Active speakers for my home

RahulH

I am looking for active speakers to use in my bedroom (room size approx 20x13 feet) since I dont have the space for any separate amps etc.

Ideally, I am looking for something that also lays through Bluetooth/WIFI. I haven't yet come across any with Bluetooth other than the Epoz Aktimate Blue.

In most cases, the source would be my phone or a laptop.

Would someone be able to comment on some alternatives that I have read about:
AE5+ : Not available
Aktimate Blue: Not available
KRK ROKIT 6 RPG3
Sonodyne SRP 204

I enjoy all music (Jazz, Blues, Rock, EDM, Indian Classical, fusion etc) but need more bass (specially for the EDM, DUB Step etc).

Ideal LF driver would be around 6.5inches since it would be difficult to fit any larger speakers in the bedroom.

One last question: What are the wall mounts available for mounting these heavy speakers?

Unfortunately, Other than the Sonodyne, it is impossible to find any demos in Mumbai as all seem to be available only online.

Since you are looking for Active speakers, i suppose your budget should be a handsome one :eek:hyeah:

I think SRP 204 costs > 80k.. If your source will be mobile/laptop, then you can consider their DAC P1 too which has USB input.. But doesn't have bluetooth & wireless capability...

I wish my budget was more but it stands at a max of 50K.

I am replacing my 5.1 Jamo speakers and the Denon AV receiver with the active speakers due to space constraints so am not looking at other amps.

I read through the Presonus reviews and literature but the others seem to be better at this point.

Will have to check prices of the SRP 4 and may have to knock them off the contenders list if they exceed my budget.

I am looking for active speakers to use in my bedroom (room size approx 20x13 feet) since I dont have the space for any separate amps etc.

Ideally, I am looking for something that also lays through Bluetooth/WIFI. I haven't yet come across any with Bluetooth other than the Epoz Aktimate Blue.

In most cases, the source would be my phone or a laptop.

Would someone be able to comment on some alternatives that I have read about:
AE5+ : Not available
Aktimate Blue: Not available
KRK ROKIT 6 RPG3
Sonodyne SRP 204

I enjoy all music (Jazz, Blues, Rock, EDM, Indian Classical, fusion etc) but need more bass (specially for the EDM, DUB Step etc).

Ideal LF driver would be around 6.5inches since it would be difficult to fit any larger speakers in the bedroom.

One last question: What are the wall mounts available for mounting these heavy speakers?

Unfortunately, Other than the Sonodyne, it is impossible to find any demos in Mumbai as all seem to be available only online.

AE5 available... check proaudiohome.com aka pristine note.. he have multiple options for you.. guy is well known as many fm's have dealt with him before.

Got the KRK Rokit 8 G3 speakers last night and immediately set them up.
Beautiful detail and low end to die for.
Listened across genres: Jazz, Blues, Hip Hop, EDM, Ghazals, Indian Classical, Western Classical.
The sound was fluid, excellent stereo imaging and absolutely no listening fatigue.
Perfect sound in their far from perfect placement.
I wonder what the sound will be like once the speakers have been run in for a while. Looking forward to that :)

A perfect choice for me. Very very very happy :)

Hi rahul
Congrats on your purchase

If you dont mind can you tell me what source are you using and do you have a preamp in between source and speakers
Also have you connected the speakers by balanced or unbalanced connections

Thanks

Cost me 45K on Musicaa.in

Currently using the logitech bluetooth audio adapter (980-000915) with Monster RCA connectors.

Planning to use my Cambridge Audio DAC in a few days to see what difference it makes.

Source is my mobile (Note2) and my Mac Air 2014. The sound is much better from the Macbook Air than my Mobile.

Hi Rahul,
Do look at the newly launched Dali Kubik free seems a likely answer to your dilemmas

Active speaker's main purpose is to record sound and analysis before and after mixing the recorded sound. In home entertainment passive speakers were good, and cost effective.
Sometimes you never like active speaker's sound signature.

I'd used mackie HR824, HR824mk2 and Quad 11L active speakers two years back. To be frank to say I never like its signature.

If you're serious to buy an active speaker, must add a DAC along with active speaker (pre out necessary)

robin

the thing i have noticed is most new buyer are blown away by the detail and transparency of actives
which infact most actives are

once you go up the learning curve as you have expericenced you realise you want something more organic and you need to taste the textures and tone and sometimes the wood and skin of the instruments too

this is when you realise you need either i very high end set of actives or more often go the passive route

However in todays small houses with space being a premium
actives actually do well in many cities of india - mostly since its a one box solution

ANyway
this is OT

the OP has selected a very decent active in any case
at least its not a budget active just for the heck of it

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back