"A TUESDAY" - Starring FM Prem, EMT 950, Thoress EHT and JBL 4343

This is more of "A Friday" but spent a solid 4 hours today listening to prems system
In summary , the system grabs you by the ears and bewilders you with music which you may have heard 100s of times but with a presentation I have never heard before. Very difficult to put into words .
  • The micro and macro dynamics where a whisper is soft but clear and a kick drum hits you in the stomach
  • You can feel the tension in the air due to a pulled string instrument or a flute
  • A deep organic and richly articulated bass
  • The smallest of background sounds one has never paid attention to suddenly becomes an important part of the fabric .you actually start paying attention to the background singers skill..something I tend to ignore
  • The sound is equally good anywhere in the room, just a change in tonality and the music plays big with a soundstage depth which is uncanny
All of the above and more with such a touch or realism to the voice where one can really feel the emotion in the voice right from Lata to Kishore to Clapton.

I have never before heard a system even in prems own house which can get the combination of resolution as well as musicality right to this extent!

On a lighter note , I would not wish to have such a system since after that I doubt if i would be able to listen to any system after that 😀
Arjun, with such a keen ear, I'm sure your own choice of components is moving forward in a similar direction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Arjun, with such a keen ear, I'm sure your own choice of components is moving forward in a similar direction!
Well i would like to keep that as a far away destination and plan a long journey to get there !

So much more to learn in this hobby. It is not just the choice of components but the placement and minor attention to details which is the key here which prem has managed and to do that ones needs to understand the Interaction between the system and room. One really needs to put in work for that.
The smallest of changes to things like cables and rfi suppression brought about a surprisingly obvious difference, which in my system I would need to really concentrate and then doubt psychoacoustics !

I was waiting for Arj to come and listen to the system. Now that the two of us have finalised the cables, I will be replacing my cut to cut 6 ft Auvio speaker cable with a slightly longer one to give me some flexibility. Will soon terminate the new longer Auvio with tinned copper spades on amp side and tinning of bare wire at the speaker end. This will take a couple of months to settle down which is approx the same time the phono too will need to settle down.

I was waiting for Arj to come and listen to the system. Now that the two of us have finalised the cables, I will be replacing my cut to cut 6 ft Auvio speaker cable with a slightly longer one to give me some flexibility. Will soon terminate the new longer Auvio with tinned copper spades on amp side and tinning of bare wire at the speaker end. This will take a couple of months to settle down which is approx the same time the phono too will need to settle down.
Where on earth you are getting these speaker cables? I am on look out from last two years got hold of some interconnect by them

Jmascreen, I get them from US or Japan. The Denon, I got from Japan. The Gepco, I got from Markertek in USA. The Radio Shack and Auvio, I got on eBay. The Thoress ic was hand crafted for me by the designer himself.

Last edited:
You don’t get them here. You have to get it from abroad.
Hi Prem,

Just a suggestion - it would be great if you can show us how to experience music (beyond just hearing) as fiftyfifty mentioned. It could be a zoom session (online) if its not possible to get a few of us into your listening room. What fiftyfifty mentioned was quite profound. I am sure most of us will benefit from your insights. Some of us (like me) have become too analytical and "equipment- obsessed" (after reading online reviews) and at times tend to miss the music experience. Would be great to listen to a different perspective.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back