Am buying from the US - what about the transformer?

ngd

I am planning on buying from the US cos the prices are much lower there. I understand that I need a transformer. I also understand many forumites have bought from the US too. My questions are:

• What are the recommended transformers?
  • What is the form factor - are they small compact or do they take up space?
  • How much heat do they generate?
  • Price and availability

When I moved from the US to India, I brought over my printer. Then I bought a xformer here and one day the printer just started generating smoke! I don't want that to happen again.

Forumites? Makes me feel like an insect !! :) There have been a number of threads on the forum discussing step down transformers. In any case, I will attempt to give you some quick answers.

[*]What are the recommended transformers?

There are no nation wide brands. You have to look for one in the local market. Maxine (SHAH ELECTRONICS) has some reputation, but you have to see if there is a dealer in your city.

[*]What is the form factor - are they small compact or do they take up space?

Depends upon the Kva that you go for. An 1.5 KVa will be roughly 12 to 15 cubic inches in size.

[*]How much heat do they generate?

Transformers do generate heat. After a short while, if you touch the body, it could be anywhere from 25 to 40 degrees Celsius depending upon construction and parts quality.

Cheers

[*]What is the form factor - are they small compact or do they take up space?

Depends upon the Kva that you go for. An 1.5 KVa will be roughly 12 to 15 cubic inches in size.

Thanks for the information. Any idea how much "KVa" i will need for a Denon 2310?

Also, the frequency is different here... will there be the 'humming' sound?

Please search and read thru many threads on this forum and ask any specific questions you have, as this has been discussed many times before.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back