Airtel Digital or Tata Sky? Confused

What happens, if I decide to not use the service after 1 month? But then would wanna keep the equipment, just in case.

Also, I got DishTv voucher with purchase of Samsung LED tv and had to pay only 1000/- for installation. It includes the Royal Pack for 45days.

What happens, if I decide to not use the service after 1 month? But then would wanna keep the equipment, just in case.

Also, I got DishTv voucher with purchase of Samsung LED tv and had to pay only 1000/- for installation. It includes the Royal Pack for 45days.
Note that DishTV Royale Pack is very exepensive - Rs. 550/pm. So while you may save on equipment cost, the recurring cost will be too heavy.

One of the reasons why I am not HD'd yet.

All those who say that DishTV has got crap customer care - my experience has been quite good with them. I have had Dish TV since 2006 and had to resort to CC only 6/8 times so far (can't remember exactly). All the six/eight incidents were because I was not getting reception. Once my dish had become misaligned because a local cablewala had used the dish as a harness for his own cables. When I complained, the DishTV repair guy arrived in 2 hours. I had to pay for the realignment but it was done. He also removed the harnessed cables. Since then, we have been locking out our (common) terrace.

In the recent times I have found that DishTV signal quality has improved significantly.

I am subscribed for the DishTV Titanium pack for Rs. 4490 wherein I get all the standard channels and Marathi as the regional pack.

My subscription comes up for renewal in Nov, 2011. At the moment, I am inclined to cancel DishTV and opt for TataSky for renewal. But I am going to see whether Dish improves their HD (from TruHD to true HD). And I will see how good their service is. That will around the time when my quest for 50" TV will also be complete. :)

So for the time being, I advise you to go for TataSky.

How much did you have to pay for realignment?

I wont be using the Royal Pack after 45days of free usage. Will try some other pack after that and see how it turns out to be in both price and channels wise.

Just wanted to know if I will have to surrender the equipment after I decide not to subscribe for DishTv again?

Don't remember exactly but must have paid something like Rs. 400 for realignment.

If you opt out of Royale (HF) Pack, you will have to take the HD Premiere Pack @ Rs. 450/-. But with the HD box, you will have to opt for the HD service. You can't get SD service with an HD box, it seems as per DishTV rules.

If you return the equipment, you will get Rs. 400/- (the deposit) back.

If you return the equipment, you will get Rs. 400/- (the deposit) back.
As I mentioned earlier, I got it for free. Except for the installation, so no refund for me I guess.

I wonder why does one have to pay 2k to 3k +installation charges for getting a new connection, if we dont get to keep any of the equipment?

Could someone tell if TataSky also provides upscaled channels for better than SD quality? If yes, can you mention a few? Not talking about the true HD channels here.

As I mentioned earlier, I got it for free. Except for the installation, so no refund for me I guess.

I wonder why does one have to pay 2k to 3k +installation charges for getting a new connection, if we dont get to keep any of the equipment?

Could someone tell if TataSky also provides upscaled channels for better than SD quality? If yes, can you mention a few? Not talking about the true HD channels here.
Currently TS don't have any upscaled channel and we CERTAINLY DON'T WANT ANY. Hope TS switches to MPEG4 without this SCAM of upscaling and we get similar or better quality than what Dish HD is offering.

Like I have said multiple times, upscaling is ONLY A SCAM PROPAGATED by Dish TV by giving better quality compressed channels as compared to their "SD" counterpart. Even if they had maintained the SAME SD RESOLUTION while compressing with MPEG4 you would have got same or even better quality than what you get from these upscaled channels which basically use better compression techniques to improve sound and picture quality which can happen in original SD resolution only as STB anyway upscale all SD channels to HD!

Upscaling increases the number of pixels to be compressed and hence take more bandwidth to compress as compared to the original SD pixels. Hence at the same bandwidth used for these upscaled channels, you can get far superior picture quality compressing 5 times less number of pixels in original SD source! Do the maths and you would know what I am talking about.

Dish TV wanted customers to switch to MPEG4 at customer's RECURRING cost and that is why they did this SCAM of upscaling as otherwise people would not have paid extra for MPEG4 compressed SD channels. They get FASCINATED with the name "HD" and "35 HD channels" and that is why they are happy paying Rs.450 to 550 for such upscaled channels.

As TRAI regard 1080i picture as HD irrespective of source, Dish TV has propagated INTENTIONAL SCAM. We could EASILY SUE them for this as against some of us telling we really can't do much if the resolution is 1080i. Take example of recent telecom scams - people diverted money to get license to meet the requirements. However as they did it INTENTIONALLY ONLY to fulfill the condition of the license, they are BEING SUED FOR THE SAME GROUNDS! Its clearly a SCAM if you are doing MANIPULATION ON PURPOSE just to get away from norms. Resolution of 1080i is not giving you better picture, better use of compression is!!!

For that matter, ALL HD STBs does upscaling by DEFAULT to 1080i so that way we should get the SAME QUALITY as these upscaled channels if the upscalers and compression are of the same quality as they use during upscaling at uplinking facility.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back