Adding a cheap sub woofer to 2.0 setup...

sureshkn

Hi,
I have Boston Acoustics A26 for my music listening. Though I am very satisfied with that, just thought if I can add a subwoofer to it.

F&D has 2.1 speakers (A521) for very low price. Planning to use only the sub, not the satellite speakers. Thinking of using a RCA splitter for Left & Right source. One connection will go to my current amp (connected to BA A26). Other one will go to the F&D sub.

Will this connection work ? Is it worth the try & money ? :)

Best Regards,
Suresh.

Ha ha suresh...

How are you powering your A26? You are using audiophile speakers which would give you immersive sound but what F&D would give is low powered sound which wont match A26 at all..

Put the same money on a 8" powered subwoofer.. It will become a best match for you.

In one word: NO.
Adding a sub to a stereo only system is tricky as it is. Adding a cheap sub from a F&D component system (read: horrendous in quality) can be a disaster. Your music will sound muddled and low frequency detail and imaging would literally go out the window.
Besides with the RCA splitter you're basically asking for trouble. Remember that you're "passively" splitting the source signal: big compromise on fidelity.

I'm guessing you're looking for more "Punch" in your music. In which case you're better off with Floor standers. If you're hell bent on a sub, save up for some used ones on the resale market. But be warned: even with the best sub, getting to sync the sub and the bookshelves is a great hassle and even the end result is 90% of the times a psychological victory and a technical compromise.

Hope this helps! Goodluck! :D

Listen to the experts above and do the right thing. F&D!!! good lord. I bought the F&D "towers" for a second tv at home in the hope of getting louder sound from my tv - but it was a huge disappointment for me, though it did what they claimed. It may work for the junta but having spoiled by hifi speakers, your ears will be unforgiving. Not worth

Thanks a lot for your replies. Good that I asked before ordering the F&D. :lol:
Will stick with current setup only.

Regards,
Suresh.

are there any checkpoints for sub + bs matching ? I too am thinking of buying a sub but dunno how to do the matching .

No, there shouldn't be a need for matching. But a sub for music better be very good, otherwise you'll easily notice that the sub lags behind the speakers. Meaning the bass is muddy and not "fast" enough. On the other hand, sub for movies you'll be more forgiving because there you are looking for slam bam. For example, my Klipsch sub is great for movies - i'm literally jolted and feel the raw energy shaking me up when i watch movies esp on blu rays. But the same sub when used for music feels sluggish and feels like a sumo wrestler trying to run a 100 mtr dash. While the sumo wrestler can beat the shit out of someone, it's tough for him to do a ballet or sprint. This is the best i could describe what i have experienced.

are there any checkpoints for sub + bs matching ? I too am thinking of buying a sub but dunno how to do the matching .

A subwoofer will almost always add something even to large floor standing speakers. The reason is that subwoofers are made / designed for low frequency work. This makes it possible to deliver bass at a higher volume than most speakers. The technical specifications might say that a floor standing can go very low, but a subwoofer will play the same lows louder and will therefore add to the experience.

It is a matter of trial and error with sub placement / crossover settings etc., to suit your room and taste. There is no 'by the book" way of setting up a sub.

Many professional dealers understand the requirement and practical need for people to add a sub at a later stage and they do offer home demo. Get as many as you can.

sub for music is a topic that is widely debated on the net. Just like low quality speakers, a low quality sub will not bring out musical fidelity. My personal viewpoint is that, for a majority of people who enjoy music, a decent sub well configured will add to the listening pleasure. And for most fans of music getting a sub right is not going to be all that difficult.

That a sub should not be heard, but missed if turned off is often read in forums.

Last edited:
I added a sub to my audio setup about an year back. As said, sometimes it feels that sub is not fast enough to catch up with main speakers, but I dont need thumping bass, so I keep sub volume very low and set crossover just about my main speaker limits. This way it just about fills the music and sounds ok to me. If you need thumping bass, then a cheap sub may let you down where music is concerned.

firearm,

volume is set depending on room size and crossover is set by the year with the LF roll off freq of the main speaker only as a guideline.

regards

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back