Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga vs Teac UD-501

I've heard the AP at a private listening session. It can make some recordings into ear bleeding experiences. One my all time favorite albums that has a somewhat bright recording was unbearable. On the other hand it has this ability to make everything sound exciting like a live performance. You are safe with the AP if you have speakers with a mellow voicing or dark sounding gear.

G0bble
I listened to it with spendor speakers , it was great . looks like your description matches

Last edited:
I have never heard this particular Teac DAC. But knowing what Teac has been upto in the last decade, for a meaningful comparison with the thyaga DAC, you might need to step into the Esoteric range from Teac.

Thyaga needs to be matched with the right kind of synergetic gear for one to know what that Dac is capable of.

My living room has no wall on one side, not very good for hifi.

Yes, I have been in touch with Santy. He is very happy with the Teac!

Could you suggest some speakers for AP?
Some people have suggested Scansonic driver based speakers for AP. Are these mellow, dark?

The ones I heard very briefly that sounded wonderfully mellow are plain drivers tested for working condition so I wont mention them until I build an enclosure for them. But fellow FMs might be able to recommend some readymade speakers perhaps.
I had a dark sounding setup for a while and it was caused by NOS mullard 12AU7s and the preamp not the speakers.

What speakers do you use currently? Would you call your system as tending towards bright?

Edit: If I were to be purchasing a new dac the AP would easily be in the top 3 of my list.

G0bble

Last edited:
These speakers are no longer made by AP. What are the options for speakers with AP?
Will Siva make them again?
Is this, at a guess, gvenu's setup?

Siva driver of choice are the Scanspeak Revelators.
Finding a good speaker with these drivers is not easy.

As far as I know Siva is done with speaker only projects although he will build you a set if he can get at least 2-3 pairs lined up. Given that he is now committed to active crossovers - this further lessens the options unless you want to go active as well.

Pricing for Thyga DAC is overkill and not affordable to all. I personally like the old AP DAC which is worth to keep and shoot the 1L range of DAC's down.. (which Jai bought from Captn)

Pricing for Thyga DAC is overkill and not affordable to all. I personally like the old AP DAC which is worth to keep and shoot the 1L range of DAC's down.. (which Jai bought from Captn)

It depends on what you compare it with . For the quality of Output it is truly in the Hi Fi level of 5K USD and more dacs. It is supposedly better than the reimyo

Comparatively the Teac is more of Mid Fi (which is not really a bad thing !)

It depends on what you compare it with . For the quality of Output it is truly in the Hi Fi level of 5K USD and more dacs. It is supposedly better than the reimyo

Comparatively the Teac is more of Mid Fi (which is not really a bad thing !)

Agreed. + Teac cannot be compared with AP Thyaga;)

I had a dark sounding setup for a while and it was caused by NOS mullard 12AU7s and the preamp not the speakers.

What speakers do you use currently? Would you call your system as tending towards bright?

G0bble

I presently have Energy Veritas 2.2i but I am contemplating a complete change of rig. I wouldn't call my system bright. Actually the Arcam A70 amp (used as pre with Arcam P80 power) got fried in an electrical problem in the house wiring.

Siva driver of choice are the Scanspeak Revelators.
Finding a good speaker with these drivers is not easy.

As far as I know Siva is done with speaker only projects although he will build you a set if he can get at least 2-3 pairs lined up. Given that he is now committed to active crossovers - this further lessens the options unless you want to go active as well.

Would you like to have one pair? I have not heard any actives so far.

How much is it? Siva hasn't replied to my mail. Maybe he will soon.

Siva took very long to reply to my mail as well as normally he's very busy. Please call him. He responds immediately. The number is on the AP website.

Siva hasn't replied to my mail. Maybe he will soon.

I've been trying to get in touch too. But I haven't heard back yet, neither to the email I sent nor the SMS. I'd really like to hear the Acoustic Portrait products but so far, it's turning out to be really difficult! :)

OK, just noticed the post from reignofchaos I guess I'd better call then.

Its even better to go to his place if you are in Bangalore and listen to his setup in real :). Siva is one amazing guy to talk to.

-John.

Its even better to go to his place if you are in Bangalore and listen to his setup in real :). Siva is one amazing guy to talk to.

-John.

Yeah, I would love that. I'm out of town for a couple of days and will call when I return to set up an audition, hopefully over the weekend. Where is his place?

Would you like to have one pair? I have not heard any actives so far.

Have been talking to Siva on this for a while but have now decided to stay with a passive setup.

How much is it? Siva hasn't replied to my mail. Maybe he will soon.

The AP Thiyaga DAC costs approx Rs 90k. Siva might have to revise the prices due to the change in USD rates.

Interesting comment. Just curious what makes you say that.
Is it just the price level of the DAC or is it based on your listening impressions?

Interesting comment. Just curious what makes you say that.
Is it just the price level of the DAC or is it based on your listening impressions?

Listening impressions + Price factor. I have heard both DAC's with an slight modification(tube rolling) old DAC impressed me/+ few others with itz purity and straight forward sound.

I personally like the old AP DAC which is worth to keep and shoot the 1L range of DAC's down.. (which Jai bought from Captn)

That DAC is not their regular product but a one off piece. Considering how well made the DAC was, pricing given to me wouldn't have had any margins.

Captain, did you pick up the HagDAC from Siva?

If that is the case then yes - that DAC was offered at a special price because the original owner was upgrading to the new DAC. That particular DAC was based on the HagDAC module (PCM1704), custom built with a tube output stage (ECC88) with very high quality components. Parts alone cost about Rs 68k. Only SPDIF input. External USB-2-SPDIF converter needed for using with USB.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back