All That Jazz ...

Monk is my favourite Jazz pianist as well. He was not very critically acclaimed during his living days. One Jazz critic even described his percussive, dissonant and attacking style as 'elephant on piano'. His Columbia records are fantastic - Monk, Solo Monk, Misterioso, Straight no chaser, Monk's blues. But his earlier work on Blue Note with Coltrane, Milt Jackson and Prestige records with Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey, Miles Davis, Max Roach are my favourites. 'Crepuscule with Nellie', one of his fully-composed lesser known pieces, is my go to Monk's track.

It's unfortunate that his bipolar disorder and manic depression was never diagnosed or treated. Otherwise, he would have continued to be productive in his later years.

Listen to this interesting NPR podcast I came across several years back that discusses Monk's life, music and the man in depth.

The jazz critic you’re referring to was none other than Philip Larkin; clearly a man of great taste :)
Also, Monk was indeed celebrated during his lifetime. He’s only one of five jazz musicians to feature on the cover of Time. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, his final years were really tragic.
While the Columbias are decent, the Blue Note, Prestige and Riverside albums are sublime. Little wonder that you prefer them :)

It’s been 80+ pages and I’m really surprised that I haven’t mentioned my favourite pianist of all time: Thelonius Sphere Monk.
I had heard a lot about the man, but not his music. So, my very first listen was tinged with trepidation as there were quite a few critics of his staccato, angular style. ‘Monk is not for everyone’ was a familiar refrain. Boy, was I glad I listened to the music and not to them!
I was also glad that I started with his first albums as a leader: the appropriately titled ‘Genius of Modern Music’. One can only imagine what an impact these records would have had amongst musicians in 1947.
Below is the BN box set that contains all the material from ‘47 to ‘51. And below that is all the work he did at Prestige, next.
I would urge every jazz neophyte to give Monk a listen. If you’re lucky, like me, his music will move you in ‘Misterioso’ ways :)

View attachment 59404View attachment 59405View attachment 59406View attachment 59407
I also started listening to Monk via this LP.
It is still my favorite. His songs are like a great painting, perfectly balanced in every sense.

The jazz critic you’re referring to was none other than Philip Larkin; clearly a man of great taste :)
Also, Monk was indeed celebrated during his lifetime. He’s only one of five jazz musicians to feature on the cover of Time. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, his final years were really tragic.
While the Columbias are decent, the Blue Note, Prestige and Riverside albums are sublime. Little wonder that you prefer them :)

I did not know, or forgot, it was Philip Larkin who said this about Monk. Larkin was a poet and loved traditional New Orleans style Jazz. He hated bebop, Avant-garde, post-bop etc. What to do! The man has poor taste!

I believe Monk was celebrated by other musicians and listeners. But he did not get the kind of acclaim from critics and reviewers which the likes of Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Herbie Hancock, Oscar Peterson or Dave Brubeck received during their life time. It is only after he stopped playing actively in the late 60s and 70s, that critics understood and appreciated his influence on jazz piano. Of course, Monk was also perceived as 'eccentric', maybe a result of his mental illness, just like another musical genius Charlie Parker.

Superb albums, Moktan!
And, you’ve lucked out with the Art Blakey cover, too :)
This one is gorgeous compared to the plain Jane photo collage cover I’ve got.

IMG_20210715_201255_compress42.jpgIMG_20210715_201510_compress81.jpgYou can goto Japan, (Tokyo blues) and be inspired to record an album without outright Japanese musical influences showing in the recording. You can maybe discover your American side/self while in Japan. "The Rajah" doesn't need a tabla beat to justify the title (answers my own question I was pondering over on the forum). A fellow member said it's very difficult to say what inspires the artist and I agree.

The one downside to having a decent sized music collection is that one occasionally forgets what’s in there.
Pulled out this album after ages (I usually play Joe’s BN work) and was shocked at the lineup; or rather, that I had forgotten who they were.
John Scofield on guitar; Stefon Harris on vibes; Chaka Khan and Sting on vocals!
Great arrangement of a classic.

View attachment 59027View attachment 59028
Great listen ,thanks. Scofield , Holland and Jack de Jhonette add a particularly relaxed but rythmik flavour to the classics.

Diwali and Christmas came early this year, thanks to FM Sydney’s post referencing importcds.com!
The stuff below was shipped on June 8th, and arrived at my doorstep on July 15th. Total including postage was $63, and no customs duty was charged :)

49071B58-B835-4E8F-88FE-18F2A95B6BDB.jpegEC473669-27F0-4EC0-8A3C-3DC14D2D3D04.jpeg

FREE JAZZ!

No, we’re not talking about the avant-garde here; rather, some music that’s actually free.
You‘ll notice in my post above, that Disc 4 in the Horace Parlan box set has two albums: ‘Happy Frame of Mind’ and ‘Blues and Roots’ (the latter by Charles Mingus.
Since I already have these two in my collection, I’d like to give this CD away to someone here. So, if you’d like some free jazz, please see the points below.

I’d like to gift this disc to:
- a Bangalore based FM (I can simply dunzo it to you)
- a regular contributor to this thread
- someone who doesn’t have both albums

Please post here in this thread, rather than send me a pm. That way, we can all see who’s the first to respond. Hope these random rules are ok with all :)

I'd love to have them!
Based in Bangalore, don't have either and I presume I've spammed this thread often enough :)

Delighted to oblige, Jayant!
And, yes, you’ve certainly ticked point 2 many times over :)

Please pm your address and I’ll try to send it out tomorrow itself.
One word of caution: don’t expect any fancy album artwork or liner notes! But I’m quite sure you’ll enjoy the music :)

4E549E9D-3831-4660-AFD0-2D835846D456.jpeg

Delighted to oblige, Jayant!
And, yes, you’ve certainly ticked point 2 many times over :)

Please pm your address and I’ll try to send it out tomorrow itself.
One word of caution: don’t expect any fancy album artwork or liner notes! But I’m quite sure you’ll enjoy the music :)

View attachment 59667
Aw Shucks! I would qualify too. Maybe there is another CD(s) for which you have duplicates ;-)

Aw Shucks! I would qualify too. Maybe there is another CD(s) for which you have duplicates ;-)

No sympathy for you, Shyam, as we all know you’re sitting on a treasure trove of 3000+ CDs!
Just be glad I don’t have your address, else you’d be changing locks right now :)

All kidding aside, I do have the Alice Coltrane and Maisha albums as mp3s burned to disc. They appear as .cda files and play as regular CDs on any player. Naturally, audio quality is not as good as Red Book, but they’re 320 kbps files, so not too shabby. I purchase these mp3s from mp3million.com, and use these discs till I can get my hands on an original cd.

If you’re ok with these, do let me know and I can send across.

Nice Sunday evening listening ....

64vpqv-nighttrain-preview-m3.jpg

Back