Amp for dyn focus 110 or kef ls50

nandac

So I landed in the USA again after many years. Looking to build a small not too expensive system - simple but good sq - for like $1000 for speakers and likewise for amp. I already have an arcam irdac on hand.

I have decided to go with small bookshelves - either the dyn focus 110 (goes for little under $1000 used here) or kef ls50 which is a couple of hundred dollars more new. The older b&w cm1 and cm5 used can be had at half their original price.

After being wowed by a old musical fidelity b1, which you can listen to endlessly without fatigue I checked for the older used mfs - these options are available : a 230 v x-a1 ($300) or a x-150 ($500) or a a300 ($700) or (class a) a1 reissue from 2004 ($700). I am not sure about the newer models like m3i since I was disappointed with the build of the m1 dac. Also with the new rega brio coming in, the older model rega brio r, is selling for like $700 new. I also looked at the rogue sphinx v2 - but not sure. Likewise a Creek destiny used can also be had for like $800.

I am also intrigued by the combo of the nad d3020 and q acoustics concept 20s. But that's at half my budget new and so thougt I can do better.

Appreciate the forum members insights on the synergy between the above choices or suggestions on any other amp or speakers which I should consider in the similar price range.

PS : around 5 years back when I landed in Singapore I had made a similar query on the forum. At that time I went with a naim nait 5i2 and dyn x12 - the combo which unfortunately I never really enjoyed. Hoping to do better this time.

Last edited:
If you like the sound of LS50 then check out LS50 wireless, its got so many features with so little wires. Its close the price you are looking at https://www.kefdirect.com/ls50-wireless-hifi-system.html

You will get the amp suggestions from more experienced members, however, do check out For Sale section in Audiogon

Atleast give an audition and post your views.

Interms amplification for LS50 all experts recommend min. high quality clean 100+ watts

Last edited:
You can try out Arcam A29 with LS50. I have heard A19 with LS50. A29 should be stellar. Go for as many auditions as possible.

Last edited:
Try the new generation class d with an open mind

Many factory direct companies offer a 7 day return so you can do that if it's not your cup of tea

A class d power amp couples with a good tube pre should ideally sound very good

And best is they are not very bulky, so you can bring it back to india if you wish so

Anybody tried the new NAD amps - most of which seem to be class D? After a few years of experimentation with hifi and growing tired of its idiosyncrasies, I look back nostalgically at my panasonic 2-in-1 on which I enjoyed music immensely during my college years. The new breed of class D amps - NAD, Rogue Sphinx etc - with their friendlier power requirements, easy synergy etc seem to provide a ray of hope to my frustrated ears.

Last edited:
BTW there is a pair of Nola Boxers on sale in NYC at a reasonable price. Sensitivity is 90db but they are so f.u.g.l.y.

Last edited:
Not heard the newer class d nada
But, i have been hearing jls001's class d amps (monoblocs) on a regular basis

You can read more about the amp here

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/65258-improving-tpa3118-class-d-amplifier.html

Each monobloc is size of a 5 inch mobile and needs a laptop brick to power up. Jls001 has made some changes to the parts to improve the sound which in diy terms are very basic changes

Believe me, it's hard to know that the new class d are playing. Paired with the right pre amp it sounds way better then his 100 watt class a amp

I am not saying class d now is the best and better then class a or ab but a well implemented one sounds pretty good. Very clean and very good extension

open to totem rainmakers ? i hear they are very good

I had the Totem Model 1 (which interestingly enough use DynAudio drivers). Lovely sound, true mini-monitors, great bass extension for their size. They are power hungry though - I ended up driving them with Parasound power amp and then they really started singing.

My strong suggestion would be Dayens Ampino or their bigger variants. They sound phenomenal - I am not 100% sure of the exact pairing with your speakers, but they generally sound so incredibly good.

Edit: Verty Audio sells/resells Dayens in the US. Besides Ampino, they also have higher power models, the Menuetto and Ecstasy. I am a happy owner of Ecastasy 2 for quite a while now. Plus, they also have power amp and monoblock variants of the Ampino.

Last edited:
I had the Totem Model 1 (which interestingly enough use DynAudio drivers). Lovely sound, true mini-monitors, great bass extension for their size. They are power hungry though - I ended up driving them with Parasound power amp and then they really started singing.

asliarun

the ampino may not have the juice but the Ecstasy 3 would - from the Dayens stable

i finally decided to go midfi - got a nad d3020 and a dali mentor menuet (store model which came at a really good price). I need bluetooth in my current situation and so toyed with the idea of buying a rega brio with arcam miniblink. but finally decided on the nad. Maybe down the road i will get a rega brio (2017) with dyn 110 for my main system. after experimenting with hi end amps and speakers i think easy synergy/requirements is easier to live with and makes music listening more enjoyable. thanks for all the insights forum members.

Back