AMP to match WHARFDALE EVO 4.2

rgpgoa

Planning to buy Wharfdale Evo 4.2 Bookshelf speakers. please suggest a suitable budget amp to drive these speakers.

For speakers like these, I would not suggest a budget amp. Look for something with enough power to drive them properly - Marantz, Denon, CA etc.

Reasonably priced - maybe the Denon PMA-800NE ?

For speakers like these, I would not suggest a budget amp. Look for something with enough power to drive them properly - Marantz, Denon, CA etc.

Reasonably priced - maybe the Denon PMA-800NE ?
Thanks.

my newbie understanding is amplifier should be more powerful than the speaker wattage so as amplifier does not clip and if the speakers go low in impedance it should provide enough power so as amp is not under stress (getting hot). Things go complex if we take deeper look like how loud one listen how far away he/she is from speakers ? Does the listener care about clean transients ? etc.
regards

Planning to buy Wharfdale Evo 4.2 Bookshelf speakers. please suggest a suitable budget amp to drive these speakers.
@rgpgoa
Since the minimum impedance can dip to 4 ohm (as per spec) get an amp that can handle a 4 ohm load intermittently.
The Denon suggested above can handle these dips. I have heard this amp a few times.
No experience with Yamaha WXA 50, but specs are nicely specified. So it may work well.

Edit:
Tagging @DB1989
He has these speakers and many amps at home. He may be able to give you a better perspective.

my newbie understanding is amplifier should be more powerful than the speaker wattage so as amplifier does not clip and if the speakers go low in impedance it should provide enough power so as amp is not under stress (getting hot). Things go complex if we take deeper look like how loud one listen how far away he/she is from speakers ? Does the listener care about clean transients ? etc.
regards
@Hiten
You, a newbie? That's my morning dose of humor :D

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Raghu,
the reason is I dont have foundation to have studied electronics so dont post with solid conviction, as we learn everyday. So like to have little leeway.
For example the case here. If the listener does not listen loud and close to speakers and simple music he/she can getaway with mid power amplifier.
Regards

You are right @Hiten
I have similarly behaving speakers, impedance wise. 8 ohm nominal (3.2 ohm min)
Have 4 amps at home currently.
Marantz IA (70/100 Wpc at 8/4 ohm)
Outlaw Audio Monos (200/300 Wpc at 8/4 ohm)
Parasound NC275v2 (90/150/150 Wpc at 8/4/2 ohm)
AKSA kit amp (55 Wpc at 8 ohm, don't know what it does at 4 ohm)

Most of the time, I listen at low to mid volume (70-80 dB SPL) at seated position driven by the AKSA.
So my guess is the power draw by speakers is not that high.

@rgpgoa
Hook up with FMs in Goa and try to hear out 2 or 3 of their amps

Cheers,
Raghu

Audiolab is from the group as Wharfedale - IAG group. They match very well.
Having said that, audiolab 6000 is an amazing amp. I have personally auditioned it with EVO 4.4 and it was extremely satisfying and spacious. It is just a tad lean but if you like EVO's sound, you surely appreciate a nimble presentation. It is a great combination. Pls go listen. Usually, the same dealer can source both.

I am using Naim Nait 5si with Evo 4.2, it's great match for Evo 4.2.
Speaker and Amp characteristic's complement each other.

My suggestion Evo 4.2 deserves better amp, following
  • Instead of budget amp, buy better second hand amp.
  • If you not into second hand, wait for some time till you have fund to buy better amp.

I am using Naim Nait 5si with Evo 4.2, it's great match for Evo 4.2.
Speaker and Amp characteristic's complement each other.

My suggestion Evo 4.2 deserves better amp, following
  • Instead of budget amp, buy better second hand amp.
  • If you not into second hand, wait for some time till you have fund to buy better
Can i use Cambridge Audio AXA 85 or AXA 100?

If you want the liveliest sound from these good speakers , suggest you use a hybrid amplification- tube preamp and solid state power amp.

Can i use Cambridge Audio AXA 85 or AXA 100?
Technically Yes, lots of people have paired CA amp with Evo 4.2, so my guess is combination will work.

Also please clarify your requirement further, so FMs can suggest you better options.
  • What is your budget for AMP ?
  • What type of Amp you are looking for ?
    • All in one (AMP + DAC + Streamer) For example AudioLab 6000a Play
    • Integrated AMP with DAC (AMP + DAC) For Example AudioLab 6000a
    • Analog only Integrated AMP For example Naim Nait 5si
    • Separates PreAmp + PowerAmp two box solution
  • Any preference for Class A, Class AB or Class D amplification ?

You are right @Hiten
I have similarly behaving speakers, impedance wise. 8 ohm nominal (3.2 ohm min)
Have 4 amps at home currently.
Marantz IA (70/100 Wpc at 8/4 ohm)
Outlaw Audio Monos (200/300 Wpc at 8/4 ohm)
Parasound NC275v2 (90/150/150 Wpc at 8/4/2 ohm)
AKSA kit amp (55 Wpc at 8 ohm, don't know what it does at 4 ohm)

Most of the time, I listen at low to mid volume (70-80 dB SPL) at seated position driven by the AKSA.
So my guess is the power draw by speakers is not that high.

@rgpgoa
Hook up with FMs in Goa and try to hear out 2 or 3 of their amps

Cheers,
Raghu
Nice amplifiers. Your R3 speakers are good too. I like them very much. But have not heard them.
AKSA a well designed amp is what I have read. In theory normally at half the impedance power doubles but in real world I have only seen 1.5 times power; so probably 70 to 80 watts.
A little amusing story is when I was kid we had Pioneer amp with 12 watt RMS. And it used to rock the house. But in those day we did not worried about clipping and distortion. :p
Ontopic :
Wharfedale Evo is an interesting speaker if we compare with other speakers. An AMT Tweeter, Dome Midrange (Very rare to find those in current times) A Differently designed port. Since rgpgoa is planning to purchase it would be best to audition it along with amplifier.
Regards.

Wharfedale speakers would usually pair easily with most of brands. As others suggested ,check power rating and impedance matching. More power can express music in better way. Now you need to consider room aspect too. Yamaha amps will sound flat and less boomy. Marantz amps are musical, but need to check if it sounds perfect and not over warm. Similarly you can explore other amps too.

@Hiten
Don't know if my approach will work for @rgpgoa
It is fully separate; each box doing only one function.
Main chain is:
Allo streamer --> Parasound DAC --> Lyrita DHT pre --> AKSA power --> KEF R300

@rgpgoa
Please make the effort to reach out to Goa FMs. Someone may oblige to carry an amp over to your place.
Entice an FM or two with beer ;), listen to music, talk shop, and learn what may work for you in the long run.
Don't commit monies (large amounts) without hearing at least one amp/IA in your room with your speakers.

Cheers,
Raghu

Back