Affordable and Good sounding Audio Amplifiers

There are plenty of plug n play type amplifier kits available these days in various price brackets. I believe they will cost lot less than purchasing branded ones.
And I do believe, the designers (Nelson pass, rod Elliot and many more) understand a lot more than I (or my friends) do. I know almost nothing in DIY btw
So, starting off with a proven design might save a lot of time and money IMHO.

I just remembered that I bought two LM3886 boards also ! It must be around somewhere. I did make my own boards many years ago but they must be lost by now ! I couldn't find them. So I decided to save time and bought some ready made boards. Have to assemble them . Will check them when I find them ! :)
I like boards with on board power supplies . These don't have any supplies on them.
My lm 3886 pcbs are on its way. Planning to start my diy journey with them. Fingers crossed. [emoji4]

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be am act of love, and we should look at bringing more people into listening to music. We can also specify what speakers should be used with which amp.

I strongly feel we can deliver a fantastic system for under 25K with a pair of speakers.

Cheers.

Great idea :clapping:. As long as buyers are part time DIY'ers (otherwise support will be an issue). Hostel rooms will definitely benefit.
I personally feel the highlighted section borders on questionable if brands are named.
It can be put across as a limitation ("unobtanium" drivers can be problematic, without actually naming a brand).

Cheers,
Raghu

Great idea :clapping:. As long as buyers are part time DIY'ers (otherwise support will be an issue). Hostel rooms will definitely benefit.

The idea is not meant for DIYers. If you start catering to the DIYers, you will never have a successful installation. Change this capacitor, change this wire, did you use silver solder, the signal path is too long..... the questions will be endless.

I personally feel the highlighted section borders on questionable if brands are named. It can be put across as a limitation ("unobtanium" drivers can be problematic, without actually naming a brand).

Again the idea is to pair the amp with the ideal speakers. There is nothing wrong with naming a commonly available brand. The user is always welcome to try other speakers.

Cheers

for typical medium power amps (15-25WPC) if you are looking for amazing vocals, the philips Hi-Q driver is the best bang for buck at 500 Rs or so a pair - they beat out any speakers in the sub 10K range :D

Good idea VenkatCR ji but I doubt if this would even pass the discussion stage.

Case in point is an initiative by FM GeorgeO who had managed to convince a designer as reputed as Phil Bamberg to design a speaker for a group of interested members sometime back. After initial heat and dust wherein choice of drivers was discussed, it died down.

I had recently come across a old loudspeaker driver maker whose company had apparently supplied speaker cones to the likes of Tannoys etc. Though the old man had reportedly sold most of the tooling, he is said to have kept enough for making small production runs.

I tried reviving that thread by posting the above information hoping to revive the interest but there hasn't been much response.

for typical medium power amps (15-25WPC) if you are looking for amazing vocals, the philips Hi-Q driver is the best bang for buck at 500 Rs or so a pair - they beat out any speakers in the sub 10K range :D

I am not looking at assembling speakers. If at all we need to do that, we have to find a external organisation to do that. We do not have the resources to design and manufacture good speakers. Let us keep it manageable in the initial stages.

Cheers

Good idea VenkatCR ji but I doubt if this would even pass the discussion stage.

You and George were looking for members to get together to buy something. My proposal is different. I am looking at taking bulk of the financial risk. I want a few members - one who understands amplifier design, one who is good at making a prototype, and a few who have golden ears. With my (and hopefully few other's) financial backing, I want this small team to design a good amplifier that can be sold at very reasonable prices to members of HFV.

Of course the members will have to sweat it out in terms of design, and testing.

My idea is to deliver fully assembled amplifiers that would be way above the current run of commercial amplifiers in the same price range that are made in India. Even if we deliver 5-10 pieces a month, it will be good.

I think the time is right. With the passing away of Bajaj, there is a dearth of good amp designers in India who do it for love. We can fill that void.

Let us see how it pans out.

Cheers

Last edited:
You and George were looking for members to get together to buy something. My proposal is different. I am looking at taking bulk of the financial risk.
True but the objective is the same.:)

My idea is to deliver fully assembled amplifiers that would be way above the current run of commercial amplifiers in the same price range that are made in India. Even if we deliver 5-10 pieces a month, it will be good.

Let us see how it pans out.

My best wishes are with you for sure.

I think the time is right. With the passing away of Bajaj, there is a dearth of good amp designers in India who do it for love. We can fill that void.

Shyam Bajaj is gone but Norge isn't. I spoke to his daughter and she assured me that the company is still alive and kicking too.

Let me confide, I harbored a secret desire of buying it out. :D

From what I have seen, most of the money goes into the amplifier chassis, transformer, PSU etc - the actual board is around 10% of the cost. Procuring them at affordable rates may b e the challenge. I for one have plenty of amp boards lying around, but can't afford to put them into a good chassis - the cheap ones are ugly black boxes and the good looking ones are pretty expensive.

Also, are we looking at a discrete design or a gainclone/T amp ? if its the latter - there are plenty of designs floating around which we can adapt, or do we have the skills to do better? If its the latter, the chinese offer plenty of boards, which members have already had some degree of success with, the only problem being the SMD soldering and T amp boards would be pretty much unrepairable at the hands of most of us.

I personally would like someone to cook up and amplifier chassis with a silver front panel, big VU meters (like a 70's amp) and an assortment of aluminium knobs, so that you can slap in an input selector pcb, preamps, power amp, transformer & power supply PCB's and have a nice amp ready to go

.........design a good amplifier that can be sold at very reasonable prices to members of HFV.............

The target is a low cost good design , right ? When there are so many proven designs available why "design" another one ? You can't reinvent the 'wheel' !

Selling to members of HFV isn't a business ! Before you know what's happening the 'miscellaneous' costs will catch up , making it a tough proposition.

Chinese assembled boards will be available far cheaper than you can ever make them. What about warranty ? Replacement of defective units ? Local service people etc. It isn't as simple as it looks when you start thinking of "manufacture" .
Will you pay the 'techie' guys commercial rates for their " intellectual time " or do they do it for 'free' ? As a DIY effort will they be able to devote enough time for this ? Doing it for oneself is one thing, doing it to 'make money' is something completely different !

Currently we have mentioned DIY boards that sound good. Remember these are also available in local markets though they don't have enough publicity. They would also cost less than the Chinese units I think as many parts are cheaper in the retail market. I've never understood how that works.

Metal work is always expensive . Even the Chinese ones.
Once it is confirmed that some commercial kits do sound good , it would be time to compare low cost commercial amps with these and pick the best out of what's available. I think there should be many local kits ( which we don't see advertised !) that are just as good , as they use the same or similar circuitry ! So some search in the local markets would produce interesting results.

Do remember that local companies like Pulz, Norge, Sonodyne have low cost amps that are possibly as good as these good kits . No one has compared them so far. Might be time to do that and really determine how good they are. Possibly they have been underestimated so far for a number of reasons. I will be least surprised if some use the very same chips we are talking about !

Last edited:
From what I have seen, most of the money goes into the amplifier chassis, transformer, PSU etc - the actual board is around 10% of the cost. Procuring them at affordable rates may b e the challenge. I for one have plenty of amp boards lying around, but can't afford to put them into a good chassis - the cheap ones are ugly black boxes and the good looking ones are pretty expensive.

There are always issues, but I am quite sure, we can resolve all of them. If Norge and others can sell for 15-20K, we can get good chasis done. Leave that part to me.

Also, are we looking at a discrete design or a gainclone/T amp ? if its the latter - there are plenty of designs floating around which we can adapt, or do we have the skills to do better? If its the latter, the chinese offer plenty of boards, which members have already had some degree of success with, the only problem being the SMD soldering and T amp boards would be pretty much unrepairable at the hands of most of us.

This has to be decided by the person who manages the amp design. I want the amp to be simple, dependable and easy to manufacture. In terms of support, I am not even looking at repair. If an amp fails, we just replace it.

I personally would like someone to cook up and amplifier chassis with a silver front panel, big VU meters (like a 70's amp) and an assortment of aluminium knobs, so that you can slap in an input selector pcb, preamps, power amp, transformer & power supply PCB's and have a nice amp ready to go.

I aim keen to keep the costs down. A genuine person who is looking for a good sound, does not need any of that. The amp should have a single LED display on/off status. We can add a lot of gimmicks in the Android RC, including volume bar, source selected, etc.

The target is a low cost good design , right ? When there are so many proven designs available why "design" another one ? You can't reinvent the 'wheel' !

I already mentioned we can work with existing designs. The only issue will be can we replicate it, and can we get the PCB design legally? If those are met, and the sound quality is approved by our golden ears, why not?

Selling to members of HFV isn't a business ! Before you know what's happening the 'miscellaneous' costs will catch up , making it a tough proposition.

I am not looking at this as a business. It is more to bring more people to enjoy music as close to audiophile standards as we can. All of us keep salivating at international designs and products. Let us work to bring some small part of that to India itself. We have the brains. We just need to stay together and committed as a small group to manage that. I have lots of ides for later. If this venture moves well, we can introduce a number of products. And, believe me, we can beat every amplifier manufacturer out there.

Chinese assembled boards will be available far cheaper than you can ever make them. What about warranty ? Replacement of defective units ? Local service people etc. It isn't as simple as it looks when you start thinking of "manufacture" .

I am not interested in Chinese products. We can assemble better products at about the same costs or even lower. I want to assemble a unit that will not fail. If it fails, we just replace it. I am keen to see we have demo units in 4-6 major cities. The people who will have the demo units will act as local contacts.

Will you pay the 'techie' guys commercial rates for their " intellectual time " or do they do it for 'free' ? As a DIY effort will they be able to devote enough time for this ? Doing it for oneself is one thing, doing it to 'make money' is something completely different !

In the begining, no. When we start making some money, yes.

Currently we have mentioned DIY boards that sound good. Remember these are also available in local markets though they don't have enough publicity. They would also cost less than the Chinese units I think as many parts are cheaper in the retail market. I've never understood how that works.

Metal work is always expensive . Even the Chinese ones.

Once it is confirmed that some commercial kits do sound good , it would be time to compare low cost commercial amps with these and pick the best out of what's available. I think there should be many local kits ( which we don't see advertised !) that are just as good , as they use the same or similar circuitry ! So some search in the local markets would produce interesting results.

Do remember that local companies like Pulz, Norge, Sonodyne have low cost amps that are possibly as good as these good kits . No one has compared them so far. Might be time to do that and really determine how good they are. Possibly they have been underestimated so far for a number of reasons. I will be least surprised if some use the very same chips we are talking about !

Pulz, Norge, Sonodyne are all commercial ventures. Their focus is to make money. Our focus is different. It is to deliver amplifiers at affordable costs, that will sound excellent. Pulz and Sonodyne amps are expensive. Pluz was never able to succeed in the home audio market. They make money in the cinema market. Only Norge may have executed what I have in mind, and they stayed small. I do know there are lots of local companies, but all of them have started catering to commercial 'filmi' markets.

I dont think my objective has been understood well. Essentially I am looking to assemble DIY kits inside professional cabinets that can be made available to HFV members. Once the kit is tested and accepted, we will use external resources to 'manufacture' in small numbers. I am looking at multiple price points with differential features and sound quality. I have no intention of going commercial with this in the beginning. If Non-HFV members want it, I have no issues. But essentially it will sold online through HFV. As we progress, we will decide what to do next. I am looking at a four man team - amp designer, parts and BIN experts, and 1-2 testers.

Any volunteers?

Cheers

Essentially I am looking to assemble DIY kits inside professional cabinets that can be made available to HFV members.
I have a suggestion: If, for the end user it will be a fully assembled, finished, plug & play amp, let's not use the word DIY - I know you used it with reference to you but still...

Venkatcr

send me your mail ID

there some like minded group that i support who does what you have stated
However they do higher end stuff and cater to only select customers who know them and so they products are not cheap

i have a pure class A pure amplifier built by them
its probably the only kind in the world
and probably one of their best sounding products they have rolled out
Unlike many commerical guys these guys are NOT hackers but instead design ground up ( though my personal amp has a lot of Nelson implementations since i commmisoned them to do it that way )

their 50W amp is almost ready

and their 130W amp is round the corner as well

they also have a DIY full range speaker KIT complete with posts,ports , compensation ckt , stuffing values calculated
and COMPLETED cabinet
All you have to do is put is together
takes half an hour!!

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back