Amazon Fire Stick vs Google Chromecast 2 ?

Kudla

Which is better between 'Fire Stick' and 'Chromecast 2' for HD(1080P) streaming onto TV?

Please advise! :)

Chrome cast is a product of Google whereas Fire Stick is from Amazon. Both have different functions altogether which I will try to explain below.

Chromecast is a hardware device that lets you cast/project AV content from your mobile phone or computer or tab on your TV over WiFi, so that you can enjoy movies on the TV's large screen. You can watch movies which are stored in your mobile phone or computer on the TV or you can play youtube videos on your mobile or computer and watch on your TV.
Fire stick is a hardware device which when connected to your TV can convert it to a smart TV. You can directly play videos on your TV screen while the fire stick is connected to it. This also requires a wifi connection. You can select movies or other videos available on the fire stick via the video menu from the TV screen. Of late YouTube videos are not available in Fire stick.
Hope I'm clear.I would personally prefer a fire stick over chrome cast as the fire stick can make my HD TV a Smart TV.

which echo system you want to be in? Amazon or Google?
after that it is simple

Chrome cast is a product of Google whereas Fire Stick is from Amazon. Both have different functions altogether which I will try to explain below.

Chromecast is a hardware device that lets you cast/project AV content from your mobile phone or computer or tab on your TV over WiFi, so that you can enjoy movies on the TV's large screen. You can watch movies which are stored in your mobile phone or computer on the TV or you can play youtube videos on your mobile or computer and watch on your TV.
Fire stick is a hardware device which when connected to your TV can convert it to a smart TV. You can directly play videos on your TV screen while the fire stick is connected to it. This also requires a wifi connection. You can select movies or other videos available on the fire stick via the video menu from the TV screen. Of late YouTube videos are not available in Fire stick.
Hope I'm clear.I would personally prefer a fire stick over chrome cast as the fire stick can make my HD TV a Smart TV.

I agree, Chromecast is not that smart. Fire TV can run Kodi, it opens lot of doors.

Of late YouTube videos are not available in Fire stick.
That's a bummer! Are there workarounds for the same? We would miss on so much content on YouTube!
Edit: I see 'Youtube.com' app on the amazon website for 'Fire Stick'. Have they brought it back OR is it misrepresentation? :rolleyes:

I agree, Chromecast is not that smart. Fire TV can run Kodi, it opens lot of doors.
I hear this on lot many forums. Is it a simple click n install OR there are many a steps to achieve the same?

Last edited:
That's a bummer! Are there workarounds for the same? We would miss on so much content on YouTube!
Edit: I see 'Youtube.com' app on the amazon website for 'Fire Stick'. Have they brought it back OR is it misrepresentation? :rolleyes:
they run it inside a container - Silk/firefox browser ( so they have a work around :)

I hear this on lot many forums. Is it a simple click n install OR there are many a steps to achieve the same?

Youtube, there are workarounds. No worries there.

Kodi, just couple of steps but easy. Almost click n install.

Google throws a number of results when you search for workaround to install Youtube app in fire tv stick.

I'm sorry I'm not aware of Kodi. What is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chromecast - casting from phone very easy. Amazon prime video doesn't work
Amazon fire stick - no youtube natively, casting not so easy. Built for Amazon prime video

What are your requirements?

Any advantages of 'Fire Stick' over 'Fire TV', apart from being portable? :)
It is just $10 difference between them, so can buy either of them.

Is VPN must to use Kodi on FireStick? Please advise!

No need of VPN for your local content on NAS and most of the plugins. I don't use many plugins but I never encountered any problems that require VPN.

Saw this message only today and tried installing. It doesn’t show me the downloader app. Probably this is where I was stuck previously as well.

May be you take the method 2 route then.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back