Acoustic Portrait | Pre & Power amplifier combo

keith_correa

Guys, does anyone have the Acoustic Portrait Pre & Power amp combo in their equipment?

How does this combo sound?

Any comparisons with other pre power amps in the same price range would be welcome.

Also, if folks who possess these amp's post responses - can you please mention:
  • The genre of music you listen to
  • The partnering equipment [speakers & CDP is specifically important]
  • Price paid for the pre & power amp

For the record, I mainly listen to rock, metal and country music.

One forum member Dr. BASS has Acoustic Portrait Pre & Power amp combo (which was on Sale some times back) check with him. Another forum member SQAURE_WAVE also has /had Acoustic Portrait Pre amp.

Its a nice amp combo all round but you have to be a bit careful with the partnering equipment. If you are in bangalore, you can check it out at your place and then decide. Elsewhere I'm not sure.

Its a nice amp combo all round but you have to be a bit careful with the partnering equipment. If you are in bangalore, you can check it out at your place and then decide. Elsewhere I'm not sure.

Actually, I'm setting up a system from scratch so I need recommendations on partnering equipment for the pre-power combo too.
Also, IMO "nice" = not good enough. Now, "excellent" would be something else.
Thanks for your response though.

Actually, I'm setting up a system from scratch so I need recommendations on partnering equipment for the pre-power combo too.
Also, IMO "nice" = not good enough. Now, "excellent" would be something else.
Thanks for your response though.

Well the preamp is brilliant for the price no doubt. Its the power amp that I'm not completely convinced about. Seems to lack that haunting and smooth mid-range with certain speaker combinations. With others, it works very well.

Well the preamp is brilliant for the price no doubt. Its the power amp that I'm not completely convinced about. Seems to lack that haunting and smooth mid-range with certain speaker combinations. With others, it works very well.

Some say that this pre-power combo is the best that they have heard - even compared to some double or triple the price but that they work best in tandem. Oh well, to each their own. Maybe they need good partnering speakers to bring out their best. Wonder what those would be though.

Have heard the pre-amp + tube amp + speakers (scan speak drivers ) combo

and havent heard anything better :)

it is unbelievably good .

but my experience is limited so take it with a pinch of salt

ed: think may not have been clear enough all of them were made by Mr.Siva

Last edited:
Hey what speakers are you planning to run with this ? in the end the Amp needs to work with the speaker .

From a quality perspective this is really good product..you just need to check if it gels with your ears and your speakers !

I have the preamp.
A friend of mine use the slightly lower version of my preamp (not in production now) and the power amp.
DR Bass is upgrading to a very exotic passive preamp costing upwards of 1.5 lakh. He prefers that with his Symphonic line power amplifier. I have extensively listened to his system with the existing preamp with three different speaker systems. I have been very impressed.
From my experience with these, they are top class. Hi-end audio. Try and hear them and decide.

Most of his customers are veteran folks who have upgraded from branded gear costing double or triple the cost of these.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back