Advice needed!!

DapperCaptain

I am currently having Q Acoustics 3020i paired with Denon bt250 AVR, with Wharfedale subwoofer, centre and surrounds. I earlier had Wharfedale 9.1 as fronts. I was very happy with them. But those gave way (a fall of one of the speakers due to breaking of a wall mount. They had very pathetic wall mounts). I bought QA 3020i, which have almost similar sound to 9.1. I am not feeling I have upgraded in any manner (which I wanted to and had a chance!). My usage is mainly 2.1 music (mainly bollywood, few EDM, allen walker etc. I like soft soothing music). I have hooked google chromecast to Denon and stream music through it. (spotify or YT). I am looking for bigger, deeper and open sound (esp. vocals). I dont want to upgrade the AVR right now.. so thinking of bigger speakers which it can drive.. They will be in room of 10*15 ft.

I have narrowed down on following options -
1. Wharfedale 12.2
2. Elac Debut 6.2
3. Mission QX MK II or LX3 MK2
4. Monitor Audio Bronze 100 or 50 (Bronze 2 or 100 would be a stretch of budget, but still open)

(I have experience of Wharfedales since I had them and I liked their sound signature. But no experience of Elac, Mission or Monitor. I am open for a little experimentation with sound of others provided they are not bright and sibilant or shrill)

I have been reading the blog since I bought wharfe 9.1s around 12 years ago..This is my first post seeking advice from experts and seniors.. Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if there should have been any expectation at all, going from a 9.1 to a 3020i. From what you describe, it sounds as though you didn't audition the 3020i before purchase. Else you would have noticed the difference.

Speakers define the sound signature more than any other component in the chain so I recommend listening to every speaker you have listed. I can't tell you what sounds best as I have not heard any of the ones listed.

I would not go under the assumption that a bigger loudspeaker will improve your situation. It should not end up in where you buy the bigger or better speaker and now your AVR isn't able to drive them to their full potential. You end up needing to spend more, again.

The 3020i's are pretty decent. I'd toy around with placement, equalization, sub woofer fine tuning before heading down on yet another upgrade path which will bring you back to square one.

Try a higher quality audio stream. Not all recordings are great and that will also reflect in what you hear.

Hello, sandeepmohan, thanks for reply. Actually QAs are only 1-2 months old and a friend is willing to buy them. You are right, I didn't not audition before buying. But as you said, and rightly, I will try to listen to maximum speakers out of the list and then take a call!!

While you are out auditioning, take your time with each speaker. The first note you hear and go "WOW" does not necessarily mean it will sing well. Spend atleast 20 minutes and go armed with a good selection of your music, music you are familiar with.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back