Adding a power amp to my system - how to approach and will it benefit?

Not it does not. You're judging power handling of your AVR based on its power draw at the socket! How does that even give you a hint that all is well with the power being delivered to your loudspeaker?

Pick any modern day receiver with a power save mode. They refuse to budge outside their power threshold no matter hard you drive them. Are your speakers going to like this? Absolutely not.

Typically, most cross over our sub woofers at 60 or 80Hz for home theater applications. That value is a personal preference. When you do this, a majority of bass is handled by the sub woofer, not your main speakers or any of the other speakers. Your amplifier is relieved of this load. Most sub woofers sold today are more efficient than Class AB sub woofers sold over a decade ago. Their power draw isn't going to be much at all anyway. A peak will register as a tiny blip for a second at the most.

Its a different matter that you were unable to register a difference by adding a power amplifier. Maybe you don't need one. You maybe running efficient speakers and the power section of your AVR might be doing a good enough job, for you.

I would not conclude that this is the approach one must take to decide whether one needs an external power amplifier or not. That is not right.
It doesn't matter to me. It is good enough if the AVR sounds good inspite of not delivering the entire power draw to the speakers. Like I mentioned before if the sub + AVR are consuming miniscule power, I see no point in probing further. I have tried to add an element of objectivity to the exercise. What you have detailed are possibilities without any objective measurements.

What you have detailed are possibilities without any objective measurements.

Just so I have understood your approach, everyone must measure the power draw of their amplifier using a voltage clamp meter and based on the readings, decide whether or not they qualify for a better quality amplifier?

Its fine to measure and you do so when you are not sure about something. I respect that. Some of us don't need that though. I most certainly don't need or use a voltage clamp meter to decide whether my amplifier needs to have more power or not. My ears give me enough information around that to make a decision.

If the decision to buy a piece of audio equipment was based entirely on measurements and statistics alone, trust me my friend, you'll be missing out on a lot of nice equipment out there.

Just so I have understood your approach, everyone must measure the power draw of their amplifier using a voltage clamp meter and based on the readings, decide whether or not they qualify for a better quality amplifier?
There is no compulsion for "everyone" to measure the power draw :) Also I do not discourage personal tastes / subjectivity in listening. What I have shared is one practical approach. I do not understand why it has ruffled your feathers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back