Active speakers or DAC ?

Deepak123

Hi All,

My plans to get HT setup are not working out, so, decided to keep it minimal, price wise and taking alternate route - active speakers.
I did some RnD and finalized Edifier R1850DB. It has good reviews, optical i/p and sub-out.

I wanted to use Edifiers with TV. Will it give good results ?
My living space is 12x10 that extends to dining area.

And then I came across this small device - Topping E30, which supports various digital i/p.

I tried to read more but I got more confused.

There are many threads in forum which talks about DAC, Amp, Amp without DAC, Pre-Amp, Power-Amp so on and on.
Can knowledgeable folks here explain what are this components meant for, in layman terms ? And their positioning in the AV chain .
And if I missed any component, kindly add them too.

Now my dilemma is -
Can DAC be connected with passive bookshelves like Polk RTi A3 ?

Chain would be something like this -
TV --- optical --> DAC -------> Speakers

If not, what more is needed ?

DAC is similar to DTH box, so, I am favoring this, moreover, I can get good bookshelves which can be used later when I upgrade to AVR.
Also, I cannot accomodate big devices like AVR in my TV cabinet, so, looking for small devices that can serve my purpose.

Please advice

Thanks

I did some RnD and finalized Edifier R1850DB. It has good reviews, optical i/p and sub-out.
If you're TV has optical or BT out, then you're good to go with these speakers. If not, you need a DAC.

In general if your speakers can take digital i/p like Optical, USB, BT etc., you don't need a DAC

With passive speakers (like the A3 you mentioned), you need an amp to power them, and if that amp takes digital i/p, again, you don't need a DAC.

Yes, my TV have optical out.
I wanted to know if any FMs are using Edifier R1850DB with TV.

With passive speakers (like the A3 you mentioned), you need an amp to power them, and if that amp takes digital i/p, again, you don't need a DAC.
Are there any such Amps having small form factor like Topping ?

I am using it's cousine 1700bt with TV, it's good for a descent sized room as you have. Since it doesn't have digital input, I am using RCA cable to connect to TV.

Yes, my TV have optical out.
I wanted to know if any FMs are using Edifier R1850DB with TV.

Are there any such Amps having small form factor like Topping ?
You can try something like this after doing your own research:

Back