After 4 Months - Living with my Hi-Fi and Samsung DVP

srramanujam

Its been about 4 months since i finally assembled my set up (http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/11508-update-whats-week-lifetime-music.html). I went off the forum for a while to take time with the system. The only addition to the set up since July has been a wooden rack.

Pictures are attached

http://img213.imageshack.us/i/img027o.jpg/

and ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Experience so far.

1. I enjoy the music and forget the system.

2. Played around with placement. Vocals feel like they are coming from the centre and about 6-7 feet behind the speakers. Gives me a feel of listening to a concert.

3. Separation is not great. Mridangam still feels like it is coming from the left speaker (and in some poorly recorded CDs, from the right side).

4. Have rarely gone beyond 9 o clock position. My daughter says neighbours will object (they still havent)

5. Have forgotten about the Samsung DVD and cheap speakers cables from around the corner. They are still part of the system.

6. Next job is to think about the source. Good CDP or PC + DAC or Laptop + DAC or CDP + DAC or any of the wireless stuff (not yet convinced about them).

Just listening to Taal as i type this and i can hear the waterdrops around my window.

Would really like some suggestions on the source. The DVD is now shared with my kids who watch Winnie the Pooh through the hi-fi. It has only one RCA out and my TV has only RCA in for audio. So unless i find an alternative i have to reconcile with my five year old putting on Shindo preamp and the poweramps all by himself. Though its wonderful to hear the 100 acre wood song and see the kids mesmerised. They wouldnt care if it was coming out of a cardboard box and they treat the equipment like one.

Last edited:
Hi Ram

Seeing the pic of your setup, I feel a PC or a laptop would be difficult to place near the amp. Ofcourse, you can go for a wireless music server
But then you will also need a good DAC. So my suggestion would be to go for a good mid-level CDP. You can accomodate it in the rack.

Hai srr,

Get a Marantz CDP (eg CD 5003/6003), interconnects (like Chord Crimsonplus) and speakers cables (belden etc) and you will further discover sonic improvement.

N.Murali

you may also try a tablet.

maybe a panadol or a valium to get rid of your 'Confused State of Mind' :lol:

it all narrows down to where your source is...on the cd's or on the hard drive.
if it's on the hard drive it only makes sense to get a good DAC and a pc..(you might keep downloading content and at some point it gets difficult to burn all the stuff onto cd's ...i'm assuming here)....if you like to stock cd's then by all means a cdp is the way to go!

There are three things that will drive my choice.

a) I prefer a hard disk basd setup provided it can perform atleast as good as a CDP.

b) My wife could continue to be a CD person when she listens. She prefers the simplicity.

c) When my kids grow up, i guess they will be into the download-wireless mode. So that would mean i need a setup that is compatible with streaming music later on.

All this hints that i should certainly invest in a CDP that also has a hard disk player, and possibly can accept streaming music. The available options will burn a hole right through my trouser.

Thats where the options confuse me.

Should i buy a good CD Player and listen to music and handle the digital part later in life.

Or should i buy a simple CDP and a good external DAC so that i have flexibility in the future?

Even as i am solving it, i will go and buy some good speaker cables and do some room treatment.

CDP as a purists source will always remain just like the TT's have...and once you have invested in a really good CDP there's nothing for you to upgrade to from a source point of view...(IMHO CDP's have reached their saturation and there isn't much left for them to better themselves)...

but that's not the case with the digital format...new formats and better hard drives (better performers, more stable, more reliable, smaller size) are just bound to happen...and it just keeps getting better and better...

so here's what i will say...
b) My wife could continue to be a CD person when she listens. She prefers the simplicity.

since you mentioned you are more inclined towards a hard-drive setup
buy her a CDP which is good enough for her or which she thinks is the best for her..(you might earn some brownie points here...:D...no offence)...:cool:

a) I prefer a hard disk basd setup provided it can perform atleast as good as a CDP.

get a decent DAC and a HTPC (because what's seen as an 'Ultimate Performance HTPC' is only going to get better and faster tomorrow)...so don't spend much on this!...when technology betters you just upgrade...to a better DAC and a HTPC.

c) When my kids grow up, i guess they will be into the download-wireless mode. So that would mean i need a setup that is compatible with streaming music later on.

when you kids grow up wireless technology will be miles ahead from now...so invest in a wireless setup WHEN your kids grow up or ready for it. (what if they wouldn't even be interested in it...i know YOU can still use it)...;)

just my 2cents worth:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello Ram,

Get a Marantz CDP (eg CD 5003/6003), interconnects (like Chord Crimsonplus) and speakers cables (belden etc) and you will further discover sonic improvement.

N.Murali

I totally agree with that! Your system deserves a better source right away!

Look at the lost opportunity cost of enjoyment of music over the last (what?) 18 months. Get that CDP and start enjoying your music. The future will take care of itself.

Regards,
Viren

Hi Ram
U must buy at least a basic cdp and the 6003 around 20K is a very good option.

I assembled an audio rig for my aunt/uncle. Took them around and THEY CHOSE a thiel loudspeaker & Accuphase amplification BUT insisted on using a PIONEER Blu Ray as the source. Heard it a while and frankly it was poor. Since they did not believe in spending much on a CDP I bought a 6003 and the improvement esp in the midrange is tremendous. The B Ray player was making the rest of the gear under perform. Cabling is basic Chord IC and chord silver screen speaker cables.

U are not exploring the systems capability with a DVD player.
Rgds

Ulneash_me (hasn't anyone yet heard your beseeching), Viren and Dinyaar, Thanks for the suggestions. I agree about having to invest in the CDP.

QB-9, i will need a QE2 to afford it. Also, i think the USB only device makes me a bit nervous. Given the way computer technology is going, in five years time there may not be a USB in PCs. I would like to have the QB-9, if i can get one, for a much longer time for that price.

I take the point about opportunity cost, so the third set starts in earnest, i hope i don't end up like Sania Mirza and pair with hopeless equipment.

Back