A first Hi-fi system with Saptak Acoustics Rediscovery speakers and O&B DMB 2300 amp

The ear piercing sound he is suggesting is from the forwardness of the ATC in the mid range, its slightly less in the 3-way design but thats more or less the ATC sound. Having owned the SCM11 for almost 3yrs now and counting and also hearing the scm20 and scm40 on other occasions, the lack of low end in the sealed design and the tweeter being a few DB's lower than the mids makes the sound more piercing or forward for someone looking for a more balanced sound. Toe-in to the listening position definitely helps but the sound still remains mid focused, The soft dome tweeter is just too soft to offend any ears. I have tried the ATC's with accuphase E-270, sugden a21se signature, eam lab musica 102i with matrix, audionote and lumin dac. The results were the same with the mid range having the tendancy to come at you and sound forward. With the accuphase in play the tweeter just left the party even before it started, it was all mids jam with accuphase playing.

You used all the wrong amps with ATC and then you complain. You need more current to drive an ATC. Mine came alive only after I fed them with 300W/ch monoblocks. There is absolutely no ear piercing highs or fatigue if you setup an ATC correctly. If your chain has a flaw, it will show up. Could be the amps you used or your source.

You used all the wrong amps with ATC and then you complain. You need more current to drive an ATC. Mine came alive only after I fed them with 300W/ch monoblocks. There is absolutely no ear piercing highs or fatigue if you setup an ATC correctly. If your chain has a flaw, it will show up. Could be the amps you used or your source.
If your listening levels are 65-68db you donot need a 300w mono block to drive any atc speaker. No where did I mention the high's to be piercing please read again as to what I have written. More watts can make your speakers play louder but it cannot change the sound of the speaker.

If your listening levels are 65-68db you donot need a 300w mono block to drive any atc speaker. No where did I mention the high's to be piercing please read again as to what I have written. More watts can make your speakers play louder but it cannot change the sound of the speaker.
It does matter. I am saying first hand as I had a 125W/ch McCormack DNA power amp earlier and it struggled to drive the ATC, made it sound exactly as you say - upper mid range forwardness. The very same amp is now working beautifully driving a pair of dyns in my second system. This is quite a high current amp that had driven punishing speakers before but failed with the ATC.

ATC needs current - a lot of current. None of the amps you mentioned - sugden which is a 20W pipsqueak, or an accuphase e270 which is their entry level and again has a quasi compromised PSU making it lack drive or the eam integrated will do justice to this speaker. It needs current and a lot of drive. Once you give it that, it really sings. The electronics the speaker requires probably costs as much or more than the cost of the speaker.

There is a reason why ATC mentions 75-300W as the power range of the SCM19 that I own - it absolutely needs the grunt. The power reserves help it. Most people discard these speakers without even bothering to put the right amps on them and then complain.

Last edited:
ATC needs current - a lot of current. None of the amps you mentioned - sugden which is a 20W pipsqueak, or an accuphase e270
It Doesn't end there, it needs everything upto a certain standard. Gryphon Diablo and ATC synergy is absolutely fantastic, as good as McIntosh with B&Ws or SFs. Class D (Peachtree Amp500 in my case) will show its weakness in favor of class AB.
The upstream electronics play a crucial role, I had to get rid of RPI based DIY Streamer options, Most of AliExpress based power cables and ICs as they were showing their weaknesses. If Recording is bad it'll be glaringly evident, Couldn't Stand Topping DACs , Terminator all the way. ATCs are typical Audiophile Speakers, invest in ATCs, only if you are willing to invest in all Good Quality components & Room Acoustics. But once it’s done, it’s hard to to beat the SQ upgrade. It doesn't lack bass or HF response once you match components of good calibre.

@manditri thats very good setup you've put up Congratulations , Invest in a 2 Compartment Rack for DAC, don't keep DACs on Power amp. Your next big upgrade should be a R2R DAC, like Gustard R26 which is a Good Streamer, DAC and Preamp with Remote. Also you could take advantage of XLR ICs.That should be a setup to challenge most of Midfi Offerings.

It does matter. I am saying first hand as I had a 125W/ch McCormack DNA power amp earlier and it struggled to drive the ATC, made it sound exactly as you say - upper mid range forwardness. The very same amp is now working beautifully driving a pair of dyns in my second system. This is quite a high current amp that had driven punishing speakers before but failed with the ATC.

ATC needs current - a lot of current. None of the amps you mentioned - sugden which is a 20W pipsqueak, or an accuphase e270 which is their entry level and again has a quasi compromised PSU making it lack drive or the eam integrated will do justice to this speaker. It needs current and a lot of drive. Once you give it that, it really sings. The electronics the speaker requires probably costs as much or more than the cost of the speaker.

There is a reason why ATC mentions 75-300W as the power range of the SCM19 that I own - it absolutely needs the grunt. The power reserves help it. Most people discard these speakers without even bothering to put the right amps on them and then complain.
I still have the speakers with me, you still haven't read what I have written or maybe not made the effort to understand it. The power reserve does help alot as you pointed but that reserve will not change the sound of the speaker. The difference here lies in the fact that I have posted my comments above after using all this stuff and still owing it, you on the other hand are commenting on these brands through your assumptions on reading specsheets. Good for you if you like your ATC.

I still have the speakers with me, you still haven't read what I have written or maybe not made the effort to understand it. The power reserve does help alot as you pointed but that reserve will not change the sound of the speaker. The difference here lies in the fact that I have posted my comments above after using all this stuff and still owing it, you on the other hand are commenting on these brands through your assumptions on reading specsheets. Good for you if you like your ATC.
So when you don't have a point to contend with, you end up name calling?

I own the SCM19. It is still in my listening room - I've tried five different amps with it and in the end I settled for a pair of big monos as they sound the best with them.

Having owned both SCM19 and 19 Actives, I can easily vouch for getting the amplification right for the ATCs to sing. With Actives, you have that synergy and just need to get the preamp right.

If you dont want to play around with the amplification, get the active versions and a good preamp. For me, ATCs are highly neutral, brutally revealing speakers that needs good source components to really shine. But once you have everything sorted, you can really enjoy them.

If you dont want to play around with the amplification, get the active versions and a good preamp. For me, ATCs are highly neutral, brutally revealing speakers that needs good source components to really shine. But once you have everything sorted, you can really enjoy them.
This is so so true. Way too many times people discount these speakers but the they are doing is that they are revealing speakers are doing is revealing issues in the chain. Source, pre, power everything needs to be absolutely sorted else they will not sing.

My audiophile journey started when I saw the obsession my dad had. His most ultimate system which was his last and was a very painful when we parted ways with it was when he owned the Bob Carver Amp and Pre amp / Marantz cassette deck / Cd Player and eq I dont quite remember the brand and soeakers were Jamo. Even at a very young age he never stopped me from using such a High end system. He had given to me the full freedom to enjoy them. That became my obsession and Instarted off with Bedroom systems like Sharp / JVC / Sony / Kenwood

Slowly it fizzled out and I had hot myself the Nakamichi soundspace 5.

Somewhere in my heart I still wanted to build my system and I started - I would say I am now happy with the Harbeths which is now chained to the O&BSs 2150, I am so Happy with the synergy now with the ss2150 and harbeths they get along very very well - Thank you @⁨O&B⁩ @⁨Self Voda⁩

I am not so technical but I do appreciate the music which is classical.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back