"A TUESDAY" - Starring FM Prem, EMT 950, Thoress EHT and JBL 4343

Thanks Black_Hawk. It’s set up to sound good anywhere in the room. I don’t believe in sitting in a single spot. If you were to sit in the centre spot, it would be 8-9 ft away

When fiftyfifty and Nikhil heard the set up, there was no Thoress phono which you can now see in the picture. They heard it with the inbuilt EMT phono.

Last edited:
Thanks Black_Hawk. It’s set up to sound good anywhere in the room. I don’t believe in sitting in a single spot. If you were to sit in the centre spot, it would be 8-9 ft away

Thank-you for replying Prem. I was thinking about 8-10 feet as well because that's where I sit with regards to my Lintons or Kenwood 10".

Once again Prem, you have an incredible setup and I can only imagine how absorbing and beautiful it sounds.

It’s just a normal living room. Nothing fancy. Wish it were a Opera House :)

It’s a bit more musical, has better flow and sounds more fuller with more presence as compared to the EMT phono. Instruments buried a bit in the mix are fleshed out better. Dynamics, tone, timbre are pretty much the same.

Sure Captain. Right now building repairs are still going on. So I don’t listen to my system. Will take another 45 days at least. After that you can come over anytime

Minimalistic and yet maximum! Dream setup really.

I get a sense you place speakers in such a way where acoustic treatment is not required, would it be fair to say?

also, your thoughts on speakers need not be perfectly aligned rather focus on how it sounds(as in one speaker can be slightly further into the room than the other etc. )

Pardon if this is off topic.

Jenson, I prefer to set up speakers so as to avoid any room treatment. In the past i have had room treatment done by professionals but somehow never liked the sound.

As far as possible, I align speakers perfectly so that they are on the exact same line.

OP did a great commentary on Prem's system and his music. People have raved over his setup for years and he seems to be continuously setting new benchmarks for himself with every iteration. Somehow never took the time off to request him for a listening session. Have started traveling again now.

Prem, will ping you and see if I can visit after your building repairs are completed. I keep coming to Mumbai very often.

Cheers

Jenson, I prefer to set up speakers so as to avoid any room treatment. In the past i have had room treatment done by professionals but somehow never liked the sound.

As far as possible, I align speakers perfectly so that they are on the exact same line.
No room treatment for me either. They compress midrange and highs too much for my liking.

This is more of "A Friday" but spent a solid 4 hours today listening to prems system
In summary , the system grabs you by the ears and bewilders you with music which you may have heard 100s of times but with a presentation I have never heard before. Very difficult to put into words .
  • The micro and macro dynamics where a whisper is soft but clear and a kick drum hits you in the stomach
  • You can feel the tension in the air due to a pulled string instrument or a flute
  • A deep organic and richly articulated bass
  • The smallest of background sounds one has never paid attention to suddenly becomes an important part of the fabric .you actually start paying attention to the background singers skill..something I tend to ignore
  • The sound is equally good anywhere in the room, just a change in tonality and the music plays big with a soundstage depth which is uncanny
All of the above and more with such a touch or realism tonthe voice where one can really feel the emotion in the voice right from Lata to Kishore to Clapton.

I have never before heard a system even in prems own house which can get the combination of resolution as well as musicality right to this extent!

On a lighter note , I would not wish to have such a system since I doubt if i would be able to listen to any system after that 😀

Last edited:
Was a fun 4 hrs. Thanks Arjun for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed the system.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back