Altec Lansing MX5021 or VS3251?

sathish

I use my computer speakers only to listen to music and watch movies. Should I go for the 2.1 speakers or the 5.1(VS3251)?

I've read very good reviews about the MX5021, but at the same time, I would like surround sound.. but not at the expense of too much quality.

Can someone advise me a bit please?

All music is stereo i.e. 2.0 and not even 2.1. SFX is ruled out for music. If you watch a lot (and really a lot) of movies then consider the 5.1, but otherwise for music the MX5021 has no comparison.

Hi moser,

Between Audioengine A2 and Altec Lansing MX5021 which one will you reccomend to be paired with a xonar essence?

cheers,
sri

All music is stereo i.e. 2.0 and not even 2.1. SFX is ruled out for music. If you watch a lot (and really a lot) of movies then consider the 5.1, but otherwise for music the MX5021 has no comparison.

Thank you.

I'd also like the opinion of someone who has used the VS3251.. I'm curious about its quality.

I don't think there are any places in Chennai that offer a demo.

Hi moser,

Between Audioengine A2 and Altec Lansing MX5021 which one will you reccomend to be paired with a xonar essence?

cheers,
sri

Sri,

Honestly I did not like the A2s very much. I'm a huge fan of the A5 though and if you can swing it go with the Audioengine A5. Otherwise if it's only between A2 and Altec Lansing MX5021 my vote goes to Altec Lansing especially with the subwoofer and they perform very good good for music.

In the long run though with the output the Asus Essence delivers it's better to go for BS or FS with a stereo amp.

MX5021 gets my vote as well. As a matter of fact I have them connected to my main PC. But take this with a little salt as I been hearing of a reduction in quality of the Altec Lansing speakers in recent times.

Hi vortex,
Thanks for the reply and it was nice meeting you at the shootout.

cheers,
sri

I use my computer speakers only to listen to music and watch movies. Should I go for the 2.1 speakers or the 5.1(VS3251)?

I've read very good reviews about the MX5021, but at the same time, I would like surround sound.. but not at the expense of too much quality.

Can someone advise me a bit please?

5021 is unmatchable at its price range. Really wonderful speakers. In fact, you can hear the mp3 artifacts clearly on low bitrate (Anything below 196kbps) mp3 files. Very annoying at times. Because of this you need better quality music files. FLAC is your friend.

I have creative 2.1 which my bro got for like 1k or something. Would it be fair to say that they won't even compare to the Altec Lansing? I want something that's good..

I used to have a sony stereo system hooked up to my computer.

I have creative 2.1 which my bro got for like 1k or something. Would it be fair to say that they won't even compare to the Altec Lansing? I want something that's good..

I used to have a sony stereo system hooked up to my computer.

You have to listen to them. No way does Creative compare to them. Maybe the I-Trigue and GigaWorks to some extent, but for music the Altec Lansing is in a different league compared to other PC speakers. Cannot say about the Sony unless its high-end.

You have to listen to them. No way does Creative compare to them. Maybe the I-Trigue and GigaWorks to some extent, but for music the Altec Lansing is in a different league compared to other PC speakers. Cannot say about the Sony unless its high-end.

Cheers for the reply.

One last query.

I was looking through the prices and on Ritchie street's Delta Peripherals, the model listed is MX5021E.. is there any difference between the MX5021 and the MX5021E?

I mailed Altec Lansing about it and I got a reply. If anyone's interested..

There is no difference between MX5021 or MX5021E actually we differentiate the models by the country or region by adding a alphabet at the end of the model no

Heh.

Bought them and I'm slightly underwhelmed.

Can anyone please give me some advise on positioning of the speakers, etc for getting the best performance out of them?

Space them out. All speakers will perform better (rather sound better) with space between them so spread them out as much as possible. Experiment with moving them as much as possible to find the best possible position for them.

I personally wall mount all my speakers since I only have BS and/or PC speakers for the HT and music units.

Can anyone please give me some advise on positioning of the speakers, etc for getting the best performance out of them?

Hi,

what sound card are you using. Multimedia speakers depend greatly on sound cards to give a satisfactory output.
Can you give us the cost you paid for the speakers?

cheers,
sri

Last edited:

First things first - do give them at least a day's worth of playing for some break in. Also as Srikarkav asked what soundcard are you using?

I had the Altec MX 5021 Speakers sometime back and I was not happy with the sound.The Mid-range is lacking.The Highs are good.The bass again is muffled not clear.As I was not happy with the sound from my Comp. I took it home & connected it to my Pioneer DV 410 Player.Was disappointed again.:sad:

Each one's choice is different.For sound I'll give it 5/10.

Bought it 4 Rs7250/- & sold 4 the same amount.No loss no gain.Happy I got rid of it soon.:)

Regards,

Francis

I had the Altec MX 5021 Speakers sometime back and I was not happy with the sound.The Mid-range is lacking.The Highs are good.The bass again is muffled not clear.As I was not happy with the sound from my Comp. I took it home & connected it to my Pioneer DV 410 Player.Was disappointed again.:sad:

Each one's choice is different.For sound I'll give it 5/10.

Bought it 4 Rs7250/- & sold 4 the same amount.No loss no gain.Happy I got rid of it soon.:)

Regards,

Francis

I have been hearing such complaints about recent shipments of the MX5021. I can attest that the original MX5021 is certainly not lacking in midrange or in bass! It is a bargain of the highest order. And it can be modded to boot.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back