Amp suggestions for Totem Model 1 please

asliarun

Can anyone please suggest a suitable amp to drive Totem Model 1? I'm slowly trying to build an audio system, and while my budget will not permit me to buy an amp immediately, I would really appreciate any advice on which direction I should be heading. I am also open to buying a used amp.

My setup is currently: Squeezebox Classic - Topping TP20 amp - 12 guage Transparent cables - Totem Model 1 - Target stands - me. The speakers are about 15 years old (the only way I could afford them), and this is not the Signature series (no biwiring support, but I understand it is mostly the same). While the Topping actually manages to sound reasonable in some instrumentals, it doesn't have any bass control at all on the speakers. Rock sounds quite bad.

I don't have too much experience with other good audio systems, but based on my previous listening, I was really impressed with the B&W Matrix 805 (which I heard on Rotels, but still liked it a lot), and am hoping to nudge my setup slowly in that direction.

The Topping shan't be able to handle the 4 O nominal load and 87 dB sen. of the speaker effectively. The lowers would get muffled.

What you need is a high current amplifier ... say between 50W to 100W RMS. Take a look here .......
Search New Today in Amplifiers | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Huge... huge choice of the choicest ....
I believe you would be going ahead with an Integrated amp only. Could find 2 in the couple of pages I peeked into ....
Rotel 985 - $300
Naim Nait 5i - $900

Thanks for your suggestions, haisaikat, avidyarthy, Dr.Bass, and magma.

I'm a little concerned about the system being too "bright" - I think the speakers are already a little on the bright side (but it could be the amp).

Are any of these amplifiers (or any other amplifiers) considered "warm" sounding?

One more basic question - Does high wattage amplifier in general mean a high current amp?

Thanks for your patience in answering my really basic questions!

What kind of a budget do you have for the amp?
How much did you pay for the vintage Totem?

I bought it for $525 locally in Chicago - this is for the speakers and the stands.

For the amp, I will be buying it in the US, and my budget would be roughly $200-$500 used. However, I'm not even sure what amp will do justice so my budget is fairly flexible.

Caveat: This will be slightly longer term, so I will also be willing to wait to find the right amp in the right price range.

The speaker retailed at $1500 during the 1993-98 period of its manufacture. Seas tweeter and Dynaudio mid-woofer ... Great specs on paper and also on actual performance, overall!

The speaker retailed at $1500 during the 1993-98 period of its manufacture. Seas tweeter and Dynaudio mid-woofer ... Great specs on paper and also on actual performance, overall!

Thanks. Yes, they are well built speakers too - lock-mitered joints, fully cross-braced, and with borosilicate damping on the inside. They are also surprisingly compact which is also why I picked them up because I wanted decent sounding mini-monitors because of space constraints and because of their sound.

I sometimes see Odyssey amps in Audiogon and I think they might be a good fit (but for this, I will have to wait for a while). Are Odyssey amps considered warm sounding?

I'm using Odyssey Stratos Extreme power & Candela Pre to drive my Totem forest floors with Audience AU24 speaker cable & Groneberg ICs. Liked the overall presentation.

youre in the US
man yourve got a load of options then

most audiogon sales are pretty good

any of the above suggested amps will go well

what i would advice is buying a popular amp
that way its easy to sell off on audiogon if you dont like it

Posting on this old thread due to a request.
I ended up pairing my Totem Model 1s with a Parasound 2125 power amp. I did feel this was a significant upgrade from the Topping (which was to be expected, I guess). The amp is somewhat warm sounding and has decent specs - 120W at 8 ohms and 200W at 4 ohms, and delivers 35amps of current.

I thought it paired decently enough with the Totems and did conclude that Totems need a high current amp as people recommended. I was let down with the rest of my chain though. Was never happy with Emotiva USP1 preamp, and moving to a preamp/DAc (Audio-GD) made a significant improvement, I thought.

However, I did feel that the speakers could have further benefited from either a tube amp (supposed to pair well) or a good integrated with a good preamp section.

Sounded different (not so open) compared to the BW Matrix 805 (which I fell in love with), but also had better low end response.

I will disclose my little secret to you. When you already have a first love in your life, no matter where all you venture, you will never be satisfied. Go get the B & W Matrix 805 and remove all your inhibitions in life. ;)

--
helium= HTPC Asus Xonar ST + Sansui Au-317 + Luxman M-06a + Magnepan For sale: Polk Audio LSi9/ Vintage B&W Dm4/ Cdp-CA 640c V2

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back