Active speakers for Stereo listening

elangoas

Hi All,

Have been thinking about the idea of Active speakers + a Pre-amp/DAC for a dedicated stereo listening....

Have tentatively considered the Sonodyne DAC P1 & SRP series of speakers... Really liked the big one SRP 800 (8 Inch driver), it was real big.. Dont know what should be ideal room size to consider this....My room is approx 150Sqft size... 14(B) x 11(L) feet....

Usage would be a PC with digital files, Youtube videos, HD STB (Will be using stereo output) all connected to TV thru HDMI & optical out from TV to DAC...

The DAC has both RCA & XLR outputs....The speakers too have XLR inputs.... When you buy an Active speaker, would it include XLR cables ?

Are there any other pointers that i need to consider before i freeze on Active Set-up?

XLR cables are used for long signal runs like say 50 feet and more to minimise interference pickup ( including hum etc.) . For domestic use it isn't going to do anything special. Considering no other problems ( like earth loops etc.), an unbalanced line should sound just as good as an XLR connection.

You should get a demo of the equipment you want to buy and determine if it sounds better than a regular passive good system. Spend some time listening to the competition. Don't worry if the other systems don't have XLR's. ;)

You can easily buy XLR cables from the pro audio market which is quite big in India. You will most likely have to buy the cables yourself. Should be able to get them made to the length you want. If you are good with a soldering iron you can make it up yourself with good connectors and balanced line cables from the market.

I have XLR cables worth 40K too..And it will make difference too.Nordost XLR / Abbey road reference cables.. Come on THAD..

I have heard Yamaha SP50M and sounds good in stereo listening.. Also 15K Edirol have 24/192 DAC inbuilt are good for desktop listening or in a small room stereo setup.

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs....I had good listen to them once and immediately liked it...

How big (or) small drivers should one consider for a room size of 150Sqft....Are there any specific thing as such?

Whilst I agree that there is no real point in balanced cables for runs of a few feet, if you have balanced ouput/input on what you have to connect, then, hey, why not! Spend 400 or 40,000 according to your taste ;).

One of our engineers can correct me if I'm wrong, but --- RCA/Coax interconnects are an accidental "standard." In fact, standard is much too strong a word for it, as I don't think it is actually defined. I think that balanced is defined, and is a superior, engineered technology with superior connectors as well. Superior technology appeals to us audiophiles/gadgetphiles, right? Even if the short-run benefits are mostly theoretical, the noise rejection is built in to the system: you don't have to worry about whether the cable makers have sold it to you or not.

I would not rule out any hifi equipment for lack of balanced connection. In fact, I would think twice about the cost of the extra circuitry involved. But if it's there, I'd use it.

Having said that...

I was using balanced cables from my interface to my M-audio powered speakers. Now that ODAC and a pre-amp have entered on the scene, I have gone unbalanced (but I'm using a Blue Jeans cable :lol:). The advantage of the balanced technology was that levels were much higher, so lower volume-knob setting on the speakers to achieve the same level.

Not all active speakers have a choice. the ones with unbalanced connectors will be those made with a possible desk-top market in mind.

It doesn't matter: you can still connect. Obviously, balanced-->balanced or unbalanced-->unbalanced is no problem, but bal-->unbal or unbal-->bal can also be done with an adapter cable (which you will have to hunt for and may end up making yourself, as I did) or, if you want to be more pro about it, a conversion box, which should also look after the levels.

As to the speakers, apart from the built-in amplification, I think the questions you have to answer are exactly the same as they would be if you were buying passive bookshelves, and the first rule is that small boxes don't go deep. Look at the frequency response (yes, with ears, as well as the specs/review tests ;) ). Even the smaller speakers may "fill the room," but not with deep bass.

Sound On Sound is a good publication/site for pro/semi-pro equipment.
Gearslutz
is a good forum to read reviews/comparisons from people using this stuff.

And, by the way, just on the basis of browsing and reading reports, this is my current desk-top-speaker dream :cool:

Last edited:
Please post more about your experience of the Sonodynes, along with cost, etc.

An active speaker that I am interest in, rather than just dreaming about, and at a much more realistic price for me, is the Equator D5. I have heard these filling a room, maybe about a year ago. They are available from ProMusicals in Chennai. Would be interested in your opinion ---or maybe even joining you for an audition.

That was elaborate & detailed Thad... Appreciate that...So got it. If your component has XLR & RCA, why not use XLR even if the benefits are going to be very minimal....

Regarding Sonodyne Active, i heard them once @Musee Musicals, Mount Road chennai But that was studio Range (SRP)....

The same SRP range of studio is being replicated for Home/Custom installation

Here is the most updated list.... (Price is for single)

Model Brief description MRP all inc

SRP 201 30 watt biamplified speaker 18,400.00
SRP 202 50 watt biamplified speaker 28,200.00
SRP 203 100 watt biamplified speaker, DSP balanced 43,300.00
SRP WB1 Wall bracket for SRP 201, 202 670.00
SRP WB2 Wall bracket for SRP 203 830.00

DAC P1 24 bit, 96 kHz processing; 3 digital, 3 analogue inputs 22,500.00

You can refer to post 6 & 8 in Sonodyne SRP thread for prices..

Also learnt that Raghu @ Decibel will be the dealer for Sonodyne Active products (for Home Audio) in Chennai....

Sure Thad...Would be happy to accompany you around & learn few things about Active speakers..

Nice post there, Thad. Balanced is not just for longer runs. A true balanced design is simply better in many ways and gets things done much more economically a lot of time.

Elangoas, have you considered Tannoy active monitors? Or DynAudio? Tannoy for mid-budget and DynAudio for high budget. Those are some of the speakers that really deliver without breaking the bank.

Nice post there, Thad. Balanced is not just for longer runs. A true balanced design is simply better in many ways and gets things done much more economically a lot of time.

Elangoas, have you considered Tannoy active monitors? Or DynAudio? Tannoy for mid-budget and DynAudio for high budget. Those are some of the speakers that really deliver without breaking the bank.

Hi Ranjeetrain,

Not yet... Sure will give them a listen too....Appreciate if you could provide the model #..

Mu budget is approx 80K including the DAC, approx 60K for speakers... If all works out per plan, planning to grab them during the 26% discount sale in August....

Sure Thad...Would be happy to accompany you around & learn few things about Active speakers..

It's a product line I've been interested in for several years ---but I don't have any knowledge really. I haven't been able to afford the knowledge yet :lol:

Thanks for further information on the Sonodynes.

Hi Ranjeetrain,

Not yet... Sure will give them a listen too....Appreciate if you could provide the model #..

Mu budget is approx 80K including the DAC, approx 60K for speakers... If all works out per plan, planning to grab them during the 26% discount sale in August....

Tannoy Reveal series. Very good value for money. Should fit into your budget if dealers aren't too greedy.

It's a product line I've been interested in for several years ---but I don't have any knowledge really. I haven't been able to afford the knowledge yet :lol:

Thanks for further information on the Sonodynes.

:) I would like to accompany you for some auditions...I will keep you posted thru PM...

Tannoy Reveal series. Very good value for money. Should fit into your budget if dealers aren't too greedy.

Thanks ranjeetrain.... Will findout the chennai dealer & give them a listen...

Hey why don't you also consider these :

Swans M200MKIII : Product information:HiVi M200MKIII

Swans H5 : Gallery of H5 _HiVi,Inc.

You can read some reviews here : 6moons audio reviews: Swans M200 MkIII
A Bundle of Extreme Musical Happiness -- A Review of the Swans M200 MKIII

They are available in India by Hifinage on the following link :

Swans M200MKIII

I was generally reading up on some active speaker options to be used with my TV and found these quite intriguing. If anyone has any experience with these models, please do share your views.

Cheers

Hey why don't you also consider these :

Swans M200MKIII : Product information:HiVi M200MKIII

Swans H5 : Gallery of H5 _HiVi,Inc.

You can read some reviews here : 6moons audio reviews: Swans M200 MkIII
A Bundle of Extreme Musical Happiness -- A Review of the Swans M200 MKIII

They are available in India by Hifinage on the following link :

Swans M200MKIII

I was generally reading up on some active speaker options to be used with my TV and found these quite intriguing. If anyone has any experience with these models, please do share your views.

Cheers

Thanks Kartick.. Will give them a listen too & consider them...

Hi All,

Have been reading abt DAC's... Came across Synchronous, Adaptive and Asynchronous USB modes....

Looks like Asynchronous mode is the best for bit perfect playback...

How do i find out what mode the Sonodyne DAC P1 supports ?

As per the Sonodyne DAC P1 manual http://sonodyne.com/siteadmin/up_product_vid/76380_DAC P1 OM.pdf page 6, it is mentioned as USB Class 1.0...

I will be using XBMC (Gotham) in WASAPI mode....

Could someone enlighten here ?

If I remember right, and I might not, the USB "class one" thing means a limit of 96K sampling rate.

Have been reading abt DAC's... Came across Synchronous, Adaptive and Asynchronous USB modes....

Looks like Asynchronous mode is the best for bit perfect playback...
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Many DACs seem to do very well indeed without being asynchronous. If you like the asynch idea (DAC controls the data flow, which has theoretical advantages) then go for it, but I don't feel that it should be a deal breaker.

I would suspect that, if a DAC is asynchronous, they would say so. It is "desirable" technology. I think it is probably technology that has to be licensed too, so it would cost them money to include it. Manufacturers are unlikely to do this and keep quiet about it.

The DAC you mention has far more inputs than you need. If you know that you are buying a DAC for PC input only, you might buy a USB-only DAC, and not pay for the facilities you don't need.

When you went to Musee Musicals, what other speakers did they have available? Did you try anything else?

Recently I discovered The Inventory on the web. Interested to see that they have Adam speakers. They have Sonodyne too, but the earlier models, not the SRP range that you heard. I located their shop yesterday, as it is nearby the venue that I attended a concert. Some time I will email them and see what they actually have available for audition. Same applies to Saptaswara.

Few things that are confusing me...

These days most of the DAC's come with 192/24 bit processing... Very rarely you find 96/24...

Either the DAC is capable of 192/24, but the USB calls 1.0 is limited to 96/24...

Most of my playback is going to be from PC... Hence thought if am getting a DAC, Asynchronous would be better for PC...Also i would make use of Co-Axial for my STB & Optical input for my TV....

As you said, either the Sonodyne DAC doesn't support Asynchronous mode (or) due to licensing issues, they might not have mentioned it....

I was there @ Musee musicals auditorium when they had Sonodyne SRP series on display....I didn't audition any other speaker...

Strange that they don't have Sonodyne SRP series listed there, they are the distributors for Chennai....

I think (literally: I'm not sure) that USB Class 1.0 is limited to 24/96 unless drivers are provided. Or maybe that's Windows limit? See... I'm a bit confused!!!

I know my ODAC only goes to 24/96. ODAC is a DAC designed to prove and disprove ideas as much as anything else, and I think that asynch is one of the things on the list that NwAvGuy sought to prove unnecessary to achieve high transparency in a reasonable-cost DAC. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with asynch USB, or that it is in any way a bad thing. Just that it may not be a necessary thing. It is not as if USB audio wasn't working before it --- but you know how the audio world loves to get dogmatic about things.

Yes... if you have use for other connections then a USB-only DAC will not do for you.

I only knew, from your post, about Sonodyne even making a DAC. Have you seen any reviews of it?

I think (literally: I'm not sure) that USB Class 1.0 is limited to 24/96 unless drivers are provided. Or maybe that's Windows limit? See... I'm a bit confused!!!

I know my ODAC only goes to 24/96. ODAC is a DAC designed to prove and disprove ideas as much as anything else, and I think that asynch is one of the things on the list that NwAvGuy sought to prove unnecessary to achieve high transparency in a reasonable-cost DAC. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with asynch USB, or that it is in any way a bad thing. Just that it may not be a necessary thing. It is not as if USB audio wasn't working before it --- but you know how the audio world loves to get dogmatic about things.

Yes... if you have use for other connections then a USB-only DAC will not do for you.

I only knew, from your post, about Sonodyne even making a DAC. Have you seen any reviews of it?

Appreciate your inputs Thad....

I googled a bit, learnt that USB Class 1.0 is limited to 96/24 processing....Since there is no mention of USB mode mentioned in Sonodyne DAC P1, we can safely assume that it is Adaptive...

I borrowed DAC P1 from Ragunath @ Decibel for 2 days time @ my friend place & tested them...I wasn't aware of the USB modes on DAC then... Else would have checked that too....

Here is the link to my hands on experience with DAC P1
http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/50714-sonodyne-dac-p1-digital-preamplifier-detailed-review.html

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back