Aftermarket Apple TV remote

vkalia

The remote for my Apple TV Gen 2 seems to have stopped working. Does anyone know of an aftermarket remote control that works with it? There are shed-tons on Amazon, but with mixed reviews, so hard to pick.

I have been using my phone as a remote for the time being, but it is clunky and a pain in the ass. Would prefer to get a remote. Worst case, the Apple TV OEM remote is always an option but if i can get something for cheaper, I am more than happy to do so.

TIA.

Unless you need the Siri mic, you can simply use your TV remote (as long as CEC is enabled on both sides)
If you want a standalone IR remote, just use any spare remote with a dpad layout and change the IR code layout in the ATV settings

Unless you need the Siri mic, you can simply use your TV remote (as long as CEC is enabled on both sides)
If you want a standalone IR remote, just use any spare remote with a dpad layout and change the IR code layout in the ATV settings

Oh cool, i didnt realize i could do that. Let me try that with my TV and see if it works. Thanks for that.

The first one was one of the options i had checked out - although weirdly, the one i did had more mixed reviews. The second one is actually more expensive than the OEM Apple Remote.

I’ve ordered the el cheapo variation and will try setting up my TV remote. If neither works, then I’ll just suck it up and get the OEM Apple unit.

Thanks, folks

Oh cool, i didnt realize i could do that. Let me try that with my TV and see if it works. Thanks for that.
You will need to make sure HDMI CEC is enabled on the TV - it could be listed as some other term based on your TV model

So i tried programming my TV remote - apparently some of the buttons are already in use and it can’t be used. Fair enough - i figured that.

I got the second remote linked in the post above - the first button was programmed, the rest are also showing “in use” as per Apple. So back it goes to Amazon.

I did manage to program my Samsung soundbar remote to operate the Apple TV, so that helps. Will likely buy an Apple Remote, however.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back