Advice required on turntable

Does that mean Technics is officially present in India? I have been eying the SL-1500C for a long time!
You could contact them and ask them. As far as I know it’s a special buy for interested parties from abroad. If I got it right, they seemed to be able to accommodate another model of technics too so hurry snd contact em. However they won’t be an official dealer as such as far as I gathered. Best to clarify from them.

regards

I wish to purchase a new turntable. budget is 80k to 100k. please suggest about technics sl1200 mk7 also. thanks in advance.

Hi,

At that kind of money you’d get a good one. However spending that kind of money blind without listening is something I’d strongly advise against. A Technics has its own sound signature vs a belt drive and you’d best listen, read up online and come to your own conclusions. Then again that group buy opportunity for the Technics might not come again... this is a tough time to be making a new purchase without the opportunity to do the rounds of dealers or forum members systems to listen.

Regards

Thanks for your prompt reply. I would like to know whether u have any first hand idea of this model. moreover please suggest more options (of other brands) within my budget.
The Technics Twelve Hundreds are my favourite amongst turntables. I have worked with many 1200s and still have an MK2 with me as my primary deck which is literally a plug and play setup.

Couple of questions I have for you - Is this going to be your first TT or do you have working experience and have owned a few TTs in the past? The Budget you have kept aside is huge and as Steve mentioned, are you sure about this as if your new to this, the nitty-gritty involved with vinyl and TTs get to some people.

Cheers !

The Technics Twelve Hundreds are my favourite amongst turntables. I have worked with many 1200s and still have an MK2 with me as my primary deck which is literally a plug and play setup.

Couple of questions I have for you - Is this going to be your first TT or do you have working experience and have owned a few TTs in the past? The Budget you have kept aside is huge and as Steve mentioned, are you sure about this as if your new to this, the nitty-gritty involved with vinyl and TTs get to some people.

Cheers !
this is not going to be my first turntable. I have been using pro-ject debut III for last 13 years. if I get good turntable by paying fewer bucks , why i should pay more. that is why I have come to this platform asking for help from the experts.
regards.

Hi,

At that kind of money you’d get a good one. However spending that kind of money blind without listening is something I’d strongly advise against. A Technics has its own sound signature vs a belt drive and you’d best listen, read up online and come to your own conclusions. Then again that group buy opportunity for the Technics might not come again... this is a tough time to be making a new purchase without the opportunity to do the rounds of dealers or forum members systems to listen.

Regards
you have hit the bull’s eye sir. it is very difficult to buy an item without auditioning. that is why , I am asking for your help.if you share your rich experience, I will be enriched and may it will help me to buy a turntable after spending a good amount of money.
regards.

you have hit the bull’s eye sir. it is very difficult to buy an item without auditioning. that is why , I am asking for your help.if you share your rich experience, I will be enriched and may it will help me to buy a turntable after spending a good amount of money.
regards.
The 1200mk7 at the group buy price is a no brainer... its a great turntable...

this is not going to be my first turntable. I have been using pro-ject debut III for last 13 years. if I get good turntable by paying fewer bucks , why i should pay more. that is why I have come to this platform asking for help from the experts.
regards.
Hi Debu, (am assuming that's your name?)

This information changes my recommendation. Given the high prices of turntables today, from the Debut you'd move up only a couple of models and in my opinion, that's not really much considering just how good the Debut itself is and the money you'd have to spend. In my opinion, if I was upgrading I'd want a turntable at least 5-6 models higher considering you can't sell em used as well as some other gear. Also, break the jump down into where the money would go. There are three parts to moving up in a turntable, the motor, the platter/chassis/plinth and the tonearm and the difference between your debut and the top end of your budget, around 60-70k would be divided between these three areas. Maybe one area would be upgraded more significantly than another, eg a much better drive system but then there would be no money left for the manufacturer to put in a really good tonearm for example. Or if the manufacturer spends the money proportionately between all three areas, that 70k is only a one third improvement in any one area. Think about your upgrade like this and it will give you greater clarity in deciding whether you're getting a better turntable or not. For belt drives the higher end ones have outboard motors to prevent vibrations being transmitted to the platter. For the money you have in mind you certainly wouldn't get this. You'd get some minor upgrade in motor perhaps. Good turntables also have higher mass platters in general, not all, or significant technology being applied to this area of platter, sub chassis or chassis. Again here you'd have minor improvements. Tonearm too.

So, if you want better bang for your buck, which given today's high prices is even more important, I'd suggest building relationships with dealers and letting them know you're in the market for a second hand turntable. They would know customers who want to upgrade or are on the fence about upgrading. You'd get a significantly higher model of turntable for the same money. Or keep an eye on the classified section. Since you have a turntable for over a decade you should be able to judge and evaluate the working points. And be ready to stretch your budget if a good turntable comes your way.

Of course none of this applies to a direct drive like the Technics you mentioned.

Regards

I have been through a few big names from the direct drive and idler space, but if you've noticed, a Technics Direct drive has always remained in my collection. My reasons are very simple:

• their direct drive motor design was way ahead of its time, still works very well today and the speed is dead-accurate (a bell sounds like a bell, a piano sounds like a piano).
  • very easy to maintain, just keep them away from dust
  • great plinth, well dampened (many say that it is over dampened but that's what we are doing with multilayered idler plinths anyways :) )
  • the tonearm everyone laughs at and slams at every given opportunity, is such a good design that it can play anything thrown at it. In order to work with these tonearms, I've just stopped thinking too technical (mass, vtf, etc), just slipped on a headshell and enjoyed. Almost all of the MM carts I've tried with my Technics TTs, have all sounded great (even the M3D). I've found Shure carts to sound the best with these tonearms.
  • servicing is generally easy, actually they do not need much service. They are very robust and usually give trouble only if they are physically abused. I strongly believe that Technics is the only brand that manufactures turntables these days, that are as well built and strong as those in the 70s
  • there are many who debate the sound signature but I've found technics turntables to be very accurate, what's on the LP comes out, its so accurate that at times, its make one feel like its a little industrial
  • unlike other turntables, a Technics direct drive (especially the 12s) is a sound investment. The moment a Technics turntable is advertised at the right price, it is almost immediately is sold

Price points are personal decisions as some are budget-conscious while some are not. Prices in the Indian market are highly amplified.

The 12s are still viewed essentially as DJ turntables but many don't know that they were actually also popular as broadcast TTs. Loads of American and European FM stations used the 12s for broadcasting in the 1980s. Also the Technics turntable brand is a juggernaut and has a cult following, even among home users and audiophiles. Its perhaps the only turntable brand which created mass hysteria when it was announced that it was to be discontinued (I wonder if anyone even bothered, leave alone cry, when the Garrard 301 or Thorens TD124 went out of production :))

Last edited:
Hi Debu, (am assuming that's your name?)

This information changes my recommendation. Given the high prices of turntables today, from the Debut you'd move up only a couple of models and in my opinion, that's not really much considering just how good the Debut itself is and the money you'd have to spend. In my opinion, if I was upgrading I'd want a turntable at least 5-6 models higher considering you can't sell em used as well as some other gear. Also, break the jump down into where the money would go. There are three parts to moving up in a turntable, the motor, the platter/chassis/plinth and the tonearm and the difference between your debut and the top end of your budget, around 60-70k would be divided between these three areas. Maybe one area would be upgraded more significantly than another, eg a much better drive system but then there would be no money left for the manufacturer to put in a really good tonearm for example. Or if the manufacturer spends the money proportionately between all three areas, that 70k is only a one third improvement in any one area. Think about your upgrade like this and it will give you greater clarity in deciding whether you're getting a better turntable or not. For belt drives the higher end ones have outboard motors to prevent vibrations being transmitted to the platter. For the money you have in mind you certainly wouldn't get this. You'd get some minor upgrade in motor perhaps. Good turntables also have higher mass platters in general, not all, or significant technology being applied to this area of platter, sub chassis or chassis. Again here you'd have minor improvements. Tonearm too.

So, if you want better bang for your buck, which given today's high prices is even more important, I'd suggest building relationships with dealers and letting them know you're in the market for a second hand turntable. They would know customers who want to upgrade or are on the fence about upgrading. You'd get a significantly higher model of turntable for the same money. Or keep an eye on the classified section. Since you have a turntable for over a decade you should be able to judge and evaluate the working points. And be ready to stretch your budget if a good turntable comes your way.

Of course none of this applies to a direct drive like the Technics you mentioned.

Regards
Ohhhh. Thank u for such a wonderful and explanatory reply. U have made the whole thing crystal clear to me. Regards.
Debapriya (Debu)

You definitely want to look at, shortlist a Pioneer PLX-1000. Its been around for ~ 7 years, proven itself in the DJ space and for this conversation, the sound. The age old problem remains, auditioning one. In this particular case, personally, I'd buy one blind too. Its supposed to be top notch.

Hi Kbhuvi,

Any reviews of TTs made by EBI audio, SQ n what budget.
TT starts 1.5L onwards.
Specifications of 65mm thick acrylic platter turntable
Speed 33.33, 45, 78
Platter material: 65mm thick acrylic (around 7kg)
Platter bearing: ceramic shaft bearing
Plinth: 60mm thick sheesham base (around 15kg)
Motor: Maxon motor from Switzerland
Speed control: electronic switch
Spring suspension feet
Separate motor box for zero vibration transfer
12 inch tonearm with ceramic bearing
No cartridge included

MC cartridges starts 48K

regards.

Hi @debuathifivision . Since you have been using a TT for so long am sure you do know and have experienced the impact of the cartridge and Phonostage as well

The challenge is since the 3 need to be looked as a system, depending on what you upgrade it is very possible that one or both of the other 2 become bottlenecks and dont allow it to reach the full potential of what you paid for ! ( ..and I am not even bringing the speaker/Amp etc into the picture now !)

Could you share the Cart and phono you use as well ? what you are looking for in a TT over and above what you have will also help

TT starts 1.5L onwards.
Specifications of 65mm thick acrylic platter turntable
Speed 33.33, 45, 78
Platter material: 65mm thick acrylic (around 7kg)
Platter bearing: ceramic shaft bearing
Plinth: 60mm thick sheesham base (around 15kg)
Motor: Maxon motor from Switzerland
Speed control: electronic switch
Spring suspension feet
Separate motor box for zero vibration transfer
12 inch tonearm with ceramic bearing
No cartridge included

MC cartridges starts 48K
Hi Moktan,
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate your detailed feedback on EBI TTs. Sounds good.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back