Acoustic treatment vs Digital room correction or equalizers

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised to find a lot of threads in this section. And not surprised to see how little traffic there is here. People find it much more fun to play around with boxes of eye candy embellished kit.
By the way, LaKozy has the DSpeaker - Rs 89000. Only makes some sense if used as a DAC+Preamp+Room equaliser.

Any place in India where I can demo/purchase Deqx Premate or Lyngdorf RP-1 room correction systems ?

How do they compare with other similar systems ?

I kept feeling there was a boxy sound with my new speakers and amp in the lower mid bass - Jim Reeve's lower octaves seemed to be a bit truncated. I ran a sweep tone through my speakers, and I found recurring dips at a bunch of frequencies - I didnt measure with an SPL meter (plan to do that soon) but it was pretty audible. Instead of finding a peak or a resonance, I'm finding a bunch of dips.

Is this normal room behaviour ?

greenhorn, I remember your mentioning that the walls of your current digs are very thin. I've had the experience of thin (board, non concrete) walls playing hell with the lower registers. A speaker that worked beautifully in a good room was shifted to a bigger room, but one with very thin walls. It sounded tinny, as though the entire speaker itself was playing inside a box.

as though the entire speaker itself was playing inside a box.
That is the exact sound I'm getting! - I'm in a studio apartment, and the room is decently large (couch, bed , kitchen, dining table etc...)

I ran a frequency sweep from youtube and checked it on a frequency analyzer on my phone. Though its not calibrated for absolute levels, I could still see some big (10-20db) dips in between, and a pretty huge one (30+ dB) somewhere around 280-300. I tried 300hz in an online tone generator, and i could notice big differences as I Just shifted position in bed.

My phone mic/app doesnt seem too good in detecting frequencies below 100hz, so I'm not even sure what's going on there.

We make speakers so flat, and then put them in such sad environments, I'm surprised they manage to sound this decent at all!

Not my house, and turning up the bass is not feasible, thanks to my neighbours, so guess I'll have to live with it.

I had moved the speakers away from the walls to avoid bass coupling, but I'm having second thoughts now with the new location

Last edited:
My friend tried a few of placement options, and eventually gave up, mostly because he had the luxury of moving the speakers back into the earlier room.

Perhaps a near field listening style placement might help take out the room's influence, and also deal with the neighbors' troubles at the same time.

Hi,

"The similarity between the different loudspeakers impulse responses at the listening position affects the perception of stage and image"

in the ideal (only allowed ?) case the speakers would be symmetrical with respect to (esp) side wall.

If that is not the case, is there anything that is possible at all - digital or treatment ?

Speaker toe-in, is the only thing I've tried and it seemed to work. Kinda. In my case space LHS speaker has a side wall that is 2x as far as the side wall is to the RHS speaker (shifting house is not an option :indifferent14:)

ciao
gr

Hi,

I came across this on the net which got me very interested in the miniDSP

In a very acoustically challenging room with tiled floor, asymmetric layout and unequal speaker distances, the end result after a bit of tweaking the frequency window is simply amazing / stunning
DDRC-22D | MiniDSP

That seems to be exactly what I need in my room. but at $900 is kinda out of reach. I have read that the Dirac is the way to roll in style but that REW with miniDSP kits should work reasonably well.

My cunning plan is to get a miniDSP and mic (which one ??? with digital inputs), hook it up between my WDTvlive and the DAC on my amp and get my corrected for frequency and phase [after having used the mic/ REW and a PC to listen to the room, setup a filter etc]

I have not been successful in digging out the info i need on the 'net and thought I'd ask on here if the idea is feasible and worthwhile ? and also if there is a miniDSP for dummies kind of site to start with somewhere ?

I am not expecting something magical about long reverberation times or early reflections that should be detrimental to imaging, sound staging and clarity but am hoping I'll find a way to get by with the barest minimum of fiberglass/ rockwool in the room

ciao
gr

Last edited:
The easiest and cheapest is to use a good graphic equalizer to match your sound with the room acoustic........

Thanks Flavio. I am new to this group. What about using Umik and REW to make measurement and then use Foobar2000 or JRiver Media player to use the DRC profiles. Foobar2000 is free and JRiver costs about 50 dollars. I know that this will not be a standalone solution. But would it be as good as Dirac?

Flavio, it is good to talk to someone who really understands Dirac. My interest in the subject is primarily to understand and secondarily to improve my sound system performance. Can you suggest a link that really explains how dirac live (or another DRC) fixes phase shift and why some are more effective than others.

Is REW the only free DRC available? At sometime I had heard of another system but can not find it now.

As I see it there are 7 corrections that are needed in any 2.1 set up.

1. Low frequency standing waves
2. Mid and high frequency first reflections
3. Phase shift between direct and reflected sound
4. Frequency response of all speakers
5. Frequency response errors due to crossover between speakers and individual drivers.
6. Phase difference between speakers
7. Volume difference speakers.

Are there other problens that i have not listed. How does Dirac corrects for them and how well based on theory and practical results.

By the way I did not understand your comment about phase shift between mic and DAC? How does it impact sound quality.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Please note that I work for Dirac Research so my point of view is admittedly biased...

Flavio

Hallo Flavio,
I am sorry to say that your posts are violating Rule No.9 of our forum. You can join as a commercial member by paying appropriate fees and then can promote your product, but until then kindly desist posting about Dirac and other links.
Cheers,
Sid

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back