Affordable DACs from Prism

square_wave

Lyra USB Audio Interface Home Page

Lyra1 and 2 both in the range of 1300 to 1800 pounds. I know this isnt too affordable but prism quality at these price points is unheard of.

And Benchmark launched a higher end dac called DAC 2 HGC

DAC2 HGC - 2-Channel Reference Stereo Preamplifier with Heaphone Amp and DSD D/A Converter | Benchmark Media

Benchmark website says The DAC2 HGC outperforms the DAC1 in every respect . Ahem....so the DAC 1 can be improved :D I remember a fierce debate on this forum.

I am not sure about Benchmark Dac's but i am definitely interested in Prism Lyra1 .

Wyred4sound has an entry level( 400$ ) Udac, supposedly uses an ESS chip. Any takes on the same?

Why spend 400$? if all that people care about is the ESS chip then spend 150$ and get one of these :)
JDS Labs - Standalone ODAC

A dac's quality is not just about the chips used actually it how the overall design is implemented(there are many factors involved in this).There are certain manufacturers who have been making DAC's for the past many years, these manufacturers are now entering into the affordable segment and that is a good thing.

Lyra1 and 2 both in the range of 1300 to 1800 pounds. I know this isnt too affordable but prism quality at these price points is unheard of.

Saw this announced, and it was mentioned on the Linux Musicians forum as being a product with claimed native USB [-2 I think] compliant support --- although they are still not giving the control-panel tools available under Windows.

Unfair to call this a DAC --- this is a pro Audio Interface. I as well as O; ADC as well as DAC.

I did enter my e-mail in the launch competition to win win one, but, hey, it's always somebody else, eh? :rolleyes: :lol:

I certainly can't afford one.

Longshanks, Ofcourse! There are umpteen dacs based on the popular Wolfson, Cirrus Logic, AKM, ESS chips, from cheap ebay kits to high end boutique audio brands. If the dac chip was all that mattered, all of these would sound same, would they not? But they dont.

Wyred4sound makes some well regarded dacs, usually above 1000$. So it would be interesting to know how their budget offering performs.

Why spend 400$? if all that people care about is the ESS chip then spend 150$ and get one of these :)

Well, there are different DAC chips that ESS make. The 9023 is the one used in the ODAC, which is a 24-bit chip. According to ESS,'the ES9023 combines best-sounding audio with lowest system cost and highest performance into the ideal D/A converter for line-level output applications such as Blu-ray players, CD/DVD players, set-top boxes, digital TVs and audio receivers.'

The 9018 used by the Benchmark, among others, is a 32-bit DAC chip and is capable of converting 8-channels at a time. Usually this chip is configured to use 4 DACs per channel in most DACs to increase the performance. According to ESS, the 9018 is their flagship, that targets the high-end and professional applications. :)

A dac's quality is not just about the chips used actually it how the overall design is implemented(there are many factors involved in this)...

I believe this is completely true, within the capability of each chip in question.

Very very affordable. There's an issue with the lyra 1 though - it doesn't have digital coaxial input. Only has toslink. So this can't be used as a dac with most cd players. I guess the little extra for the lyra 2 is worth it as this has 4 analog outs and also has digital coaxial and AES/EBU input.

@ iaudio

I am pretty sure it will be worth 400$, specially since Wyred4sound sound products are always considered for value for money.

Also i was being serious when i mentioned this dac.:)

It is no slough either, in fact it could very well give the 400$ DAC from Wyred4sound a real good competition or even be better.

Here is an article on how this 150$ dac was designed and created.

NwAvGuy: ODAC Released

The 9018 used by the Benchmark, among others, is a 32-bit DAC chip and is capable of converting 8-channels at a time.

Sure, but my comparision of the JDS Labs - Standalone ODAC was with the 400$ Wyred4sound, does the 400$ Wyred4sound use the same 32-bit DAC? because honestly did not know that.

within the capability of each chip in question.

Sure, but i don't think this is a big concern because most chips are relatively cheap and their specs and measurements are easily available but still many manufacturer tend to use much older DAC chips even now(this means even the older chips have so much capability left).

here is a list of affordable USB based DAC's.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC_AsyncSlow.htm

Last edited:
There's an issue with the lyra 1 though - it doesn't have digital coaxial input. Only has toslink. So this can't be used as a dac with most cd players. I guess the little extra for the lyra 2 is worth it as this has 4 analog outs and also has digital coaxial and AES/EBU input.
I doubt that these boxes are worthwhile unless the buyer is going to record as well as play. Are they, in fact, worthwhile outside a studio?

Of course, worthwhile is not the same as desirable. I'd love one :cool:

I bet they do :D

Studio quality kit.

I once compared a Prism ( Orpheus I think ) to an oppo digital player at Odysseys listening room. Using the the Prism dac was almost like wiping a camera lens clean and focusing it. The music just fell into place fluid and focused. I was shocked at the change and also at the price tag of the dac :D:eek:

At a fraction under 3000 in the UK, the Orpheus may well appear expensive, but it isn't when you consider what you are getting for your money: eight channels of truly highend AD and DA, four superb mic preamps with DI inputs and RIAA facilities, stereo and ADAT digital I/O (with samplerate conversion and word length facilities for the stereo interface), a very competent multichannel Firewire interface, MIDI In and Out, and very flexible monitoring facilities.

Sound On Sound Review

Sheesh... It's even got RIAA built in.

But we are now dreaming way off "afordable," at least for me, and, as you didn't leave Odyssey with one under you arm, I guess for you too. :sad:

Hi square_wave

Try and hear the Prism DA 2. Absolute killer. I kind of almost ordered it before i decided to go vinyl route. Was planning to use it with an Esoteric transport.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back