Airplay headaches

Kamlesh D

Its been less than 2 hours with the Denon 1912 at home and am trying to get airplay to work.

1. Is Airplay wireless, purely wireless?
2. Airplay works on my Mac, and it recognises the Airport Express router.
3. Denon AVR keeps telling me no network (of course there is no network, as there is no ethernet connection at the Amplifier location- how terribly '90s)

4. Does someone know if this Airplay works 'over air' or needs a wire?

5. How to get the Mac and the Denon to talk to each other?

Will appreciate any suggestions.

KD

Kamlesh,

Airplay works with airplay ready devices. If your denon does not have a wireless receiver unit built in, like airport express, then it won't work as it can't receive the wireless signal being transmitted.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Kamlesh, as stevieboy has mentioned, airplay works with only AirPlay ready devices, and the 1912 is not an AirPlay ready device. Only the 3311's , 4311's i.e their hi-end products are AirPlay ready, that to via a firmware updgrade for $50.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found the following on AVSforum :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20422004#post20422004

8. Networking

a. Airplay: The Airplay feature (audio only) is offered on the networking models 1912, 2112CI, 2312CI, and 3312CI. It allows you to stream your iTunes songs wirelessly from your laptop, iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 (will not work with iPhone 3G), or iPad to one of the above models when both are connected to your home network. This feature can also be replicated on non-networking models by using an Apple TV (audio and video) or Airport Express connected to the AVR. There is however, a limitation when using the on board Airplay feature in that although you can play Airplay audio to either the main zone or Zone 2, when playing to Zone 2, you cannot play another source in the main zone (unlike when you play another source to Zone 2). This same limitation exists with the firmware upgrade to the 3311CI/991 and 4311CI. When using the Apple TV or Airport Express, this limitation does not exist. Also note that Apple currently has only licensed AVR mfr's to use Airplay in "audio" only mode. Although rumors are that Apple may soon license AVR mfr's to stream video, AFAIK Denon is not going to support Airplay video streaming in the XX12 models. For the 1712, 1912, 2112CI, and 2312CI you would also need to buy an optical to RCA analog converter (DAC) similar to this one to be able to pass the ATV's audio to Zone 2.

A "wired" connection from the AVR to the router/modem is preferred to reduce connection issues and reduce audio dropouts due to buffering. If you don't want a networking model, adding an Apple TV will give you Airplay, although there are noted issues with the ATV having audio droputs regardless of the brand of AVR connection. Some have noted that turning off bluetooth and closing background applications on your iphone, ipad, etc. will reduce/eliminate the Airplay audio dropouts. Also, if having connectivity issues, try unplugging the AVR for a few minutes and then power on again.

Notes:
(1) When using Airplay from a PC or laptop, the volume for your surround system is controlled by the PC/laptop volume so be sure it's turned down before starting to stream the audio.
(2) If you want to turn the AVR ON to use Airplay, make sure NETWORK STANDBY is set to ON, and download one of the REMOTE apps listed in para 8f below,

b. Connecting to a home network: None of these XX12 models are "wireless" or include the capability of being wireless by adding a dongle. You must either connect the network capable AVR directly to a router/modem with an ethernet cable (recommended) or connect the AVR to a wireless bridge like this one or this one or this one or use Powerline adapters that plug into nearby outlets that can then connect to your wireless router/modem. Using Powerline adapters effectively turns your house wiring into a "wired" network. If you don't plan on using the network capability for other than firmware updates, 100' Cat 5 ethernet cables are fairly inexpensive and available from forum sponsor Monoprice. You can also purchase 1000' cable if longer length is required. If you are experiencing intermittent audio dropouts while using the network streaming feature, consider connecting the AVR directly to the router rather than a wireless connection or consider upgrading to a newer, better quality router that is able to handle more bandwidth.

hope this helps.
cheers..

Kamlesh,

Airplay works with airplay ready devices. If your denon does not have a wireless receiver unit built in, like airport express, then it won't work as it can't receive the wireless signal being transmitted.
/QUOTE]

The Denon 1912 is Airplay ready.

Connect ur Denon to the home network using an ethernet cable. If u dont have a provision there, use a Wireless N router which talks to ur existing wireless Router (A computer networking expert should be able to do the job) and puts ur iOS device and the Denon on the same network.

However note that the Denon Airplay is not trouble-free. Im having frequent dropout issues myself.

All the best!

don't you need to buy something extra to enable airplay? That was my impression, not sure though.

It is simple

1. A wired connection from router to Denon
2. Wired/ Wireless connection to PC or Apple device
3. If you want to play from PC, at lower right corner of the iTunes you will be able to see Denon device on same network. Select play to this device. control from denon app.
4. If you want to play from windows media player enable DLNA(once configured you can close mediaplayer). Select DLNA device from denon "media server" menu browse through media list and play. Control DLNA music/playlist with DENON free app available in android market.

Else control device from any browser 192.168.x.x(denon device IP) in same network

@anm
Yea it should be that simple to get it to work, no extra hardware required for the 1912. However, its not without issues. I have a thread for that: http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...rplay-issues-denon-avr-1912-a.html#post317697

@svkndv
Nothing seems to be working to solve the frequent dropouts issue.. What Wifi router are you using?

Also, are you able to use the remote app on an iOS device? Im considering trying DLNA using an Android phone..

@anm
Yea it should be that simple to get it to work, no extra hardware required for the 1912. However, its not without issues. I have a thread for that: http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...rplay-issues-denon-avr-1912-a.html#post317697

@svkndv
Nothing seems to be working to solve the frequent dropouts issue.. What Wifi router are you using?

Also, are you able to use the remote app on an iOS device? Im considering trying DLNA using an Android phone..

I use D-Link dsl-2750U router http://www.letsbuy.com/dlink-wireless-n-300-adsl2--4port-ethernet-router-with-usb-dsl2750u-p-20778

Computer(Jriver- DLNA(denon))>wired>>Router>Wired>>Denon
and
Laptop >itunes-Airplay>> Wireless>>Router>Wired>>Denon

I do not own an apple device, I use android app to control or sometime through browser.

Okay.. Must try DLNA on the Android.. The iPad / iPhone app is just crap.. Hasn't loaded once after Day 1. Damn weird! So abt the Airplay, I'm guessing i need to upgrade to a Wireless N Router n the dropouts should stop...

Connect ur Denon to the home network using an ethernet cable. If u dont have a provision there, use a Wireless N router which talks to ur existing wireless Router (A computer networking expert should be able to do the job) and puts ur iOS device and the Denon on the same network.

However note that the Denon Airplay is not trouble-free. Im having frequent dropout issues myself.

All the best!

Just upgraded to a Wireless N router. Airplay now works trouble free, well almost. Dropouts are as low as 5%. Remote App is messed ip though.. Waiting for Denon to release an update on it s oon n preferably a separate iPad app. Hope ur Airplay issues are sorted!

Hello - I am in a similar situation and can not decide which collection of products makes the most sense. My apt is wired for surround sound with 8 built in speakers around the unit and I want to get a receiver so I can utilize them. My internet modem and wireless router for my computer are in one area, but the panel with which to attach a stereo receiver are in another. I would like to get a wi-fi capable, airplay enabled, 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound receiver with "All Channel Stereo" or "Multichannel Stereo" mode. I like the Denon avr 1912 but it is not set up for wi-fi so I think I would have to run a cable to the unit - unless I used a wireless bridge? Would an airport express do that or does it need to be plugged into the actual modem? I have also seen a pioneer model that has wi-fi capability and is airplay enabled, but it seems you need a wi-fi dongle to activate that. Would I also need an airport express in that case?

Hello - I am in a similar situation and can not decide which collection of products makes the most sense. My apt is wired for surround sound with 8 built in speakers around the unit and I want to get a receiver so I can utilize them. My internet modem and wireless router for my computer are in one area, but the panel with which to attach a stereo receiver are in another. I would like to get a wi-fi capable, airplay enabled, 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound receiver with "All Channel Stereo" or "Multichannel Stereo" mode. I like the Denon avr 1912 but it is not set up for wi-fi so I think I would have to run a cable to the unit - unless I used a wireless bridge? Would an airport express do that or does it need to be plugged into the actual modem? I have also seen a pioneer model that has wi-fi capability and is airplay enabled, but it seems you need a wi-fi dongle to activate that. Would I also need an airport express in that case?

No it wont, it would just require wifi dongle to work.

Dear Friends,

I am using my Denon 2112 for over an year now and I am using all the possible features, including Airplay in good way (relatively).

1) Two laptops with Mezzmo and Foobar, streaming to 2112 using DLNA. I pass the stereo via Line level Zone 2 out to my Sansui AU D11. I can switch Off The Main Zone and Continue using this setup for Zone2. Android remote on my phone works well to directly Control Zone 2.
I also use the Main Zone for different Source such as HD SAT TV (either over HDMI pass through or with Main Zone On)

2) My Denon 2112 is connected with a wired line to a wireless router.

3) Airpay --> iTunes on two laptops, on iPhone 3GS ---> passing music very well to Denon. Here you CAN NOT have separate source in Zone 1 and Zone 2. If I switch off the mail Zone, it stops passing the audio to Zone 2, via Airplay.

So when we use the Airplay, it has to be with Main zone on. Not very suitable to me. As I listen al my music on dedicated Sansui setup. So I am most of the time, passing hte Audio to DEnon, get the DAC done there, pass it to Zone 2 (line level) and then switch off Main zone.

3) Connected iPod thru cable to front USB Port(iPod, iPhone ready). This pass a digital signal to Denon and Denon does the DAC, Audio quality is great. In this mode also, I can have iPOd passing in Zone 2 with Main zone either off OR on a diff source.

SO far its a wonderful setup all together.

In case any friends want to audition, any help in setup (Audysses Multi EQ XT etc) , I can help. This setup is in Pune.

I am looking to get another setup for my upstairs similar to this. However, I am looking now for Yamaha may be RX-A710 or something.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back