Alternatives to Samsung 40B650

avenger1976

All,

Thanks for all your suggestions to my earlier queries. I have narrowed down my choice to the Samsung 40B650. However, I have read a lot about there being many panels to choose from, and luck being a factor in getting the right panel. What are these panels? can we insist on a TV with a specific panel? Any info will be great.

Also, I have been on the lookout for this TV for the past couple of weeks, and have been unable to find even a single piece (I have heard of dealers quoting upwards of 75-78K, which is not what I am willing to pay). And frankly I am running out of patience and am willing to look at other brands.

Hence, as a good alternative to this TV, what would you suggest? Here are my priorities:

• PQ as close as possible to Samsung 40B650
  • Under 70K, but worst case scenario - stretchable to 75K
  • Preferable USB inputs on the side
  • HDMI input on the side
  • 50% Movies and music, 40% News and 10% gaming (XBOX)
  • Lot of sunlight in the living room, with a viewing distance of about 12-14 feet

I do realise there were discussions earlier in this regard, but have now narrowed down on what I want, so - specific suggestions will be much appreciated. I am looking at Sony and LG (I know its a huge swing in price and quality, but the options are not much). Any other brands that are recommended?

~ Thanks in advance.
Praveen

All,

Thanks for all your suggestions to my earlier queries. I have narrowed down my choice to the Samsung 40B650. However, I have read a lot about there being many panels to choose from, and luck being a factor in getting the right panel. What are these panels? can we insist on a TV with a specific panel? Any info will be great.

Also, I have been on the lookout for this TV for the past couple of weeks, and have been unable to find even a single piece (I have heard of dealers quoting upwards of 75-78K, which is not what I am willing to pay). And frankly I am running out of patience and am willing to look at other brands.

Hence, as a good alternative to this TV, what would you suggest? Here are my priorities:

• PQ as close as possible to Samsung 40B650
  • Under 70K, but worst case scenario - stretchable to 75K
  • Preferable USB inputs on the side
  • HDMI input on the side
  • 50% Movies and music, 40% News and 10% gaming (XBOX)
  • Lot of sunlight in the living room, with a viewing distance of about 12-14 feet

I do realise there were discussions earlier in this regard, but have now narrowed down on what I want, so - specific suggestions will be much appreciated. I am looking at Sony and LG (I know its a huge swing in price and quality, but the options are not much). Any other brands that are recommended?

~ Thanks in advance.
Praveen

The SONY 40W550 is comparable to the 40B650. However, it is around 90K and a bit above your plannned budget. The SONY 40V550A is a good alternative for a good PQ with very good connectivity. It is around 70K. However, it will not have the 100Hz Motion Flow technology that the W series has on it. The SONYs have the BE3, which is good for upscaling SD (Tata Sky) signals. The SONYs have very good contrast and good PQ, but will be slightly more expensive than the Samsungs, LGs & Panasonics.

The LG LH90 LED/ LCD is also a good alternative. It is 42" in size with back-lit LEDs. The USB on the LG's can play DivX movie formats too. Depending on your bargaining skills, people on this forum have got it for as low as 68K. The other LGs you may want to consider is LG LH50 or Scarlet 2.0, roughly around the budget you are looking for.

The Panasonic Plasma Full HD (G10, S10) are also good, but considering you have a well lit living room, reflection may be an issue. If you can manage with curtains etc., the 2009 Panasonic Plasmas are also good alternatives.

Geotracks,

Thanks for your reply. But if I am planning to use the TV for gaming, will plasma be a goob alternative? I heard that plasmas are not that great when it comes to gaming. Any opinions?

I did check the Sony 40V550A this weekend. Although it does not have 100mHz motion flow, it did a pretty good job with sports (tennis - the serves and volleys were crisp without any jumps) and also with the scrolling tickers on news channels. It was available for 70K in Bangalore. I am leaning towards this model. But, am just trying to look at LG alternatives too.

~ Thanks again

Geotracks,

Thanks for your reply. But if I am planning to use the TV for gaming, will plasma be a goob alternative? I heard that plasmas are not that great when it comes to gaming. Any opinions?

I did check the Sony 40V550A this weekend. Although it does not have 100mHz motion flow, it did a pretty good job with sports (tennis - the serves and volleys were crisp without any jumps) and also with the scrolling tickers on news channels. It was available for 70K in Bangalore. I am leaning towards this model. But, am just trying to look at LG alternatives too.

~ Thanks again

well plasmas are good for gaming,but it just wont look as crisp and sharp as a lcd.the V550A is a good choice,but if u do wan't direct alternative to B650 then the W550A is the closet.

Nidhi,

Thanks for the reply. I too felt the same way about thr B650, and hence have been waiting for over 15-20 days, in the hope that the stocks replenished and the TV will be available soon.

Yes. I am in Bangalore. I checked with Unilet on 100ft road, and they were ready to sell a 40B650 for 68K, without any freebies. But when they checked to reconfirm the availability, it was out of stock. Now, with this TV out of stock for over 20-30 days, I am apprehensive to pick a piece that any retailer has, as it could very well be a demo piece. So, if I am picking this TV, I will wait for the stocks to be replenished (which may be in another 15 days).

Thats why I was looking for alternatives.

Whenever I find time, I have been barging into every electronics showroom and trying out the demos. I am convinced about the 40B650, LG 40" LH90, Sony 40V550. Its now just a question of my patience. Else, I might go for the LG, as it seems a reasonable alternative.

Well, lets see how the hunt goes. Please do let me know if there is a ny store that has more stock. Besides, I havent heard too many great things about Pai. So, is it a good idea to pick something from them?

~ Praveen.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back