SONIC PLUMBER -MYTH BUSTING EXPERIENCE ABOUT AUDIO CABLES

MasTerasTrix

Sharing My personal experience with an Indian Brand named SONIC PLUMBER which makes PRO Audio Cables and Motocross Gear which literally blew my limited expectations about " Audio Cables Enhancing SQ " into smithereens.

All this started when a 3.5mm to RCA cable (MX brand) that connected my TV and Edifier HT needed replacement.I was furious since I had bought this cable 7 months ago from the MX store in Bangalore shelling out 1.1k for it after the executive nailed me with gyaan about all the tech that went into this cable, it's sturdy build etc etc resulting in great sound performance.(However that was short lived and the cable gave way sooner than expected, sunlight through the window behind the Tv cabinet in the living room may be the reason for it to get hardened and splitting near the connectors)
Have 2 primary sources that include :
1. VU TV connected to a Edifier HT (30w)that's mainly used for movies and OTT.
2. Fiio BTA30 pro + Topping amp and DAC connected to Wharfdale Diamond 225 .Mostly use a laptop , Android Phone to play music via bluetooth Ldac, and Spotify for streaming.

I wasnt convinced when it came to audio cables enhancing SQ and the insanely exhorbitant prices quoted by few companies stating oxygen free, twisted, RF insulated and what not.Reading about
them got me confused further and it was clear that there were 2 groups of people. One set that believed in audio cables making a difference and the other believing that it was plain mumbo jumbo. I clearly belonged to the latter.
However, like the saying "The proof of the pudding lies in eating it" .Exactly my situation as i was unaware of the pleasant surprise that awaited me in the near future. A friend of mine who is a bass guitarist for a well known band suggested that i try "SONIC PLUMBER" and that I won't be disappointed, Told me he got his cables custom made from them and that they used Neutrik connectors ( i had no freaking clue what Neutrik connectors were, nor did i care since I was planning to buy a local cable and be done with it for 1/10th the cost of my previous one ). But since I trusted his deep knowledge of music and instruments along with attention to detail and technicality ,i decided to give it a shot and noted down the contact details.

The Next day i get in touch with Brian Norona from Sonic Plumber via wats app with my requirement and asked him if they were running any diwali offers .Got a reply within a minute along with a link to his website, asked me to take a look and assured me that the prices were already discounted on the site. Browsed through and found Audio cables along with Motocross Gear for sale( apparently the owner happens to be a Moto Buff ).
Found what I needed & Placed my order through the website and got my tracking number within 5 minutes of placing my order along with an estimated delivery date.

Within 24hrs the parcel landed in Bangalore,but took another 2 days for it to reach my address courtesy the shabby DTDC courier service.The parcel had the cable neatly bubble wrapped and a few cheap decals with the company logo.
The cable has a 5 year warranty against manufacturing defects.Comes with a velcro cable tie attached to it with company name printed. The 3.5mm jack and the RCA connectors are made of metal and have gold plated ends.On the whole it's a cable well made from an Indian Brand.

Now here comes the best part or you could say - My moment of truth. I plugged the cable into the tv and rca connects to the HT while having no clue about the kind of surprise /extraordinary experience that i was in for ( it was just a mundane task of changing a damaged cable with a new one and go about using it .Simple)
Now that everything was set i Sat back on the couch and turned on the TV only to hit the mute on the remote instantly ,Checked to see if the volume had accidentally been increased which was not the case, it was exactly the same and this was the same level i was comfortable with, while watching movies or Netflix series before I swapped cables.
Now at that time we were five of us in the living room watching a live show of a band called Evergray via a DVD, ....BUT SOMETHING HAD CHANGED ......within a few seconds i noticed all the 5 including me having a weird smile on our faces along with the same question. What the hecks happening ? How could the same system sound so different , full of life, clearer seperation of instruments,tighter bass , the soundstage had suddenly expanded four fold. It was like i had changed all my speakers and got higher spec ones instead. Which was not the case, everything was just the same. Could a simple audio cable make such a huge difference to the SQ ? It was sheer disbelief at first and my unwillingness to accept the truth that was hitting right at my ear drums every second.
For the next hour or so not a soul spoke nor moved from his seat as it was pure joy that we all experienced along with what we had missed so long. After a few hours of tripping on music my friends left while I still had the question? How could a simple cable make such a difference ? So i unplugged the cable ,connected it to my 2nd source and started playing some psy trance. OMG the Wharfdales never sounded this great before and what a trip it was. This went on for the whole night as there was no way I could get enough of what kept reaching my eardrum.
The only reason my listening spree had to end was my Dad who came over and was on the verge of spitting in my face for keeping him up all night with the weird sounds from PsyTrance 😝. Can't tell you how excited I was, just like a kid with his new toy & not getting enough time to play with it. That's how I felt along with being grateful to my buddy for introducing me to this brand that costed me way lesser than what I had paid for previously.

WAY FORWARD :
Infact I'm all ready to place my second order for RCA connects to connect my amp to the Diamond 225 as i find this bang for your buck. Also plan to order a custom cable that's nowhere to be found.One that has a 3.5mm plug and a usb jack that goes into a printer at the other end. Want to use this with amps like the Topping VX2 (FDA) having Usb input but no Bluetooth ( plug the 3.5 into BT and the other end into the DAC/AMP)

DISCLAIMER:
I am in no way related to nor affiliated with this company nor do I have any vested interest in promoting it's products.
The only reason i decided to write my first ever on this forum is that I'm extremely thrilled and happy that a myth i believed in got busted and also to help other fellow members who love music and movies but have genuine financial constraints or mental constraints while buying hifi cables from brands like Nordost, Audio quest, chord ,VDH etc while still being able to enjoy great SQ from an Indian Brand that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Many might find it outrageous that i had to write about a simple audio cable when they have many more from top brands.kindly excuse me if you find this overbearing and unnecessary as this was not my intention. I just wanted folks like me to enjoy some great gear within everyone's reach.

TECH WISE - i have no clue about what kind of cable goes into making this , or ohms its rated at etc .i just know that music sounds great after using them and I'm enjoying every moment of it.

Kindly feel free to share your feedback incase you have used any gear from this company coz I'm sure there are other FM's who are aware & have used products from this company and who may completely disagree with what I have to say. That is perfectly fine as you are seasoned audiophiles with tonnes of experience and knowledge from the years n years of pursuing it as a passion.

Pic for reference Below:

Attachments

• IMG-20221026-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20221026-WA0001.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 113
Sharing My personal experience with an Indian Brand named SONIC PLUMBER which makes PRO Audio Cables and Motocross Gear which literally blew my limited expectations about " Audio Cables Enhancing SQ " into smithereens.

All this started when a 3.5mm to RCA cable (MX brand) that connected my TV and Edifier HT needed replacement.I was furious since I had bought this cable 7 months ago from the MX store in Bangalore shelling out 1.1k for it after the executive nailed me with gyaan about all the tech that went into this cable, it's sturdy build etc etc resulting in great sound performance.(However that was short lived and the cable gave way sooner than expected, sunlight through the window behind the Tv cabinet in the living room may be the reason for it to get hardened and splitting near the connectors)
Have 2 primary sources that include :
1. VU TV connected to a Edifier HT (30w)that's mainly used for movies and OTT.
2. Fiio BTA30 pro + Topping amp and DAC connected to Wharfdale Diamond 225 .Mostly use a laptop , Android Phone to play music via bluetooth Ldac, and Spotify for streaming.

I wasnt convinced when it came to audio cables enhancing SQ and the insanely exhorbitant prices quoted by few companies stating oxygen free, twisted, RF insulated and what not.Reading about
them got me confused further and it was clear that there were 2 groups of people. One set that believed in audio cables making a difference and the other believing that it was plain mumbo jumbo. I clearly belonged to the latter.
However, like the saying "The proof of the pudding lies in eating it" .Exactly my situation as i was unaware of the pleasant surprise that awaited me in the near future. A friend of mine who is a bass guitarist for a well known band suggested that i try "SONIC PLUMBER" and that I won't be disappointed, Told me he got his cables custom made from them and that they used Neutrik connectors ( i had no freaking clue what Neutrik connectors were, nor did i care since I was planning to buy a local cable and be done with it for 1/10th the cost of my previous one ). But since I trusted his deep knowledge of music and instruments along with attention to detail and technicality ,i decided to give it a shot and noted down the contact details.

The Next day i get in touch with Brian Norona from Sonic Plumber via wats app with my requirement and asked him if they were running any diwali offers .Got a reply within a minute along with a link to his website, asked me to take a look and assured me that the prices were already discounted on the site. Browsed through and found Audio cables along with Motocross Gear for sale( apparently the owner happens to be a Moto Buff ).
Found what I needed & Placed my order through the website and got my tracking number within 5 minutes of placing my order along with an estimated delivery date.

Within 24hrs the parcel landed in Bangalore,but took another 2 days for it to reach my address courtesy the shabby DTDC courier service.The parcel had the cable neatly bubble wrapped and a few cheap decals with the company logo.
The cable has a 5 year warranty against manufacturing defects.Comes with a velcro cable tie attached to it with company name printed. The 3.5mm jack and the RCA connectors are made of metal and have gold plated ends.On the whole it's a cable well made from an Indian Brand.

Now here comes the best part or you could say - My moment of truth. I plugged the cable into the tv and rca connects to the HT while having no clue about the kind of surprise /extraordinary experience that i was in for ( it was just a mundane task of changing a damaged cable with a new one and go about using it .Simple)
Now that everything was set i Sat back on the couch and turned on the TV only to hit the mute on the remote instantly ,Checked to see if the volume had accidentally been increased which was not the case, it was exactly the same and this was the same level i was comfortable with, while watching movies or Netflix series before I swapped cables.
Now at that time we were five of us in the living room watching a live show of a band called Evergray via a DVD, ....BUT SOMETHING HAD CHANGED ......within a few seconds i noticed all the 5 including me having a weird smile on our faces along with the same question. What the hecks happening ? How could the same system sound so different , full of life, clearer seperation of instruments,tighter bass , the soundstage had suddenly expanded four fold. It was like i had changed all my speakers and got higher spec ones instead. Which was not the case, everything was just the same. Could a simple audio cable make such a huge difference to the SQ ? It was sheer disbelief at first and my unwillingness to accept the truth that was hitting right at my ear drums every second.
For the next hour or so not a soul spoke nor moved from his seat as it was pure joy that we all experienced along with what we had missed so long. After a few hours of tripping on music my friends left while I still had the question? How could a simple cable make such a difference ? So i unplugged the cable ,connected it to my 2nd source and started playing some psy trance. OMG the Wharfdales never sounded this great before and what a trip it was. This went on for the whole night as there was no way I could get enough of what kept reaching my eardrum.
The only reason my listening spree had to end was my Dad who came over and was on the verge of spitting in my face for keeping him up all night with the weird sounds from PsyTrance 😝. Can't tell you how excited I was, just like a kid with his new toy & not getting enough time to play with it. That's how I felt along with being grateful to my buddy for introducing me to this brand that costed me way lesser than what I had paid for previously.

WAY FORWARD :
Infact I'm all ready to place my second order for RCA connects to connect my amp to the Diamond 225 as i find this bang for your buck. Also plan to order a custom cable that's nowhere to be found.One that has a 3.5mm plug and a usb jack that goes into a printer at the other end. Want to use this with amps like the Topping VX2 (FDA) having Usb input but no Bluetooth ( plug the 3.5 into BT and the other end into the DAC/AMP)

DISCLAIMER:
I am in no way related to nor affiliated with this company nor do I have any vested interest in promoting it's products.
The only reason i decided to write my first ever on this forum is that I'm extremely thrilled and happy that a myth i believed in got busted and also to help other fellow members who love music and movies but have genuine financial constraints or mental constraints while buying hifi cables from brands like Nordost, Audio quest, chord ,VDH etc while still being able to enjoy great SQ from an Indian Brand that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Many might find it outrageous that i had to write about a simple audio cable when they have many more from top brands.kindly excuse me if you find this overbearing and unnecessary as this was not my intention. I just wanted folks like me to enjoy some great gear within everyone's reach.

TECH WISE - i have no clue about what kind of cable goes into making this , or ohms its rated at etc .i just know that music sounds great after using them and I'm enjoying every moment of it.

Kindly feel free to share your feedback incase you have used any gear from this company coz I'm sure there are other FM's who are aware & have used products from this company and who may completely disagree with what I have to say. That is perfectly fine as you are seasoned audiophiles with tonnes of experience and knowledge from the years n years of pursuing it as a passion.

Pic for reference Below:
Beautiful write up. Really enjoyed reading it and thank you for igniting new hopes for audiophiles on a budget..
Kindly share the link to their website as well...

I had similar experiences when I replaced my stock Marantz BR player interconnect with my DIY time aligned interconnect cables.
It's only after this experience that i can say " I totally get what you're saying "😁. Wow that first hit of the sound wave is unforgettable.Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful write up. Really enjoyed reading it and thank you for igniting new hopes for audiophiles on a budget..
Kindly share the link to their website as well...
Really glad that you liked it and for your kind words.The website details and Contact person as below.

www.sonicplumber.com
Brian

+1 on the quality of Sonic Plumber cables. I have a bunch of cables bought off their Amazon store and found them to be very good.
That's awesome news. Glad that you shared.Cheers!

I compared the sonic plumber XLR cables earlier against mogami gold studio and audioquest diamondback cables. They did not fare well at all. They sounded very poor comparatively. They only produced flat sound and non of the hifi aspects you come to expect of hi fidelity cables were present. The effect of having good upstream equipments were nullified by the cable.

Infact I had an ugreen XLR cable I got of amazon lying around, those were better than the sonic plumber XLRs and came close to other 2 cables and had hifi qualities.

Please take this comparison as input for their XLR cables, I did not try any of the other cables from them.

I compared the sonic plumber XLR cables earlier against mogami gold studio and audioquest diamondback cables. They did not fare well at all. They sounded very poor comparatively. They only produced flat sound and non of the hifi aspects you come to expect of hi fidelity cables were present. The effect of having good upstream equipments were nullified by the cable.

Infact I had an ugreen XLR cable I got of amazon lying around, those were better than the sonic plumber XLRs and came close to other 2 cables and had hifi qualities.

Please take this comparison as input for their XLR cables, I did not try any of the other cables from them.
This brought up a seriously relevant question which baffles me though.
Are the HiFi cables even better than the PRO grade cables used by professionals ? Do these cable companies know more about sound than the professionals churning out the music ?
The cables used by professionals who actually created the music we cherish and love listening to, are they inferior to the hifi cables mentioned above. Why do these professionals prefer using neutral sounding or flat sounding cables then ? Coz every other person I've spoken to who is into creating /producing music prefers the exact same sound you mentioned - FLAT.

Not sure if we like the coloured sound from these hifi cables against the flat sound. Since I haven't used any such hifi cables i would have zero idea about how they sound with high end gear.

At this point I'd only have to pacify myself believing that it's a personal preference and that it differs from one person to the other.Therefore the choice of different companies and their products.
However you've got my curiosity meter running so high 😁 that i might visit a few Hifi dealers just to audition them and get a feel for myself.( I have to thankyou for that though).

Are the HiFi cables even better than the PRO grade cables used by professionals ? Do these cable companies know more about sound than the professionals churning out the music ?
The cables used by professionals who actually created the music we cherish and love listening to, are they inferior to the hifi cables mentioned above. Why do these professionals prefer using neutral sounding or flat sounding cables then ?
There is big difference between Pro sound and home audio sound. It is an age old argument, nothing new, maybe you just discovered it. If pro sound was the best in the world then all pro sound companies would be selling to home audio listeners, but that is not the case.
Cheers,
Sid
PS: I don't have anything against pro audio, just making an observation, and I haven't heard the cables in this discussion.

This brought up a seriously relevant question which baffles me though.
The cables used by professionals who actually created the music we cherish and love listening to, are they inferior to the hifi cables mentioned above. Why do these professionals prefer using neutral sounding or flat sounding cables then ? Coz every other person I've spoken to who is into creating /producing music prefers the exact same sound you mentioned - FLAT.

Not sure if we like the coloured sound from these hifi cables against the flat sound. Since I haven't used any such hifi cables i would have zero idea about how they sound with high end gear.

At this point I'd only have to pacify myself believing that it's a personal preference and that it differs from one person to the other.Therefore the choice of different companies and their products.
However you've got my curiosity meter running so high 😁 that i might visit a few Hifi dealers just to audition them and get a feel for myself.( I have to thankyou for that though).

By flat I meant devoid of any dynamism and lifeless. Not the frequency graph.

Mogami for example has a flat frequency response but rich in tone, dynamics, control, micro and macro details and timber. The sound is also spacious with good imaging.

I am not saying pro cables are not suitable for hifi purpose. In fact mogami gold is the gold standard for pro cables and works very well for hifi use.

I don't think the sonic plumber are made for high standard professional use itself, compared to something like mogami. I don't usually bash something that doesn't work out for me add the fact that amazon took return of the said cables, so I lost nothing.

Just sharing my experience with these cables. With the thread title, I was half expecting the opposite of your experience. I just want to avoid people to getting carried away and buy these cables for hifi use.

Mogami cables are studio cables and only bit more costly and vastly superior for hifi use. I recommend them for others and You should try them yourself too.

By flat I meant devoid of any dynamism and lifeless. Not the frequency graph.

Mogami for example has a flat frequency response but rich in tone, dynamics, control, micro and macro details and timber. The sound is also spacious with good imaging.

I am not saying pro cables are not suitable for hifi purpose. In fact mogami gold is the gold standard for pro cables and works very well for hifi use.

I don't think the sonic plumber are made for high standard professional use itself, compared to something like mogami. I don't usually bash something that doesn't work out for me add the fact that amazon took return of the said cables, so I lost nothing.

Just sharing my experience with these cables. With the thread title, I was half expecting the opposite of your experience. I just want to avoid people to getting carried away and buy these cables for hifi use.

Mogami cables are studio cables and only bit more costly and vastly superior for hifi use. I recommend them for others and You should try them yourself too.
Thanks a ton. You make your point very clear here. Will surely try and choose wisely.👍

I don't know about Audioquest though I have couple of their cables.
But Mogami is very much in the pro audio industry.
So are companies like Belden and Canare.
Unlike some hifi companies that produce cables with vague and subjective parameters, Mogami, Belden etc provide detailed electrical parameters.
Awesome info and it's along the lines of what I've read too. Hats off as You have brilliantly summarised it .

There is big difference between Pro sound and home audio sound. It is an age old argument, nothing new, maybe you just discovered it. If pro sound was the best in the world then all pro sound companies would be selling to home audio listeners, but that is not the case.
Cheers,
Sid
PS: I don't have anything against pro audio, just making an observation, and I haven't heard the cables in this discussion.
Yup....just discovered it, u are right about this. Thanks for enlightening me about pro n home audio. There's so much to learn from you guys😁 that it's overwhelming at times.

Here cable is compared with MX. No doubt difference is heard, but there certainly better sounding cable like others said. Recently l got monoprice RCA interconects.When l plugged in, I was impressed as I could hear details and bigger sound in same system with same volume.After a while, I switched to magomoli and resolution improved. After some burning in time, a FM also said that mogami is better. It goes that way. I prefer over VDH IC in current system. It goes that way:).

Recently l got monoprice RCA interconects.When l plugged in, I was impressed as I could hear details and bigger sound in same system with same volume.
Monoprice makes IC's priced from ~$1.5 onwards till ~$20. Which are you referring to? A friend who used their "Premium" variant said it made absolutely no sonic difference to his ears as compared to the Leamington roadside bought cables that he has and is very happy using. :cool:
After a while, I switched to magomoli and resolution improved.
Can you link to a website with more information about these magomoli cables? Google doesn't help.
After some burning in time, a FM also said that mogami is better. It goes that way. I prefer over VDH IC in current system. It goes that way:).
Mogami makes bog standard and also expensive cables. All have different characteristics. Which ones are you or the FM referring to?

The cables used by professionals who actually created the music we cherish and love listening to, are they inferior to the hifi cables mentioned above.
How does your experience comparing a pro cable with a commercial cable (MX) lead to your conclusions/apprehensions on Hifi branded cables? I am not saying your impressions are right/wrong, but I don’t see their derivation (logical/experiential) in your posts above.

What stood out to me from your post is the delightful customer experience you had from this manufacturer. That’s a plus.

Monoprice makes IC's priced from ~$1.5 onwards till ~$20. Which are you referring to?

These one

Can you link to a website with more information about these magomoli cables?
Sorry typing mistake. l mean Mogami.
These one.

Also plan to order a custom cable that's nowhere to be found.One that has a 3.5mm plug and a usb jack that goes into a printer at the other end. Want to use this with amps like the Topping VX2 (FDA) having Usb input but no Bluetooth
That's not a cable, that's an adapter. You're taking analogue output and putting it into digital input. A plain cable can't just convert analogue to digital signal.

Not to mention the futility of converting analogue to digital so the DAC can convert it back to analogue.

That's not a cable, that's an adapter. You're taking analogue output and putting it into digital input. A plain cable can't just convert analogue to digital signal.

Not to mention the futility of converting analogue to digital so the DAC can convert it back to analogue.
Hi Gaurav, can you shed some light on this. Not sure how it's futile ? I have the Topping VX2 connected to Diamond 225 BS, wanted to stream using Spotify & hence thought this would be possible.
You mean it won't work? Can't use a 3.5mm pin plugged into a BT board and then connected to the VX2 . Please share your inputs .

Hi Gaurav, can you shed some light on this. Not sure how it's futile ? I have the Topping VX2 connected to Diamond 225 BS, wanted to stream using Spotify & hence thought this would be possible.
You mean it won't work? Can't use a 3.5mm pin plugged into a BT board and then connected to the VX2 . Please share your inputs .
Topping VX2 is fully digital amplifier with no analog inputs so feed it with direct digital signal from your streaming device to get better fidelity.

If your source has only analogue out and amp has only digital input, then this might be a necessity for you. But it's futile in the sense that speakers/amps need analogue signals to play sound. If you already have analogue signal from source, then converting it to digital then back to analogue is not going to add anything. If anything, this double conversion can only lead to a minor loss in fidelity.

If this worked, then the reverse would also work, i.e., take a cable which has digital connector on one end and analogue on another, then feed this into the amplifier directly. But that doesn't. We need a DAC in the middle. The whole point of a DAC is to convert digital audio to analogue audio. So going the other way round will also take an adapter, which works in reverse. It would be called an ADC or analogue to digital converter. Such devices do exist, but are rare and I couldn't find any on Amazon with my limited search.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back