Allo Volt+D (Class D) Power Amp: My impressions and experiments

@raghupb it is a TDA3118D2 chip and don't run it off 24v. The best SQ in terms of THD you will get is at 19.5.
Also the 45/50 watt ratings are the peak values at a much higher THD.
At 19.5 volt, these put out around 20 clean watts at around 0.1 % THD at 8 ohm and a little more at 4 Ohm at a little higher thd.
In BTL mode these can do 30 watt at 8 ohm, btl not advisable for 4 ohm without better heat dissipation.

Its elder brother tda3116D2 packs twice the power but 3118 sounds more musical.

I was running three 3118D2 boards and one 3116d2 mono board in a 4 way active setup in my car with superb results.
So I was playing with off the shelf TPA3118 modules. Noticed that with input unconnected, and also with around 20-25kohm across input pins (no signal), there's a distinct low volume hissing/ white noise audible from speakers. As soon as signal is applied or input is shorted, it disappears. Any tips on source of this/ remedy?

I am thinking of going this route. Got some spare Polk bookshelves lying around, RTi4. Also a Chromecast Audio + DAC (iFi Zen or Modi 3) Thinking of getting the Volt+attenuator+case along with a 19W power supply. Will set me back by 4K or so. Too good to be true?

You can start with a 19v laptop charger..if you supposed to buy, then buy 24V ..

Btw, I haven't heard this Amp yet..

In my experience the 24v power supply opens up the sound stage a bit more and is overall better sounding than with the 19v stock power supply and more so with less sensitive speakers.
Thanks for your impressions... Will it heat with more with 24v psu?

@abhay.jena Thanks. Received the amplifier.

I first tried with with Modi 3 and then with ifi Zen Dac.

It is no Rega, but it is quite sweet - especially with my Polk bookshelves RTI4. The Sonodynes did not sound as good; guess they need more power.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back