• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Amp and Speaker help needed

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers

arunlouie

Hi Guys,

I am planning to put my first step in my audio life. I don't have good budget to buy everything in one go or to start with a good AVR, So initially I am planning to get a good stereo amp and a bookshelf pair.

I have decided to go with Norge 1000 and wharfedale 9.1/2/3.

Norge 1000: Found great reviews in net. Also in future I will be pairing it with a good Floorstanders, so opted for this because it got more power. My usage mostly will be music in future also. So is it a good choice for it?

Wharfedale Speakers: Great reviews. Now I will be using it as stereo but later I will put these either in sides or surrounds. Advice me to which one to choose (9.1/2/3).

Expecting your opinion and also suggestions for any other setups. :)

- ARUN

captainrizal

Arun,
you have not mentioned your budget. As a matter of fact I was thinking of initiating a new thread for budget stereo amps and speakers.
I, myself planning to purchase stereo amplifier and speakers at a budget of 40K. I have not decided about buying new CD player yet, I may add it later. At present I will hook up my ipod to receiver.
I have shortlisted Cambridge audio amplifier(75w) Azur and quad bookshelf speakers.
I already have a decent AVR Denon Av 1705 and 5.1 Jamo speakers and sub woofer.
Now i want to add up stereo amps and speakers to my system:clapping:

gobble

If you plan to switch between pure stereo and 5.1 then the 9.2 or 10.2 are a good choice for the two fronts.

Not sure if Norge1000 will drive a floorstander but @less than 15K the 9.2s are the best you can get. The 10.2 may be more expensive.

A good bookshelf is better than a cheap floorstander @the same price.

Search for norge in the forum, lot of threads.

HTH

sonosphere

Hi arunlouie,
I have auditioned Wharfedale 9.1 and 9.2 with Norge-1000, and Norge-2060. Both the Wharfedales are good at their price points.

you can read my 9.1 review in this forum (at http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/4405-norge-1000-amp-wharfedale-9-1-a.html).

Audition of the bigger brother, 9.2, the next day, satisfied my "wish-list" mentioned in aforementioned review to a good extent. I would say 9.2s almost sounded like floorstanders at moderate volume (volume knob at 12'o clock position)

For best VFM with Wharfedales, I would suggest Norge-2060 with Wharfedale 9.2. (For better VFM, Also consider Norge Millenium speakers, they have similar specs. I couldn't audition them, but reviews on web are good. Checkout their website Norge Audio)

Regards,

rallynut

from a vfm standpoint,the norge amp+norge millenium spk combo should be a worthwhile listen.of course with the wharfs cant go wrong as theyre great speakers for their price.try the mission m series bookshelves as well.cheers