Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga vs Teac UD-501

Captain, did you pick up the HagDAC from Siva?

If that is the case then yes - that DAC was offered at a special price because the original owner was upgrading to the new DAC. That particular DAC was based on the HagDAC module (PCM1704), custom built with a tube output stage (ECC88) with very high quality components. Parts alone cost about Rs 68k. Only SPDIF input. External USB-2-SPDIF converter needed for using with USB.

Not that one, it is with 1541 Chip and costed him around Rs.2x K.

regards

Hey Nikhil, I'm not sure it is the Hag DAC. It had dual Philip 1541 chips with tube output stage. Each stage had elaborate power supplies; there were three transformers. It was built like a tank.

Captrajesh: Yes it is dual TDA1541 DAC (NOS) with tube output stage (we both only went to listen before you picked it up). I do not think AP has even taken the component cost from you. I myself have assembled a similar DAC with single TDA 1541 chip (with Solid state output stage) about 4 years back. The kit alone costed me 220 USD + Shipping + Customs duty + Transformer (bought locally) + all RCA + Casing + etc.

AP Thiyaga DAC is a complete different piece of instrument which support Async USB 24/192, two co-ax input, one optical, single ended and differential outputs. The USB driver is also provided when you buy the DAC. I myself listened this DAC against few DAC/CDP costing 3-4 folds at Siva's place at different occasion and there is no comparison ...

Just my inputs...

Venu

How revealing is the Thiyaga?
What is the minimum SQ that you would throw at it? 320 kbps? Can you do 256 kbps (iTunes downloads)? How about Indian CDs of Bollywood music?
If you wanted to play these, would you prefer the Teac to the Thiyaga?

Simple fact of the matter is a good source will sound good with whatever recording you throw at it. It will faithfully reproduce 'music' - what ever there is in the recording. Only a bad source will sound bad.

Afraid I am probably not experienced enough to understand that.
Do you mean its only the source that matters and not the bit rate?

How revealing is the Thiyaga?
What is the minimum SQ that you would throw at it? 320 kbps? Can you do 256 kbps (iTunes downloads)? How about Indian CDs of Bollywood music?
If you wanted to play these, would you prefer the Teac to the Thiyaga?

Naturelover don't worry too much about the file format. The file - format and resolution etc - is only a "container" ... the original content is what matters.

The Thiyaga DAC is very musical and will render anything you throw at it very well. You will hear exactly what is in your chain. Building a setup around the Thiyaga DAC will be a very solid step towards your plan to build a "proper" setup. The Thiyaga DAC will be a proper source which will play the central role in your music system much akin to a "Center Half" playing skipper on a football team. It will not make a false step and you can be sure if you hear something amiss it is not the DAC. You will max out your other gear long before you will reach the limits of the Thiyaga DAC.

Last edited:
I do need to travel to Hyderabad and Bangalore soon!

Naturelover don't worry too much about the file format. The file - format and resolution etc - is only a "container" ... the original content is what matters.

The Thiyaga DAC is very musical and will render anything you throw at it very well. You will hear exactly what is in your chain. Building a setup around the Thiyaga DAC will be a very solid step towards your plan to build a "proper" setup. The Thiyaga DAC will be a proper source which will play the central role in your music system much akin to a "Center Half" playing skipper on a football team. It will not make a false step and you can be sure if you hear something amiss it is not the DAC. You will max out your other gear long before you will reach the limits of the Thiyaga DAC.

I do not think AP has even taken the component cost from you.
Yes I'm sure.
AP Thiyaga DAC is a complete different piece of instrument which support Async USB 24/192, two co-ax input, one optical, single ended and differential outputs. The USB driver is also provided when you buy the DAC. I myself listened this DAC against few DAC/CDP costing 3-4 folds at Siva's place at different occasion and there is no comparison .
If and when I have a budget and decide to buy a commercial DAC, AP Thiyaga will be on top of my list.

I have two DACs..one is Schiit Gungnir and second is NAD MDC DAC.
SONG Badal frpm movie Yuva-AR Rahman
When played thru Gungnir...it plays like normal melodios song with balanced instruments level.
When played thru Nad Dac..it gives feeling of discotheque,means the song intended to throw music..
Same thing happens with Song- Namak ishq ka from film Omkara..

So gungnir is designed in view of all sofisticated music ...
In my view select three songs which are from diffetent leauge..and have audion of them ,whatever Dac u r going to audition...

AP are down to their last unit of the Thyaga DAC in stock. I don't know if/when they would be making more

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back