the surface by the surfactant and this will have to be sucked out by a vaccum cleaner if you want the best result. I have demonstrated it to many of my friends. If the record is a fairly good one, it will sound as good as new. The brush that I use has fine bristles and it was bought from the States.(I don't remember the brand name now) . This to me is the only way a record can be properly cleaned. Many of the hi-end cleaning machines use the same principle to clean the records. I have a collection of more than 2000 LPs and I have tried almost all the methods and found this to be the best way to clean the records
Kuruvilajacob

Hi all,

I had interacted with Kuruvillajacob during the Chennai HIFI meet held recently. He had suggested to use ezee - a Godrej Product, for cleaning old records. So I tried a soiled record Double Fantasy- John Lennnon lying with me. It used to look clean but sounded noisey with surface dust. Initially tried to clean with D.Water+Isopropyl alcohol, but the reduction in noise was only about 30% compared to its original condition. So I thought of trying with ezee liquid detergent. So diluted ezee liqiud detergent with equal amount of distilled water, applied on the record surface, let it there for 3-5 minutes, then cleaned with the soft bristled brush by working up the lather. Then washed under running water in wash basin, let it dry under the fan. After it dried once again applied the IPA+DW combo and clean swiped with the velvet brush. Now dried it again under the ceiling fan.

Now after drying played it in my TT after cleaning my stylus. I was very impressed with the sound , the surface noise had vanished upto 90%, treble and midrange had good clarity, still there was some minor noise, but it was not all a hindrance to the music and was in the background. :yahoo:

Earlier I used Dettol hand wash , or Johnson's baby shampoo to clean my dusty records. But from this experience I can confidently say that the ezee way of cleaning is very superior and take this opportunity to thank our forum member kurivillajacob. I request him to write a very detailed procedure on this method which will help all vinyl enthusiasts.

N.Murali

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back