AC Polarity ! HI Fi-Fuse ! Myth or Fact ?

supersaiyan

My friend advised me to double-check the AC polarity on my 2-pin amp and CD player, suggesting that incorrect polarity might cause unwanted currents and noise issues. After thorough examination, everything seemed in order. But is there any truth to this notion? I mean, it's called AC (Alternating Current) for a reason, right?

Additionally, my friend recommended upgrading the original fuse in my amplifier. Given the fuse's significance in the power supply, I'm considering a high-quality hi-fi fuse as an enhancement. However, it got me thinking: don't high-end brands already incorporate top-notch components in their flagship models, including fuses? 🤔

What are your thoughts on this? Have you ever explored these aspects of your audio setup?

My friend advised me to double-check the AC polarity on my 2-pin amp and CD player, suggesting that incorrect polarity might cause unwanted currents and noise issues. After thorough examination, everything seemed in order. But is there any truth to this notion? I mean, it's called AC (Alternating Current) for a reason, right?

Additionally, my friend recommended upgrading the original fuse in my amplifier. Given the fuse's significance in the power supply, I'm considering a high-quality hi-fi fuse as an enhancement. However, it got me thinking: don't high-end brands already incorporate top-notch components in their flagship models, including fuses? 🤔

What are your thoughts on this? Have you ever explored these aspects of your audio setup?
Incorrect polarity can create hum/noise in few setups. All depends on the setup really so there is some truth to it.

I have the unfortunate pair of ears that hear the difference and so, I have Synergistic Research Orange fuse all across my system.

As a principle of life, one should trust one's friend :).

I have the unfortunate pair of ears that hear the difference and so, I have Synergistic Research Orange fuse all across my system.

As a principle of life, one should trust one's friend :).
when you switched to high end fuse, was the difference audible to you? Also your take on polarity ?

In my monoblocks I have a fuse and thermistor bypass switch. Both the fuse and thermistor are engaged during power on cold start and if required after say 5 minutes you can engage the bypass switch. The idea originally was to reduce contact resistance. Also my thermistor cold resistance is 12 ohms. The bypass switch offers very low impedance path to the power supply. So much for the technicalities.

Do you hear any difference- on /off for the bypass switch. For my ears it's difficult to judge. Someone with golden ears can probably hear differences. Off late I am not engaging the switch at all because with the switch engaed any cold start will trip my MCB due to large turn-on surge current.

when you switched to high end fuse, was the difference audible to you? Also your take on polarity ?
Just Remove the Existing Fuse and put it in reverse direction to how it was originally seated, if you hear a difference ; you're most likely to hear a difference with Upgraded Audiophile Fuse from SR or Hifi Tuning.
If you don't hear a difference, start bashing subjectivists and Enjoy. 😎

@supersaiyan : not related to audio, but here's my strange experience - my washing machine logic controller board (the board that controls the buttons/softkeys) became faulty three times, and the cost of repairing was not trivial, and it was adding up to a substantial portion of the initial cost of the washing machine. On the third occasion the technician who came to install the repaired board mentioned that the 16A power socket to which the washing machine was connected had the live and neutral reversed. I also confirmed it with a lamp tester, and I promptly corrected it. After that the machine never broke down again. My understanding was reversing the AC live and neutral leads doesn't matter as far as supplying power to a connected device, although it's most certainly a bad practice.

Your friend might be onto something worth listening.

Polarity, never checked, in fact, never knew that this could be an issue. As for the effect of the fuse, you should get a blacker background, to keep it simple and the rest depends on how you perceive the changes.

Whats more important is that the fuse must always be in hot is Line and not in the N since you want that to blow before any of the other components than the other way around.

Hence please do make sure its the right polarity...any effect on sound is secondary.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back