Actively listening to music increases older adults' cerebellar gray matter?

Analogous

• People lose gray matter with age. Older adults' memory deficits are linked to brain atrophy and shrinkage.
  • Music has the power to preserve older adults' working memory by enhancing gray matter volume.
  • Active music listening increases older adults' cerebellar gray matter and improves working memory.

Related:

This is fascinating. Thanks for sharing. Wonder if this is similar with other spiritual texts as well. After all till the invention of the printing press, it was all passed from generation to generatio through story telling and dramas, all of which would have required memorisation.
But the message from both the studies seems to be that keeping the brain active and learning is important throughout life.

But the message from both the studies seems to be that keeping the brain active and learning is important throughout life.
That is my takeaway as well. I don't think ancient scripts and traditions have any religious angle to them. Also when I spoke to our Purohit (family priest) he told not to read too much into the meaning of specific mantras. He said practicing the correct pronunciation and controlling our breathing are more important for the intended effect.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back