A very rough patch in hi-fi journey, reinstating my Onkyo AVR TX-NR 818 - Need help!!

Re: A very rough patch in hi-fi journey, reinstating my Onkyo AVR TX-NR 818 - Need he

Hi Elangoas,
I can only attempt to know how such a loss would feel, a week back my Philips HT refused to give out sound due to a board issue and it was very annoying, so i can see how it must've felt to see such an amazing piece of Receiver go dead.
Good that you shared your experience, will help others to take informed decisions and make sure their AV is taken care of when it comes to surge protection and all.
So what next? Are you planning on getting a new receiver or already bought?

Re: A very rough patch in hi-fi journey, reinstating my Onkyo AVR TX-NR 818 - Need he

Hi Elangoas,
I can only attempt to know how such a loss would feel, a week back my Philips HT refused to give out sound due to a board issue and it was very annoying, so i can see how it must've felt to see such an amazing piece of Receiver go dead.
Good that you shared your experience, will help others to take informed decisions and make sure their AV is taken care of when it comes to surge protection and all.
So what next? Are you planning on getting a new receiver or already bought?

Thanx machinfinity.. Yes it is a wonderful AVR..Only because itz performance was such good, i took these steps..

Nope.. Having spent on speakers recently (Klipsch) and blown the budget, am not planning for a new receiver for now.. Actually my idea was to wait & somehow get the AVR reinstated and use it until i upgrade to Atmos & DTS X capable receiver...

In the interim period, got hold of a Marantz SR5200 (non HDMI) receiver from my friend.. Will be using it until i reinstate this AVR (or) until i go for the new one..

Sorry to hijack this thread.

A salute you for your patience to get to the root cause.

But for ordinary lay folks who aren't that smart in gadgets, but own a lot of them - what are the precautions we should take please? Like everyone else, I too have a landline and broadband from ACT and I have network cables from the router to my desktop. Hence will be good to share the advice in times of rains. Thanks in advance for all the help!

But for ordinary lay folks who aren't that smart in gadgets, but own a lot of them - what are the precautions we should take please? Like everyone else, I too have a landline and broadband from ACT and I have network cables from the router to my desktop. Hence will be good to share the advice in times of rains. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Thanks arnprasad.

Best thing would be to switch off all the AV devices and unplug them immediately when you see lightning.. Atleast till it eases out..

Shouldn't be a problem to use when it is only "raining"... I have used many times like that..

If you have a telephone + broadband and you live in a high rise building, it would be BEST to unplug the telephone cable from the splitter box.. That seems to be the culprit in my case & an other FM who reported the same..

+1 to this thought, Salute for taking that much pain to save your hard earned investment.My best wishes are with you dear. God Bless

This is very disheartening to hear, elangoas.

Assuming you are still trying to make it work, have you checked whether there is sound output from pre out ?

+1 to this thought, Salute for taking that much pain to save your hard earned investment.My best wishes are with you dear. God Bless

Many Thanks Mandeep

This is very disheartening to hear, elangoas.

Assuming you are still trying to make it work, have you checked whether there is sound output from pre out ?

Nope.. I haven't checked that..If there is no output to speakers, i guess there should be no pre-out too..

The thing is AVR switches on fine now, every input works on it, I get video output too on the TV (HDMI -Main), but there is no output to speakers..

I had connected 2 speakers to the AVR, when connected to PC nad played stereo thru HDMI, it must light up the 2 speaker small boxes for left & right on the AVR display which is not happening..

Many Thanks Mandeep

Nope.. I haven't checked that..If there is no output to speakers, i guess there should be no pre-out too..

The thing is AVR switches on fine now, every input works on it, I get video output too on the TV (HDMI -Main), but there is no output to speakers..

I had connected 2 speakers to the AVR, when connected to PC nad played stereo thru HDMI, it must light up the 2 speaker small boxes for left & right on the AVR display which is not happening..

Did it pass through audio via HDMI? As someone mentioned, try the pre outs too along with anything that makes it react. Will hell isolate the problem.

MaSh

Did it pass through audio via HDMI? As someone mentioned, try the pre outs too along with anything that makes it react. Will hell isolate the problem.

MaSh

Thx MaSh.. I think it did, but not very sure.. I did see PCM lit up on the AVR menu thru PC playback.. Yes will check for that too..

Right now awaiting the HDMI board from Onkyo.. Will check all these pointers when i fix it and update here..

One important thing that i forgot to update -

I was thinking to use atleast the Digital optical/co-axial inputs on the AVR even if the HDMI ports didn't work.. Later the local technician updated me that the DAC and other video processing chips are integrated on the HDMI board and the other digital inputs are hard wired to this board.. That is bad..

Even if the HDMI board/ports fail, the user should have an option to use the other digital inputs.. The DAC should have been a separate board..

Is this the same way other AVR manufacturer's do it too? Can anyone confirm if their AVR's HDMI port/Board failed but were able to use Digital inputs?

Last edited by a moderator:

One important thing that i forgot to update -

I was thinking to use atleast the Digital optical/co-axial inputs on the AVR even if the HDMI ports didn't work.. Later the local technician updated me that the DAC and other video processing chips are integrated on the HDMI board and the other digital inputs are hard wired to this board.. That is bad..

Even if the HDMI board/ports fail, the user should have an option to use the other digital inputs.. The DAC should have been a separate board..

Is this the same way other AVR manufacturer's do it too? Can anyone confirm if their AVR's HDMI port/Board failed but were able to use Digital inputs?

Did you try the optical input? My earlier Denon had a bad HDMI port. It had no issues accepting input from coaxial or optical inputs, deciding and playing speakers.

MaSh

Did you try the optical input?

Nope MaSh.. The technician had updated me that he had tried that, but no output to speakers.. What i missed to check with him was if it was displaying any information on the front panel..

My earlier Denon had a bad HDMI port. It had no issues accepting input from coaxial or optical inputs, deciding and playing speakers. MaSh

Oh that is nice..Good info..

Since you like the AVR model so much , why dont you try getting a used one ? It should be cheaper than repair your own

Since you like the AVR model so much , why dont you try getting a used one ? It should be cheaper than repair your own

I didn't try that route.. Even if i did, am very sure the price is going to be very high..

I got the AVR for 43K from Kuwait while the India price was 95K.. Assuming someone got this 818 in in India for 90K and planning to upgrade to atmos, am sure they are not letting it go for <50K :)

Hello elangoas!
Well they say misery needs company. I think I should say I found one in you! I have Onkyo TX-NR828 bought in grey market about 10 months ago, when my Denon 1909 HDMI board got shot. It worked well till late last month.

Last month there was some problem with the transformer of electricity board and and my inverter's mother board got shorted and some electric fittings at home also got shorted. My wife told me that one of the speaker was making a periodic noise.

After witnessing the popping noise myself I reset the receiver removed all the connections and then reconnected them all. I turned on the receiver and it promptly turned on. Then I observed that I had not connected the centre speaker. Absent minded I connected the speaker terminals while the receiver was on. The receiver turned off and went in to protection mode and how much ever I try it just does not turn on. I contacted the onkyo at chennai and was turned down as it was not bought from them. I sent the receiver to a mechanic at Hyderabad. Then I found the service manual for the model and sent a copy to the mechanic. The receiver, he says turns on if the main fuses are removed but no output to speakers and turns off completely if the fuses are connected.
Of course compared to the ordeal you had gone through mine is, effort wise, minimal. But my main intention is to share the issue and see if any kind of solution is suggested by experienced forum members, which in turn might help people in future.
Thank you

Last edited:

Hello elangoas!
Well they say misery needs company. I think I should say I found one in you! I have Onkyo TX-NR828 bought in grey market about 10 months ago, when my Denon 1909 HDMI board got shot. It worked well till late last month.

Last month there was some problem with the transformer of electricity board and and my inverter's mother board got shorted and some electric fittings at home also got shorted. My wife told me that one of the speaker was making a periodic noise.

After witnessing the popping noise myself I reset the receiver removed all the connections and then reconnected them all. I turned on the receiver and it promptly turned on. Then I observed that I had not connected the centre speaker. Absent minded I connected the speaker terminals while the receiver was on. The receiver turned off and went in to protection mode and how much ever I try it just does not turn on. I contacted the onkyo at chennai and was turned down as it was not bought from them. I sent the receiver to a mechanic at Hyderabad. Then I found the service manual for the model and sent a copy to the mechanic. The receiver, he says turns on if the main fuses are removed but no output to speakers and turns off completely if the fuses are connected.
Of course compared to the ordeal you had gone through mine is, effort wise, minimal. But my main intention is to share the issue and see if any kind of solution is suggested by experienced forum members, which in turn might help people in future.
Thank you

Oh no... Grey market stuff, Onkyo will turn you down all the time.. Only if you have a purchase bill from an authorised Onkyo distributor, they accommodate..

Good luck on reinstating your AVR...

Update here..

My friends cousin is planning to come down to India from Singapore during Diwali next month end.. So he has assured me to get the HDMI board..

Dropped the idea of fixing it anymore..Thinking of swapping the AVR..

I also spoke with local technician and asked if he could help me sell the HDMI board and my dead AVR for any reasonable offer..

There is no chance that they would give me cash for my HDMI board & AVR, so need to swap it for a grey market AVR...

Also see that Denon x x300 series also has been released.. Eyeing Denon x3300...

Let me see what works..

Any idea on what would be the fair price for a dead AVR ?

Hello Elangaos,

It would be better for you to try and sell the spares/parts of the AVR which is working separately.

If you sell the whole lot you may not get a lot of money for it.

Best would be to try Electronic repair shops who are always on the look out for spare board and parts.

Dont take the AVR with you and ask. Instead take pictures of your AVR on your phone and ask the relevant shops. Give it to the shop who gives you the best price.

Best of luck and so sorry for your unfortunate mishap. My heart goes out to you.

I have been reading your thread from the beginning but did not comment as I am also in the same position with my CRT TV on which I have invested more than Rs 10,000/- worth of parts with no results. :( :(. So I can feel the common pain for us.

Best of luck and so sorry for your unfortunate mishap. My heart goes out to you.

I have been reading your thread from the beginning but did not comment as I am also in the same position with my CRT TV on which I have invested more than Rs 10,000/- worth of parts with no results. :( :(. So I can feel the common pain for us.

Thanks very much Vinod. Oh no.. Picture tube? Off late been reading lot of threads on some or other electronics failure..

Hello Elangaos,

It would be better for you to try and sell the spares/parts of the AVR which is working separately.

If you sell the whole lot you may not get a lot of money for it.

Best would be to try Electronic repair shops who are always on the look out for spare board and parts.

Dont take the AVR with you and ask. Instead take pictures of your AVR on your phone and ask the relevant shops. Give it to the shop who gives you the best price.

Ok Great.. I get your idea... There is place in Chennai, Ritchie street which is very popular for all kinds of electronic stuff.. The local technician has access to ppl there, who service AVR's..

AVR works fine.. It switches on, switches inputs, OSD works, sends out video, reads USB ports, only nagging thing is no output to speakers...

All i know is Microprocessor Control Unit works which is worth 7K, HDMI board might fetch 15K max as it is brand new..

Anyways when i negotiate with them & if am not clear, will udpdate here..

I will also upload some pics of the service menu that the local technician accessed thru to see if i can get any help here..

Not the picture tube. It is in perfect and new condition as when it was bought.

It is the board. No one is able to figure out the problem. It is one of these dual track boards. I have bought a digi comb board from china - Rs 4000, new spares - Rs 1000, coils - Rs 500, service and shipping charges - Rs 4000 near abouts.

Places I took it for service with no result:

1) Panasonic Service Centre Bangalore - failed
2) High Technician local - failed
3) SP Road Technician - failed
4) All Karnataka Technicians group (Top notch guy) - failed
5) Kerala Technician (Incompetent) - failed
6) Panasonic Service Centre Thrissur - failed

NO RESULT. STILL HAVE THE TV SITTING AT HOME. I AM STILL TEMPTED AS IT WAS A TOP NOTCH TV OF ITS TIME. (cry cry cry).

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back