Akai AM M-10 Stereo Integrated and Equalizer EA M-20

sgautam

Dear FMs, yesterday as a new year gift I bought these two for myself. They were listed in OLX and it was an impulsive buy.

The amp is in good condition and the sound is very sweet, a touch bright when compared to my NAD but very enjoyable . Power is rated at 43 watts per channel in one of a romanian listing, and the db levels were good enough. The user had bypassed all line inputs and only one is working. The volume slider was changed to a pot and apart from these issues the amp is in a good condition and is working perfectly. I left it running for the whole night and its been working without any issues. No overheating etc observed.

This is my first equalizer and must say that I was very surprised, it really works without altering the sound signature and now I understand why many bother with a dedicated EQ. The whole thing works perfectly except that the levers need a push to operate. They may need lubrication I think. The best thing is to see the EQ graphs moving which is very nostalgic and looks beautiful at night.

Now if the dear FMs can throw their comments on this amp or AKAI amps in general and is there any way I can improve the sound quality further. I am impressed by the sound and think further tweaking can make it much better.

Thanks a lot,

Gautam

Last edited:
Sgautam,

Congrats on new Amp and EQ( GY-Gift yourself)

First get a contact cleaner and give then nice bath.They should be good for a Bedroom set,up.

Most of the Amp I have listen are brighter than Nad,Just becoz NAD is on complete warmer side :).Just try matching with some Good Full ranger driver, they would sound more sweet.

Congrats on the find :), it's a nice sounding amp.
It's rated power is 15 watt RMS @ 8 ohms. Looks like volume control slider is missing & surprise to see knob near the mic which is not a part of AM10 amp. Please check my post here on AKAI BUSH AM 10

http://www.hifivision.com/vintage-audio/48974-pictures-1987-akai-bush.html

Anil

Dear FMs, yesterday as a new year gift I bought these two for myself. They were listed in OLX and it was an impulsive buy.

The amp is in good condition and the sound is very sweet, a touch bright when compared to my NAD but very enjoyable . Power is rated at 43 watts per channel in one of a romanian listing, and the db levels were good enough. The user had bypassed all line inputs and only one is working. The volume slider was changed to a pot and apart from these issues the amp is in a good condition and is working perfectly. I left it running for the whole night and its been working without any issues. No overheating etc observed.

This is my first equalizer and must say that I was very surprised, it really works without altering the sound signature and now I understand why many bother with a dedicated EQ. The whole thing works perfectly except that the levers need a push to operate. They may need lubrication I think. The best thing is to see the EQ graphs moving which is very nostalgic and looks beautiful at night.

Now if the dear FMs can throw their comments on this amp or AKAI amps in general and is there any way I can improve the sound quality further. I am impressed by the sound and think further tweaking can make it much better.

Thanks a lot,

Gautam

Hi Audio freek - thanks for the suggestion. How can clean the contacts, should i open the amp and clean. What care should I take in while cleaning.

Greenhorn - i will google for STK module and try to understand but what should not be connected to the amp, I usually listen at low volumes with bass turned down. hope its ok

Hi Anil - thanks for sharing your post. It was nice to see such an immaculately maintained system. One can keep them for those looks alone. Didnt know that this is part of a hifi system, I will try to get the tuner and deck as well. I realised that the volume slider is gone before buying, I searched the net for details and then went to buy. I am sure that nothing can be done about that. The volume pot is of normal quality and is prone to crackle sometimes when moved. I connected it with my preamp for switching sources.

I got hold of the service manual of the amp, the specs show that its 25-30 wpc, it doesnt matter anyway as the db level is quite enough for me and its driving the A26s quite well at 10 o clock position. I am sharing the spec sheet in a moment

Thanks a lot all of you for responding. I feel luck to be part of this forum. please do answer my queries when you can.. thanks

wow just realised that i completed my 150 th post. the spec sheet is attached now. I didnt understand the music power is mentioned at 100 watts for both channels.. wonder what it means

Last edited:
Get Contact Cleaner -I prefer WD Since its easily accessible in any hardware shop.Buy a nice One Inch and half inch painting brush+some waste cloth.

Just Open a screws from side and back, then Open the front face plate (There should be a screw at the top of the face plate(could be seen once you open the cover) and the bottom of the fact plate.

Just use the brush, to clean all the dust, which is visible.Dont touch any component in bare hands(its not that risk,but to be carefull).Then Spray the contact cleaner on the Nobs,switches connectors and the rusty parts. Leave it for say 15-30 Mins,So that the cleaner get dissolve.

Take the smaller brush and try to remove the dust and wipe the Brush with the Waster cloth, and continue for some time. Dont give much force.

Once you dont with Cleaning the dust, Use the dry brush to wipe the excess cleaner.

Best Practice, Keep a small magnet or container while removing the screws to hold them.
Take snap before removing the panel and after too,So in case you are not sure which screw needs to fit which hole, you could refer.

Can't thank enough. you explained in detail. I already ordered for a the cleaner from ebay (protochem electrical contact cleaner). I have WD40, can I use that instead. Once again thanks a lot. See you.

WD 40 is not contact cleaner - its a rust remover, and it leaves some residue behind
Yes, its rust remover But it works Ok for me(Might be easy available) :),Thanks for your Advice ,Now ordered protochem electrical contact cleaner from Amazon.

This Forum Rokz

Hi thanks, its costly though. I may use it only once. The eBay seller refunded my money since my pin code is not serviceable. Will try from Amazon.

Hi, i never tried earlier. Do you think it will sound better after restoration. Pl guide how to about, will surely try. I am bit free for couple of months. Thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back