Advice needed: Totally confused!!

MPM

Hi
Please advise me on which setup would be good for me. Usage would be 50/50 movies and music. Room size around 400 sq. ft. Is it advisable to buy:

1. Full HTIB package.
2. Separate components and if that then from same shop or I can mix and match from different shops.

I went to various locations and I have got these offers:

I. Marantz 3001 Rs. 25,000
Energy Take 5.1 Rs. 35,000
Both for Rs. 45,000 OR
Mirage Nanosat 5.1 + Marantz 3001 = Rs. 75,000

II. Def. Tech. Pro 600 5.1 Rs. 43,875
Onkyo 505 Rs. 24,900 OR Onkyo 606 Rs. 36,000

III. Harman Kardon AVR 155 Rs. 30,000
HKTS 11 Rs. 45,000 OR Infinity Modulus II Rs. 55,000

IV. Yamaha RXV 663 Rs. 35,000 OR RXV 6140 Rs. 27,300
Wharfedale:
2*9.1,9CS,2*9DFS,LW150 Rs. 48,750
2*9.2,9CM,2*9DFS,LW150 Rs. 56,000

V. Denon AVR 1509 Rs. 24,900 OR AVR 1709 Rs. 33,900
Polk:
2*TSI200,2*TSI100,CS10,PSW110 Rs. 45,000

These are the quotes given to me by the 5 shops which I visited. Guys could you advise me which should be best value for money. My budget around 75k.

Thanks and Regards

Multani

Hi Mr Multani,

Let me caution you right away. A single system for movies and music does not exist inspite of claims made by manufacturers. A good stereo system is the only way to enjoy music
Sorry for adding to your confusion but thats the way it is....

MPM,

I am not an expert on HT as i prefer 2 channels ..but based on the little time I have spent on my HT, you should listen to one of the setups as above for music and then try to hear a dedicated stereo setup just to hear and know the difference. if you do not feel it is worth the effort to separate the two then you could go for one of the above. (There are many who feel that for the music they listen to an HT system is equally good or even if there is a difference it is not worth the effort to separate the two).
i personally have always had a preference for the mirage omni/nano sats as they do pretty well for music. and t the Energy is a very good prospect as well with the marantz . the HK and wharfedale is at my bottom of the list but the polk is a good alternative at the next level as well.

deftech as a brand is more tuned towards HT and it may be better than the above in HT but not as good for music..i guess if your HT: Music was 75:25 that may have been better

Multani

My first question to you is have you auditioned any of these set ups? At 75K. you can do better than a HTIB.

Speakers

The Energy Take 5.1 and the Mirage Nano's are vey good speakers, but both have been optimised for movies. Between the two, the Energy has been a long time award winner and has been in the sub-sat business for a long long time. The Energy is designed for a small to mid sized room, and may fall short if you are looking for a large presence.

Now what is a large presence? This is the classic argument that have been going on for a long time. The difference between large and small speakers. To narrow down, certain instruments (such as large drums, a bass guitar, a cello) have a very low range in frequency and need a speaker that can handle that frequency. Here are some example of frequency ranges for you:

• Human Voices - 75Hz to 1000Hz
  • Stringed Instruments - 25Hz to 4000Hz
  • Cello - 60Hz to 400Hz
  • Single Reed Flute - 10Hz to 1500Hz.
  • Clarinet - 25Hz to 150Hz

Take the case of Energy 5.1. The satellites' range is 115Hz-20KHz and that of the centre is 110Hz-20KH. The sub compensates by going down to 33Hz and upto 150Hz. The Nanosats again have a frequency range of 110Hz to 20 kHz. What really happens in such situations are that when you switch off the sub, the whole system will start sounding tinny.

People compensate for this by going in for loudpeakers that can handle a wider frequency range. A good bookshelf, for example, can have a frequency range of 40Hz to 25KHz. These kind of speakers added to a good sub that can go down to some 30Hz, will give you a speker set that will sound richer and more complete across all frequency ranges. This is particularly important for music as music is mostly two channels. All the freuqnecies are sent to these two channels. Though subs are used some time in a 2 channel set up. the recordings do not take into account the presence of a sub.

Amplifiers

On the one hand I agree with Flanker that an AVR can never equal a two channel system. On the other hand, I am assuming that you are not very particular about music and would not be concerned about the nuances of each song. What you want is a system that sounds decent for music, and does not distort sound. Am I right?

In this case a ideal combination would a good AVR, a Universal DVD Player for movies, and a dedicated CD Player for music. If you want to listen to MP3 and file formats, that is a different story.

In the AVR, if I were in your shoes, I would not look at entry level AVRs. The minimum I would look at is a Denon 1909, an Onkyo 606, a Yamaha 663, and similar models in HK and Marantz. These would cost you around 35,000. Put together a decent bookshelf based spekaer set, and that would cost you another 50,000. An Universal DVD Player and CDP would together cost you another 20,000. Add about 10,000 for cables, and you are all set.

What I would suggest is that you audition a few branded AVRs with your own CD and DVDs. Decide which brand's sound you like, and then start narrowing down the model and speaker combination. You have to audition yourself, and do not go by the prices quoted. Spend a little time on the Net and read reviews of the AVRs and speakers. For your information, I have heard the Denon 1909 with Polk Monitor 50s, and the Yamaha 663 with Epos speakers. Both sound nice for music and movies, though the Yamaha was a bit more powerful for movies. So the important point is, what is your priority - movies or music? If it is movies you should look at Yamaha or Onlyo. If it is music you should look at Marantz or Denon.

Once your mind is a little less confused, we can narrow down the model and speakers. Whatever I or anybody says and throws specs and technnology at you is all useful only to a little extent. Your ears are the most important decision maker, and you must tell us what YOU like. They we can close the loop.

So help us to help you.

Cheer

Thanks Venkat

I think I will take your advice and personally go and hear these systems.

I have read your replies in other threads and I would like to say they are so very concise..that they are concise and to the point coz you have the knack of intuitively knowing the questioners confusion!!.

Thanks once again.

Multani

Here we go again...

MPM - No way are you going to be 100% happy for both music and movies from a same system. Better to separate both. Mainly comes down to where your music collection is stored and what do you play them on. For me its a PC so I invested in Audioengine speakers and in a Creative 5.1 system for the odd DVD/Divx that I watch on the system. I went with Onkyo for the HT system and for my DVDs and Divx rips it simply rocks.

Like Venkat said for 75K you can get a lot. Unless you are looking for the very high end go with an integrated HT system from Onkyo or Yamaha (not a HTIB) and invest the remaining for your music, but do keep them separate. There is no all in one solution for movies and music.

Consider CA azur AVR for Music & Mov 50/50

I havent listen but reviews tell this.

Which I know- Mov/Music

1.Denon -50/50
2.Yamaha -60/40
3.Onkyo -70/30

Thanks Spirovious.

Multani, it completely skipped my mind, but you must audition Cambridge Audio's Azur line of AVRs. They will sound very good for music, and keep you happy with movies also.

Priority, priority, priority............

Cheers

Hello

Thanks for your replies.

I have auditioned the setups in different shops.

I have decided the following setup:

Speakers
Wharfedale 9.2*2,9CM,9DFS and DW150 (Rs. 56/54 K approx)

AVR

Its here that I need your advice to choose between the three which I liked.
  1. Cambridge Audio 540R V3 (6.1) Rs. 32,000
  2. Denon 1909 Rs. 38,000 (30,000 grey)
  3. Yamaha 663 Rs. 35000/43,000 (both with bill quotes!!)

My use would be approx same for music and movies.

I would appreciate comments on my choice.

Thanks

Hello

Thanks for your replies.

Speakers

AVR

Thanks

Yamaha is ruled out for music, but is great for movies. Denon cannot say since I have never used one for any length of time. CA is great for music, and fair to good for movies so it should boil down to choosing between CA and Denon based on your preference.

Hello

Thanks for your replies.

Speakers

AVR

Thanks

Where r you getting Denon 1909 for 38k?Its more at profx.

Hello

Thanks for your replies.

Speakers

AVR

Thanks

Some ratings & review-

CA 540- Cambridge Audio Azur 540Rv3 review - whathifi.com
Denon 1909- Denon AVR-1909 review - whathifi.com
Yamaha 663-http://www.amazon.com/review/R3AGJ1EB3MGP2J

Looking at speci.Yamaha looks better buy.
But Denon is powerful than Yam.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back