Amp Camp Amp comes home

Kannan

Thanks to @manniraj @sachu888 and @murali_n

Hi fellow members,

I was not aware of the adventurous Burning Amp meet by diyaudio in coordination with the venerable Mr. Nelson Pass that led to the Amp Camp Amp.

And when the group build was arranged in our forum in 2013, I was not active.

Then I happened to see a recent classified advt. by FM @manniraj and then read about the AMP Camp and was plenty impressed.
But I was late in responding as the Amp got sold.

Then I started the hunt and kept pestering @manniraj as he was one of the original group builders to find one for me. When later he told it might be hard to find one for sale, I PMed Sachin sir @sachu888 hoping there was a leftover kit.
To my glee, he directed me to Murali sir @murali_n right in my city who had a fully built amp for sale.

I immediately called him up and he was kind enough to bring the amp for checking in my setup, and I purchased it.
He told me that the amp was built by Mr. Saeed, (a long time friend), and it gave me added happiness.

So what attracted me to Amp Camp.
Here is the long list
1. I enjoy all DIY stuff
2. NELSON PASS
3. CLASS A
4. COST
5. Rave reviews
6. Simple and compact built
The most important was that it was a dual mono design (FET based Class A), just like the Adcom GFA-4302 amplifier that I am using now. Sachin confirmed that mine too was FET single ended Class A.

Now I have two Nelson Pass amplifiers. The Adcom designed I think in 1984 and this one in 2013.

I presently have a setup that I am happy with in which I have tweaked the speakers over 4/5 months by making some modifications to the enclosure. The other components that had remain unchanged include TEAC DAC, Blue Jeans interconnects, Klotz speaker cables and mac mini as transport.
Two days back i switched over to USBridge as transport, which I find is a major improvement over using a computer.

Since the Adcom has settled very well in my chain, the AMP CAMP for me became an easy choice owing to design similarities and the designer being the same.
Since I like the present sound signature with the Adcom, the AMP CAMP gave me that added confidence.
As expected, the 5 watt (at 19 volts into 8 ohms) was more than enough to power my speakers taking into consideration my room size, listening distance and a reasonably sensitive pair of 4 ohm speakers. I guess at half the impedance, the system is drawing a little more power.

In terms of spec differences, The Adcom does 30 watt RMS at 4 ohms
Both the AMP CAMP and the Adcom are powered from switch mode supplies

i have still not given a critical listening session, as I have to buy some banana plugs etc.
But whatever little I and Murli sir heard was more than encouraging.

Since he has hardly used it, I guess the amp will need some good burn in aswell.

It does get quite warm, and I plan to add a fan to each to the heat sinks.

There are many online suggestions for using these on full rangers (though I am not a great fan of those), but I do have a pair of 6.5 inch Audio Nirvana full range drivers and a pair of 12 inch Arphi full rangers to check.

Thanks once again to @murali_n @sachu888 and @manniraj and all those members who have shared their experience in the forum about the amp.

I will soon be getting my hands on another amp that I have been wanting for a long time, Adcom GFA-535 mkii.

Wishing all a great week ahead

Cheers
Kannan

Here are some pics. I really love this fiery red (or is it Ferrari red) colour, all my past amps have been black.

IMG_20180806_104205.jpg

IMG_20180806_104348.jpg

IMG_20180806_104417.jpg

ACA is very good. I am using it since 2013.
Here is mine
fHLF1wm.jpg

0BL8mNP.jpg

9IYDd9z.jpg

Regards
Sachin

Temporary contraption to improve heat dissipation.

A 6 inch tall U-shaped hurriedly made stand with the MDF pieces I had in hand.
Rubber feet for both the amp and the stand.adds another inch and also improves isolation.

The U shaped stand helps in dissipation of heat from both top and bottom of the amp.
The downward air flow from the 5 inch Cool Master (very low noise profile) fan placed on top of the amp helps blowing away the heat through the lower vents.

The heat sink is almost 60% cooler now even after 3 hours of continues use.

IMG_20180808_004949.jpg

IMG_20180808_004944.jpg

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back