All That Jazz ...

Sorry my bad I think I posed moravec twice. So come on listen and answer - Moravec or Rubinstein - albeit not jazz. Posted again

Rubinstein seems to be in a hurry to finish his shift. Hence Moravec for me. More nuanced, definitely conveys more feeling, blah³

Sorry my bad I think I posed moravec twice. So come on listen and answer - Moravec or Rubinstein - albeit not jazz. Posted again

I am not much into nuanced classical listening but I do have the 9 discs of Chopin by Rubenstein . These include the Piano Concertos , Nocturnes, Mazurkas, Preludes , Impromptus, Waltzes, Scherzos , Ballades, Polonaises).
On listening to the two versions I am inclined to like the former rendition. I find it subdued- metaphorically like a moonless albeit clear and starry night.
Rubenstein is more silvery and glistening almost full moon.

And then there's a long list of forgotten Goan and Parsi jazz musicians - Chic Chocolate, Manohari Singh, Anthony Gonsalves, Sebastian D'Souza, Frank Fernand, Cawas/Kersi and Bhujji Lord, Monsorate brothers.... the list goes on and on. They were mainly dance hall musicians whose main source of income was bollywood. Each of them extremely talented, but lacking opportunity and exposure. Credit for their immense contribution often went to the likes of C. Ramchandra, R.D. and others. Unlike in the west, the work and contribution of these musicians is, sadly, undocumented (only the music director and singer are mentioned on our record labels with hardly any reference to the arrangers, soloists, etc.

That is so spot on. So many of those great musicians did not get the credit they deserved.
So much of early Hindi movie playback was made by these stellar artists that nobody remembers now.

You should look up this play if it ever comes up in Mumbai or Pune
http://www.mumbaitheatreguide.com/dramas/reviews/bombay-jazz-english-play-reviews.asp#

Regards.

For fans of vocalese, this is one of the best I've ever heard:
'Freddie Freeloader' performed by Jon Hendricks and friends.
https://www.discogs.com/Jon-Hendricks-And-Friends-Freddie-Freeloader/release/5336284

Hear the original first, from Miles's Kind of Blue album, then listen to this performed by
Vocals [John Coltrane] – Jon Hendricks
Vocals [Julian "Cannonball" Adderley] – George Benson
Vocals [Miles Davis] – Al Jarreau
Vocals [Wynton Kelly] – Bobby McFerrin

Jarreau's rendition of Miles's trumpet notes will make your hair stand on edge. And Bobby McFerrin doing Wynton Kelly note for note! Just amazing.

Here's a Youtube link to a live version minus George Benson. This is hardly comparable to the studio recording on the original CD, but which nevertheless reflects the immense talent:

Not a great fan of vocalese but sometimes when I listen to Resolution ( in A Love Supreme) ,my mind seems to get stuck with the lyrics of Kurt Elling. Someone called Jon Hendricks the James Joyce of jazz and the first occasion I had to listen to him was in a tribute concert to Charlie Parker. He was helped by his family members and they had put standards like Billie's Bounce ( Now's the Time ??)to lyrics.

What a nice review of the play! Would love to watch it, Nikhil. I'm sure the musicians in the play are of the same high standard. The research for the play is attributed to Naresh Fernandes, the one who wrote the blog referred to by Hiten. Will watch out for the play. Where did you see it?

Kishore,

The play had come to Hyderabad last year.
We got to meet both Denzil Smith and Rhys D'Souza afterwards.

Even for Rhys it was an eye opener when he researched the material for the play. I think Rhys is related to some of the old Mumbai jazz musicians and had grown up with those names being mentioned around him. He had some interesting stories to share

But definitely the "Bombay" and "Calcutta" music scene was rich back in the day.

Regards.

John Coltrane is an ambivalent relationship for me - sometimes I get it and its wow (my wife accused me of repeatedly playing The Love Supreme just to hear it being "sung" by Coltrane), and at other times, the sheets of sound makes me want to run to Miles/Jamal.
Yes Vivek , but when in full flow- he just flows , beyond the technical and imagination capabilities of most musicians , sometimes it resembles the extended aalaps in Dhrupad rendition of hindustani classical music.
A similar sheets of sound approach is found in the music if Allan Holdsworth , if you like Coltrane , try Holdsworth .
cheers

A nice album of jugalbadi in jazz guitar- John scofield and Pat metheny- I can see your house from here.
cheers

True. Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Mingus..... it can never be casual listening. The music is intense and the listening too needs to be that.

Himadri, Fiftyfify, I hear you. Its just that you can't play Coltrane saying lets listen to Jazz. You play Coltrane saying lets listen to Coltrane.

Which brings me to the artist that I have been listening to this week - Kenny Dorham, called the uncrowned king of the trumpet as he was so underrated. An artist who played across many styles from bop to avant garde with a wide variety from Charlie Parker, Monk, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Andrew Hill, Joe Henderson.

I have listened to KD as a sideman in many albums that I have (Blakey Bohemia, Jazz Messengers with Horace Silver, Joe Henderson - Page One including the famous tune Blue Bossa, Monk, Andrew Hill - Point of Departure (which is super tough to listen to casually)) and loved his playing. So I decided to get two CDs of his - Afro Cuban and 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia.

Afrocuban has two distinct sessions - one which is Latin themed and one which is mainstream. Features great artists including Art Blakey, Hank Mobley, JJ Johnson, Cecile Payne, Oscar Pettiford and in the first section Carlos Valdes on Conga. It totally cooks.

A more relaxing (if you will) set is Round About Midnight At the Cafe Bohemia Vol 1 which has Kenny Burrell on guitar, JR Monterose on Sax and a rhythm section of Timmons, Sam Jones and Edgehill. I am not sure if the link below gives my album, as the cover and playing times are different, but the first two songs are the same.

Kenny Dorham is probably very recognisable to most of you from the albums as a sideman, but his albums are great too. Do listen and let me know what you think.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back