Advice required for (AVR + Speakers) upgrade for 110 sq ft room

rshri

I have a very old existing Onkyo 5.1 set up in a small projector room (Pic attached). Intend to setup a 5.1.2 Atmos home theater. Please suggest amplifier and speakers. Upgrade will be phased - AVR and 5.1 speakers first. Will add atmos speakers later

Room type - 10 ft X 11 ft. (closed from all sides)
Budget - Not fixed. Can easily spare around 1.5 to 2 lakhs for this.
Intended usage - Exclusively movies

Front speakers need to have least width possible, because there is very little space available on sides of screen as can be seen in pic.

Also, I don't want to wallmount FL/FR speakers because running wires look ugly to me. Can dump the existing speaker stands though if replaced with floorstander FL/FR speakers. But again those floorstanders need to be very slim then.

The SL/SR speakers need to be magnetically shielded because they will practically be adjacent to my computer and hard disks.

Another odd preference (if possible) - Speakers with a white front and black sides.

Please advise!

Attachments

• Speakers.jpg
    Speakers.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
This would be an interesting project to follow! Shielded speakers, wire management, bass management et all. Subscribed!

Given the room & screen size, I would suggest to stick to satellite systems (may be NHT). BS would add value but the space between screen and side wall is narrow to avoid shadow of the speaker being cast on screen (I think the speakers would have to be toed-in a bit to manage side reflections). how much space do you have between side wall and screen edge?

Wire management - would be a problem even when you use FS or BS unless you put the cables in casing (which would still be an eye sore. You can consider running speaker cables with white PVC sleeve along the tile skirt and fix them to the wall using u-clamps (used by CC TV guys for running cable on compound walls). Still you would be left with atmos speaker cables which cannot be concealed. :)

I would suggest going for Taga LCR but add a wall mount which would let you toe in a bit. FM @elangoas has used it in his HT. They are slim and long with good specs and colour range . Hifimart is out of stock but Amazon seems to have some dealer selling it at a price lower than Hifimart.

I have a very old existing Onkyo 5.1 set up in a small projector room (Pic attached). Intend to setup a 5.1.2 Atmos home theater. Please suggest amplifier and speakers. Upgrade will be phased - AVR and 5.1 speakers first. Will add atmos speakers later

Front speakers need to have least width possible, because there is very little space available on sides of screen as can be seen in pic.

Also, I don't want to wallmount FL/FR speakers because running wires look ugly to me. Can dump the existing speaker stands though if replaced with floorstander FL/FR speakers. But again those floorstanders need to be very slim then.

The SL/SR speakers need to be magnetically shielded because they will practically be adjacent to my computer and hard disks.

Another odd preference (if possible) - Speakers with a white front and black sides.

Please advise!
Look at the Q acoustics Concept series. Not a pure white fascia but the matte silver front errs towards a white tinge and the gloss black side panels look and feel like a million bucks. The speakers, both the concept 20 and 40 with the concept centre are slim but have great sound quality and fantastic build quality to boot.

I have no idea about how they sound. Physical Dimension looks good but it has lower sensitivity compared to Taga which could be slightly more taxing on AVR. Q-Acoustics could be tight as it would be 12 inches wide with its base. Q-acoustics is way ahead in terms of quality and sensitivity 91 db (vs 89db of Taga vs 86 db of yamaha) but could set you back on costs & placement.

I was really hoping that Q Acoustics package would work, but the 11.7 inch wide cabinet will be difficult to adjust.
So Taga Harmony Platinum LCR can be used as FR/FL? Its dimensions are - 76 x 13.5 x 11 cm. 13.5cm width will work very well for me. However not loving the idea of wall mounting them. Seem too big and heavy to mount on my existing speaker stands. Placing them directly on floor will also not be right.

If you want no compromise movie experience then consider Definitive technology Mythos GEM XL as LCR and Pro monitor 800/1000 as surround speakers. These speakers can be easily wall mounted withing the giving space . You may choose Definitive technology subwoofer or any other as per your budget. You may select avr as per your choice and budget. Denon AVR x2700, Marantz SR5014/15 are some of the popular avrs among FM. Yamaha new RX V series is also creates wave among avrs users.

I was really hoping that Q Acoustics package would work, but the 11.7 inch wide cabinet will be difficult to adjust.
So Taga Harmony Platinum LCR can be used as FR/FL? Its dimensions are - 76 x 13.5 x 11 cm. 13.5cm width will work very well for me. However not loving the idea of wall mounting them. Seem too big and heavy to mount on my existing speaker stands. Placing them directly on floor will also not be right.
You are literally cornered :)

Please advise!

Speak to Mohsin (www.Audiomart.in) who can help with custom installs and good rates. (9920211112)

I am now thinking of wall-mounting (vertically) 2 Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL on left and right of screen as FL and FR channels and another Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL near bottom of the screen (horizontally) for center channel.

Let me know your suggestion for SL/SR speakers, subwoofer and AVR

Can 8 ohm receiver be connected with 6 ohm speakers?
I am thinking of upgrading satellite speakers first. But I noticed that 'Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL' is 6 OHM. WIll it be safe to connect 3 of these with my old aging HTIB Onkyo reveiver (rated 8 ohm)?

I am now thinking of wall-mounting (vertically) 2 Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL on left and right of screen as FL and FR channels and another Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL near bottom of the screen (horizontally) for center channel.

Let me know your suggestion for SL/SR speakers, subwoofer and AVR
Repurpose the HTIB fronts to surrounds and surrounds to ceiling speakers. Stick to same brand of speakers if you intend to buy. if it is Taga LCR , then go for Taga surrounds.
Given the small foot print, go for smaller sub - sealed ones which you can slide under the cot ( i am thinking that this is a bedroom setup).
I am thinking of upgrading satellite speakers first. But I noticed that 'Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL' is 6 OHM. WIll it be safe to connect 3 of these with my old aging HTIB Onkyo reveiver (rated 8 ohm)?
I think it should but might not get loud. what is the model number? i dont understand the impedence part well. In the above comment you have mentioned about suggestions for AVR and also you have second thoughts about repurposing the old receiver (rethinking the budget? :cool: ). You can considering older/ used AVRs if you are not keep on Atmos. You can post a wanted ad for Marantz Slimline series. They should be adequate for your room.

Given the small foot print, go for smaller sub - sealed ones which you can slide under the cot ( i am thinking that this is a bedroom setup).

I think it should but might not get loud. what is the model number? i dont understand the impedence part well. In the above comment you have mentioned about suggestions for AVR and also you have second thoughts about repurposing the old receiver (rethinking the budget? :cool: ). You can considering older/ used AVRs if you are not keep on Atmos. You can post a wanted ad for Marantz Slimline series. They should be adequate for your room.
Thanks @arunkvivek Let me know if you have some specific suggestions for subs.

This is the receiver/speakers that I currently have (Onkyo HTiB package) -
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/ht-s580_manual_e.pdf
Page 56 has the technical specifications listed.

Not rethinking the budget, I eventually need to replace all speakers, AVR, speaker wires and sub. But doing it all in single go will be too much work and hassle. Thats why I was thinking of doing this step by step -
- First replace LCR speakers
- Then change speaker wires
- Then replace the sub and AVR (Will need to do replace them both together because current sub is passive)
- Then replace the surrounds
- Lastly add atmos speakers (Much later)

It will work fine. Lower impedance speakers generate more current, so more power is dissipated in the output transisters. It's probably rated for only 8 Ohms to meet JEITA certification.

Thanks @arunkvivek Let me know if you have some specific suggestions for subs.

This is the receiver/speakers that I currently have (Onkyo HTiB package) -
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/ht-s580_manual_e.pdf
Page 56 has the technical specifications listed.

Not rethinking the budget, I eventually need to replace all speakers, AVR, speaker wires and sub. But doing it all in single go will be too much work and hassle. Thats why I was thinking of doing this step by step -
- First replace LCR speakers
- Then change speaker wires
- Then replace the sub and AVR (Will need to do replace them both together because current sub is passive)
- Then replace the surrounds
- Lastly add atmos speakers (Much later)
As per the manual, only 8-16 ohm impedance is allowed. I am not sure if 6 ohms speaker would fry the amp section. For SW, if you are looking to push it under the cot, there are slim SW (i remember Yamaha and Wharfedale having such models).

As per the manual, only 8-16 ohm impedance is allowed. I am not sure if 6 ohms speaker would fry the amp section. For SW, if you are looking to push it under the cot, there are slim SW (i remember Yamaha and Wharfedale having such models).
You should have overload protection in the avr. If the device shuts down, you'll know it cannot power the speakers properly. Also listening st low to moderate volume levels should not stress the amp enough to damage it.

OP here! Here is what I thinking after much pondering -

4 X Q Acoustic 3020i for front and surrounds:
I will mount the fronts on side walls and slightly nearer towards me (at ear level) so that they don't obstruct screen view. I am planning to buy wall speaker mounts from Amazon for this, I hope it will let me adjust the speaker to point towards me.
For surrounds, I will try to use my existing speaker stands (pictured in first post).
Frankly I am not too happy with this Q Acoustic 3020i option. I would prefer smaller and lighter speakers so that speaker wall mounts and my existing speaker stands can bear and balance the weight. Also, these speakers seem like an overkill for such a small room. Please let me know alternatives.

Q Acoustic 3090Ci for Center:
Earlier I was thinking of 'Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL' but couldn't find any decent review online. Also seems EOL product and hardly being sold. Q Acoustic will be better fit if I go with Q Acoustic front/rears.

QB12 Subwoofer:
Again, chosen just to go with Q Acoustic front/rears.

Denon AVR-X2700H AVR:
Frankly, seems like overkill. Should I go for some cheaper alternative? I just want a basic 5.1.2 AVR

Speaker Wires:
I am thinking of using a 30 meter 3-core 1.5 sq.mm. white electric copper wire (Similar to attached pic). AVR will be behind me. So I will need to do 2 runs (15 m each) of this wire to connect to LCR speakers in front. This will be concealable in my room. What do you think of this plan?

Let me know your thoughts guys! Its a big decision for me.

Attachments

• 51+jqYVktHL._SL1500_.jpg
    51+jqYVktHL._SL1500_.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 8
Denon AVR-X2700H AVR:
Frankly, seems like overkill. Should I go for some cheaper alternative? I just want a basic 5.1.2 AVR

For 5.1.2, you would need a minimum 7 channel AVR with atmos/dtsx support. If Denon 2700 fits your budget, I would recommend going for it as it will give you enough potential to upgrade your speakers in future without the need to change the AVR. If you would rather save some money, then consider Yamaha RX V585 which is rated with slightly less RMS than the 2700 but packs most other latest bells and whistles and will cost lesser.

For 5.1.2, you would need a minimum 7 channel AVR with atmos/dtsx support. If Denon 2700 fits your budget, I would recommend going for it as it will give you enough potential to upgrade your speakers in future without the need to change the AVR. If you would rather save some money, then consider Yamaha RX V585 which is rated with slightly less RMS than the 2700 but packs most other latest bells and whistles and will cost lesser.
Thanks for the response! Denon 2700 is not a problem budget-wise. Just didn't want to buy anything more than I need to. I will check out Yamaha RX V585

OP here! Here is what I thinking after much pondering -

4 X Q Acoustic 3020i for front and surrounds:
I will mount the fronts on side walls and slightly nearer towards me (at ear level) so that they don't obstruct screen view. I am planning to buy wall speaker mounts from Amazon for this, I hope it will let me adjust the speaker to point towards me.
For surrounds, I will try to use my existing speaker stands (pictured in first post).
Frankly I am not too happy with this Q Acoustic 3020i option. I would prefer smaller and lighter speakers so that speaker wall mounts and my existing speaker stands can bear and balance the weight. Also, these speakers seem like an overkill for such a small room. Please let me know alternatives.

Q Acoustic 3090Ci for Center:
Earlier I was thinking of 'Taga Harmony Platinum LCR-60 SL' but couldn't find any decent review online. Also seems EOL product and hardly being sold. Q Acoustic will be better fit if I go with Q Acoustic front/rears.

QB12 Subwoofer:
Again, chosen just to go with Q Acoustic front/rears.

Denon AVR-X2700H AVR:

Speaker Wires:
I am thinking of using a 30 meter 3-core 1.5 sq.mm. white electric copper wire (Similar to attached pic). AVR will be behind me. So I will need to do 2 runs (15 m each) of this wire to connect to LCR speakers in front. This will be concealable in my room. What do you think of this plan?

Let me know your thoughts guys! Its a big decision for me.
what is the use of using 3core?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back