Amp&Spk Solution arnd 60K-80K

neo

Hello! Friends:),I am planning to buy a new pair of speakers & an amplifier. My choice of music is mostly rock/hip-hop/jazz/ classsical etc.So i guess the set up has to have good alround sound.

I am going to use an old sony 50 cd changer & upgrade latter. I'll be using Kimber 4pr spk cables & pbj interconnects which will also be upgraded at a latter stage.

I'm already using a nad320bee/nad542/dynaudio audience 52/Kimber 8tc spk cable & hero interconnects. I am looking to better or at least get similar sound quality.

My confusion is that if I should split my budget roughly to 50% for the spks &amp equally, or pair a more expensive amp with cheaper spks?

My choice of amps is cyrus6/8, creek 50ir/5350SE, Roksan KandyII, Nad 352,RotelRA-05/06. I've narrowed the list acc to the reviews on the net & various magazines but have not had time to go & audition them, also the creek & cyrus seems to be unavailable in Mumbai.So pl give me your valuable opinions.

I've not really been able to narrow down on the spks so all suggestions are welcome.
Cheers

My confusion is that if I should split my budget roughly to 50% for the spks &amp equally, or pair a more expensive amp with cheaper spks?

I would suggest you to split your budget equally or more in favour of the speakers.

BTW your budget of 80K - is it for both the amp and speakers?

I have heard the Cyrus 8vs2 at La Kozy in Mumbai many months ago. I used to own the Creek 5350 before I bought a Plinus to drive my power hungry speakers and I think the new 5650SE should be even better.

Hey! Cyrus Thanks for your input. The budget is for spk as well as the amp.

Its nice to know that you've been able to audition both the Creek & the Cyrus, I?d love to know your views a bit more in detail.

As for your opinion regarding to split the budget 50-50 more in favour of the spk, I had done the same with my existing set up i.e. the nad 320bee & dynaudio audience 52 & I must say i pretty happy with my set up. But I?ve heard my spk on quad 909 & the krell 400xi & I found that my spks sounded much better. So I?m still a bit confused on that front

Cheers.

I disliked the Cyrus amp because it had a lean and clinical sound which made the instruments sound kinda thin. With the Creek instruments sounded more fuller and rounded and thus more musical.

The Dynaudio 52 are great speakers and definately demand a better amp than the NAD 320BEE. Incidently the price ratio of the Dynaudio 52 to the NAD 320BEE is 2:1

A Dynaudio is pretty premium even though your model is the entry level. List out what you want. More power or refinement. More detail or punch. Then it becomes simpler. Given your choice of music, Nait5i should be ideal. It would be available in Singapore for USD1500. Else in India, check out Cambridge Azur 840A. But stop looking at NAD since you already have one and want a better sound.
Cheers and let us know what you finally ended up with.

Hello everyone,

I joined yesterday and this is my second post (after the introductory one).

I endorse the opinion that the Dynaudio 52's need a better amp than the NAD C320. They may be entry level bookshelves for Dynaudio, but they're pretty detailed and would definitely sound better with a higher quality amp such as the Nait 5i, the Musical Fidelity A3.5, the Bryston B60, the Rega Mira 3, the Creek 5350SE, or an ARCAM A80/90. I havent heard the Roksan Kandy but am told it's quite impressive. Another option could be the hybrid Jolida 1500, which I'm planning to audition soon.

If your 52s sounded better with the more expensive amps, then an option could be to upgrade just the amp and stay with the speakers.

Regards/CC

Hello! Friends & a very warm welcome to Colecutter. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am looking for a completely new setup. Where in for the moment I?m going to use an old sony cd changer & kimber cables. For the new set up I?m a bit confused as to what my budget allocation should be for the amp & the spk.

As for my existing nad/dyna set up I?ll be upgrading the amp as well the cd player at a latter stage.

Keep those suggestions coming.

Cheers

I'm already using a nad320bee/nad542/dynaudio audience 52/Kimber 8tc spk cable & hero interconnects. I am looking to better or at least get similar sound quality.

I've not really been able to narrow down on the spks so all suggestions are welcome.
Cheers

Hi Neo, Wanted to know if the Nad amps were able to drive the 4 ohms Dyna Audiance 52. Are you happy with the Dyna 52 sound? What other speakers did you hear the and what are you looking at now?
Ciao
Nevil

Hi NEO,
Firstly the Kimber 4 PR + PBJ may be entry level but they do sound good in many set ups so u should think before u just spend on that upgrade.
For ur existing set up why not add a power amp and use ur 320 as a pre? Something like a Nad 272 or a stratos(i remember u said u liked it)
Actually in practical terms there is no thumb rule on budget allocation.The old theory of splitting the budget 3 way will sometimes work and sometimes u can do better with some deviation. Buy the speakers u like best and then provide the best amplification u can afford.
Lastly the amps u mention are in various price ranges.Though i am not a fan of any of the ones u mentioned except maybe the creek amp. And cyrus is available in bbay @ lakozy and boomerang.
Why not decide on the speakers as then u will definately get better answers for the amplification.
Regards

Well I?m surprised to find my old thread alive again. Though it was fun reading it again, as to what was going through my mind.

Things have moved quite a bit from then, more so my bank account, as my initial plan was to finish the set up arnd 120k, but since then I?ve bought tannoy studio monitors MRP arnd 225k, ordered a tannoy power amp
MRP100k, after delivery of the power I?ll get a pre which i presume shall also be arnd a 100k. The cd player I hope shall remain undecided as I?ll be getting a oppo 983h as a stand by, I guess the cables & interconnects shall be qed for the moment.

Hey! Nevile the nad 320bee drives the dyn 52 decently at moderate listening level. But the dyns 52 def sounds much better with a more powerful amp & better amps.
I must?ve purchased the spk I guess in 2003 or 2004.I first got my amp & cd player as it is easy to carry them .The spk?s I tried were candence arita?s, tannoy sensys dc2 & eyris dc2, quad 12L, wharfdale pi10, Some PSB, B&W 602s etc

Things have moved quite a bit from then, more so my bank account, as my initial plan was to finish the set up arnd 120k, but since then I?ve bought tannoy studio monitors MRP arnd 225k, ordered a tannoy power amp
MRP100k, after delivery of the power I?ll get a pre which i presume shall also be arnd a 100k. The cd player I hope shall remain undecided as I?ll be getting a oppo 983h as a stand by, I guess the cables & interconnects shall be qed for the moment.

I am surprised with that budget you went for those components. There were many more options. But hey, if you like the sound, its well justified :)

The cd player I hope shall remain undecided as I?ll be getting a oppo 983h as a stand by, I guess the cables & interconnects shall be qed for the moment.

About oppo 983H, is it available in India? And for how much?

- Prasad.

Well I?m surprised to find my old thread alive again. Though it was fun reading it again, as to what was going through my mind.

Hey! Nevile the nad 320bee drives the dyn 52 decently at moderate listening level. But the dyns 52 def sounds much better with a more powerful amp & better amps.
I must?ve purchased the spk I guess in 2003 or 2004.I first got my amp & cd player as it is easy to carry them .The spk?s I tried were candence arita?s, tannoy sensys dc2 & eyris dc2, quad 12L, wharfdale pi10, Some PSB, B&W 602s etc

From what I know, Tannoy does not make any amps/ preamps for home use. They do make amplifiers for Pro use ?
Which models did you pick up ?

Yes it's a pro model TA1000 which goes well with my system 1200 studio monitors.The amps are all made by lap gruppen

The sound may take a bit getting used to, as the home audio amps def sounds more sweet & musical.

I'm yet to receive my amp so can't give a full review.

Regards.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back