All That Jazz ...

One of the issues I have with Charlie Parker albums is the insane number of alternate takes they include on every cd. Swedish Schnapps, for example, has 17 tracks in total with 7 being alternate takes.
The two sets below are an ideal starting point for Bird neophytes. Both have a ton of great tracks with minimal filler, and the packaging on the Verve set is sublime.

17DF7201-F32C-4CEC-833F-B6E82E866044.jpeg4211D0A8-EFAF-4ACB-A210-D9A1160FE3C5.jpeg61BD764E-1D6B-4928-822E-BB615A80925F.jpeg09D3C561-43AB-491C-B6C0-3D6A999AEB68.jpeg4AA24ACC-CF8A-43F7-98FB-C18A51AFF2A2.jpeg

So, just a few days after cribbing about the number of alternate takes on Bird albums, I have no qualms about singing the praises of the below set :)

Now, now, don’t label me a hypocrite just yet. While many of the tracks are repeated across these 8 discs, each performance is so distinct that it really doesn’t matter. If you can find a second hand copy at a reasonable price, don’t think twice.

The Penguin Guide called this ‘the Rosetta Stone of jazz’. No arguments from me!

6C7BCF8B-E90A-4A48-93EC-963BF3FF1A80.jpeg5372B8F0-96A7-4A35-BC79-18B909D3D9AA.jpeg

I've discovered so many amazing artists through this Japanese jazz label. Highly recommended! Here's my Three Blind Mice collection so far.

CD
Isao Suzuki Quartet - Blue City
Isao Suzuki Quartet - Orang-utan
Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar
Kosuke Mine Qunitet - Mine
Teruo Nakamura - Unicorn
Masaru Imada Quartet - Now!!
IMG_20210824_010903.jpg

Vinyl
Isao Suzuki Quartet - Blow Up
Shuko Mizuno - Jazz Orchestra 73
Shuko Mizuno - Jazz Orchestra 75
Mari Nakamoto - Unforgettable!
George Kawaguchi The Big 4 - The Big 4
Masaru Imada Trio - Yokohama Concert
IMG_20210822_161722.jpg

I've discovered so many amazing artists through this Japanese jazz label. Highly recommended! Here's my Three Blind Mice collection so far.

CD
Teruo Nakamura - Unicorn
View attachment 61321

Vinyl
View attachment 61320

Another recruit for the B’lore Jazz Club!
Whether you like it or not, peace sells :)

First, the good news: my second order from importcds.com shipped from the US on July 27th, and arrived today in pristine condition.
Now, the bad: customs duty was 2k! The total bill value was $77, and there’s no indication of how the customs guys arrived at this magic figure.
However, a quick swipe of the abacus reveals that inr7.6k for 16 albums translates to 475 bucks each. For albums like some of these that are oop and going for serious coin, that’s music to my ears!

1C595494-0D61-4083-9512-EB55D85C80D1.jpeg

CD
Teruo Nakamura - Unicorn
View attachment 61321

Vinyl
View attachment 61320
Woah, insane collection! I plan to get more of the BBE and Three Blind Mice reissues soon. Btw is this Saket?

Super happy to get these reissues of some classic Polish jazz titles!
The aptly titled ‘Polish Jazz’ series by the iconic label Polskie Nagrania "Muza" in Warsaw has released some of the most incredible jazz albums in Europe since the 1960s. The centerpiece of the series is without doubt Komeda Quintet’s Astigmatic. An album that’s widely regarded as the greatest European jazz album and just as influential to the jazz scene over there as Kind of Blue, Ah Um, Shape of Jazz to Come and Love Supreme were to the American scene.

IMG_20210626_120548_698.jpg

Hi Chinmay. Yes this is Saket. Good to hear from you.

Polskie Nagrania sounds interesting. Will check out this label.
Hey, good to hear from you too! Still in Japan? I've been collecting a bunch of Japanese records recently but the duty charges from Japan are insane. So I get them from the UK and other parts of Europe.

@acemachine26
What a gorgeous setup!
I‘ve always felt that the ‘look’ of your hifi adds to the joy of listening to your music. You’ve created a great way to change the look by simply swapping out albums to suit your mood.
If your location is accurate, expect a home invasion from some B’lore boys soon :)

@peace_sells
What a low blow!
Here I was, thinking I had an opportunity to listen to Suzuki’s Blow Up on vinyl. And then I discover you’ve cheated on your location! :)
Japan is a jazz lover’s dream come true, as I’m sure you know. I have no idea what it is about those obi strips but I keep wanting more!

@sid.rhythm
I sincerely hope we can form a B’lore jazz club in the near future. Perhaps, post the upcoming holiday season, we’ll have a clearer picture of the pandemic and be in a better position to work it out.

What a gorgeous setup!
I‘ve always felt that the ‘look’ of your hifi adds to the joy of listening to your music. You’ve created a great way to change the look by simply swapping out albums to suit your mood.
If your location is accurate, expect a home invasion from some B’lore boys soon
Thanks! A B'lore meetup sounds fun, I'm down.

@peace_sells
What a low blow!
Here I was, thinking I had an opportunity to listen to Suzuki’s Blow Up on vinyl. And then I discover you’ve cheated on your location! :)
Japan is a jazz lover’s dream come true, as I’m sure you know. I have no idea what it is about those obi strips but I keep wanting more!
Well, I currently live in Japan. But I will return to Bangalore with all these records one day. :)
Hey, good to hear from you too! Still in Japan? I've been collecting a bunch of Japanese records recently but the duty charges from Japan are insane. So I get them from the UK and other parts of Europe.
Yes, I'm still in Japan. Why are duties higher from Japan? I know that Japan Post has stopped sending parcels to India. Parcel sent via JP post shouldn't attract that much custom duty from my experience. But if you were were receiving parcels from DHL or Fedex.. then that's a problem.

Yes, I'm still in Japan. Why are duties higher from Japan? I know that Japan Post has stopped sending parcels to India. Parcel sent via JP post shouldn't attract that much custom duty from my experience. But if you were were receiving parcels from DHL or Fedex.. then that's a problem.
Yup that's the issue. I placed orders with CDJapan and P-Vine records using JP but had to upgrade to DHL or Fedex since JP suspended operations to India. Duty was as high as around 50-70% of the record which is ridiculous. I really wanted that Yoshiko Sai box set but no way I could afford it with those charges.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back