Adjusting 5.1 Volume in an AV Reciever.

RAJESH

Hello,

I have a VSX 816 Pioneer AV Receiver. I am till date not able to enjoy the full potential of the amplifier & speakers. The problem is the volume in the rear speakers is very low. How do I increase the volume in the rear speakers. Pls advise.

Regards
Rajesh

Usually AVR has setting to adjust vol of each spk, Manual must be saying something like adjusting spk LEVEL, select the rears & increase the level.

Rajesh
You will need to "calibrate" your system first. Most AVRs have a facility whereby you can set the amplifier to pump "white/pink" noise discreetly through each speaker channel. This should be in the Setup procedure/menu of the AVR. You will also need a sound meter. If you go to US pick up a analog one from Radio Shack - else borow from a friend. Start with the center channel - increase the master volume till the meter reads 80 dB (recommended) (settings are C and Fast). Move to the others and increase / decrese the output of that speaker by adjusting the dB level through the setup menu - do not touch the master volume. The Sub is tricky - you may have to play by the ear to set it up to your liking. You are all set.

If your AVR does allow the above it must be a little dated. You can get hold of a DVE (Digital Video Essentials - google for more info) DVD. It has the sounds recorded for each channel for you to check your connections and help you to calibrate. It will be painful since you will have to FF/RW. But it will be worth it.

Regards

Sindhu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back