About digital audio out

ganendra

I have recently purchased a 32 inch samsung led tv.
It has a digital optical out port.I want to know
1) Does this output port provides 5.1 DTS true audio?
2) I have to purchase a 5.1 speaker system with digital optical input port?

My TATA SKY HD stb has a coaxial output. So if the speaker system has coaxial input port then can I connect those ports to listen 5.1 tru DTS?

SONY 5.1 HTS has those ports but they are on the back panel of blueray or dvd player.
Is it possible t listen HD channel sound or SD channel sound through this HTS?

1. Most TVs support Dolby Digital and only a few support DTS. Check the user manual to see if your TV supports DTS.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, but Tatasky and all other DTH use DD and not DTS.

4. Do you have Sony HTS? If not then don't bother about buying one, get yourself a better HTiB like Onkyo 3500 which has all types of connectivity options.

Thanks for your information
You suggested me about onkoyo, but it has no service center at my location.Pls suggest
1)Can I listen DD with sony DVD or Blue ray based home theatre?
I have a 5.1 home theatre which have all analog inputs at the back of oofer, but in the case of sony I found on the net that all input/output ports are on the back of DVD/Blue ray player, then how can I listen sound of tatasky channel through this type of home theatres? Pls suggest.

If you are not very short on budget, stay away from Sony, as baijuxavier wrote. Kolkata is not very far from your place. You can check Siliguri also. Better do some research on the net for Onkyo,Yamaha,Wharfdale.

Thanks for your information
You suggested me about onkoyo, but it has no service center at my location.Pls suggest
1)Can I listen DD with sony DVD or Blue ray based home theatre?
I have a 5.1 home theatre which have all analog inputs at the back of oofer, but in the case of sony I found on the net that all input/output ports are on the back of DVD/Blue ray player, then how can I listen sound of tatasky channel through this type of home theatres? Pls suggest.

If the blueray/DVD HT supports optical and/or coaxial digital audio input then you can connect the relevant digital out from STB to these.

I can't understand why you say to stay away from sony, SONY is my favourite brand for audio system (Sorry boss I have very limited Idea about electronics, I just believe "If it is sony this is best" and I have no Idea about YAMAHA,ONKOYO) and I google that YAMAHA has no service center in SILIGURI.And Oh! My budget is strictly upto 18 to 20k.

Dude! How tough it is to spell onkyo correctly after so many people have already spelled it in the same thread??
And if you want to believe sony is the best then no body can help you.
But if you've made the effort to post in a hifi forum, then you sure can check the brands mentioned above in kolkata.
Hifi audio is a passion, either you want it or not. If you do want, then kolkata is not far from siliguri. Many of us here have taken the risk to buy stuff which doesnt have any service in India, leave alone our own city.
So if you have the passion, take the plunge and go to kolkata to check out the brands mentioned by some super helpful guys here!

Hi baijuxavior
Thanks for your repeated reply :).As I said earlier that I have very limited knowledge in this field :mad:.Probably I can't make u understand the thing.I only want to listen 5.1 dolby digital sound from tatasky hd set top box. I am very interested that how sweet to listen it.But u and other guys advised such HTS which is very costly. Please read.............

1) I have a 5.1 speaker system and so far I know that every important electronic thing is in
subwoofer to create sound and I thought that DVD based home theatres of SONY,LG,
PHILIPS would be same.But I found that each and every I/O ports are on the back panel of
DVD and I become confused.

2) Can I set up the system like this to listen DD sound of HD channel

http://postimg.org/image/66uyg77wn/

3) Pls look the link for HTS and I don't need any high end device
Philips - 5.1 Home theater HTS2512/94 - 5.1 Home theater - Home cinema sound - Sound and vision

4) Pls help me how to upload a picture

I am sure that you will help me

Last edited:
Do you already own a Sony HT system or are you planning to buy a new HT .

If you already own a home theatre let us know the model number so that we can guide you on the connections

The usual procedure is to take the co axial digital out from STB and connect it to the HT speaker system

get an onkyo 3400 at 24k and be happy..which is only 4k higher than ur max budget.at promises kolkata/e bay you will get emis..so dont worry
stop reasearching about sony lg phillips etc..
this is the min stuff u need as u said your main objectice is to fetch DD fro m ts hd..so this is the way

if only tv..no dvds or blu ray is concern..and budgt is very strict...and u dont need DD

you can get a simple astonia/norge amp at 5k/9k and a pair of sonodyne bs/diy bs/used bs..... at 12k/maybe less..
that would be also very very nice and powerful for tv only use..
try e bay and hifimart

still...want to waste money..please go ahead and get lg sony samsung phillips whatever..here everyone trying to help..

Last edited:
If you are not very short on budget, stay away from Sony, as baijuxavier wrote. Kolkata is not very far from your place. You can check Siliguri also. Better do some research on the net for Onkyo,Yamaha,Wharfdale.

is it a photo from net or he lives with you:)..your avatar

1. Which is the speaker system you currently own

2. Yes, you can connect it that way and get surround sound.

3. This Phillips system has both optical and coaxial in so you can connect the coaxial out of dth or optical out of tv to it.

4. I usually use tinypic.com to upload images. It is free. After uploading post the

Last edited:
Please see tis pic. I have planned and would this serve my minimum requirement with philips dvd based ht I am going to buy

the link of photo

View image: GANENDRA

the link of philips ht is
Philips - 5.1 Home theater HTS2512/94 - 5.1 Home theater - Home cinema sound - Sound and vision

Yes this HT you mentioned is capable of taking digital audio inputs.
However, please be warned you will not be able to enjoy good quality sound with this model. Looks like you are not too keen on good SQ. At least, try to get a audition of the same before you spend your bucks. The common complaint of these new Philips models is that they have very low sound output. Also check reviews online.

However, please be warned you will not be able to enjoy good quality sound with this model. Looks like you are not too keen on good SQ. At least, try to get a audition of the same before you spend your bucks. The common complaint of these new Philips models is that they have very low sound output. Also check reviews online.

This is absolutely why all FMs are suggesting you to stay away from such mass market products. Also these products do not have upgradeability, you cannot upgrade your DVD Player to Blu Ray player in the HT and keep rest unchanged, these companies will force you to buy the whole system again, but if you go via separates routes then you can upgrade anything at anytime and if maintained well they will last double of your normal Philips, lg, sony HT

Sorry boss :sad: I am very careless about spelling and was ranked very low in school for this reson:yahoo: But thanks to all of you for fedbacking every day, this is my out of expectation:signthankspin:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back