Amplifier for Active subwoofer

ram_v

Hello All,
I have boston acoustics XS 2.1 active sub. some time back the amplifier of the sub has gone bad and looks like it can not be fixed.

The woofer and the box of the sub are in great condition and am thinking of getting a plate amplifier. I am looked for plate amps allover the net but can find any source, is there any online shop where I can order a plate amp?

Regards,
Ram.

Hi Ram,

If you are based in Mumbai, there is Lamington Road for all this....similarly in other cities I am sure there would be some electronic component market...

Why don't you look in the DIY threads for ideas and perhaps some leads in getting such a plate....

All the best

Hi Ram,

If you are based in Mumbai, there is Lamington Road for all this....similarly in other cities I am sure there would be some electronic component market...

Why don't you look in the DIY threads for ideas and perhaps some leads in getting such a plate....

All the best

Thankyou very much for the suggestion efernand, actually I am from Chennai and in Chennai there is place called "ritchie street" where all the electronic items are sold but unfortunately no one there is aware of what a plate amp is.

I did come across some circuit boards on Ebay but not sure which amplifier circuit to match with crossover circuit and transformer.

here are some of them
250Watt RMS Mono SUB Woofer Amplifier Circuit Board | eBay

28 0 28 12 0 12 Toroidal Transformer FOR Amplifier Pure Copper Toroid | eBay

DC Protection Board FOR Amplifiers | eBay

LOW Pass Filter SUB Woofer Filter Circuit Board | eBay

EA Professional Subwoofer Filter NE5532 EASC03 | eBay

am totally confused about the right combination that I should go with as am not technically sound when it comes to electronics.

please suggest the best available combination.

Regards.
Ram

Hello All,
I have boston acoustics XS 2.1 active sub. some time back the amplifier of the sub has gone bad and looks like it can not be fixed.

The woofer and the box of the sub are in great condition and am thinking of getting a plate amplifier. I am looked for plate amps allover the net but can find any source, is there any online shop where I can order a plate amp?

Regards,
Ram.

Hello RAM,
'Plate amplifier' is a fancy name of basic amplifier only. In this case an amp module is mounted on a piece of metal plate along with a transformer, psu, low pass filter, phase selector and appropriate heatsink. If you buy them separately and assemble them yourself, the costing will be lesser than a pre built 'plate amp' IMHO. You can get amp modules on eBay.com or can check here as well:
Power Amplifier

You can check this as well:
http://connexelectronic.com/product_info.php/products_id/207?osCsid=ng1p8bkutdcu2d5p765tqnpai6

This amp has psu built in.

Last edited:
Hello RAM,
'Plate amplifier' is a fancy name of basic amplifier only. In this case an amp module is mounted on a piece of metal plate along with a transformer, psu, low pass filter, phase selector and appropriate heatsink. If you buy them separately and assemble them yourself, the costing will be lesser than a pre built 'plate amp' IMHO. You can get amp modules on eBay.com or can check here as well:
Power Amplifier

You can check this as well:
Connexelectronic

This amp has psu built in.

Hello Saikat,
Thank you very much for the info. the Woofer I have right now is a 8 inch and 100watts, can you help me choose the right amplifier and other components required to build the amp, it would be of a great help if you can do that cos I don't have much technically knowledge, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ram.

Hello Saikat,
Thank you very much for the info. the Woofer I have right now is a 8 inch and 100watts, can you help me choose the right amplifier and other components required to build the amp, it would be of a great help if you can do that cos I don't have much technically knowledge, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ram.
What would be your max budget?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What would be your max budget?

Since I already have a woofer and the enclosure I wouldn't be needing to purchase those, for the rest of the components I would like to keep it between 4K and 5K

Regarding,
Ram

Last edited:
Since I already have a woofer and the enclosure I wouldn't be needing to purchase those, for the rest of the components I would like to keep it between 4K and 5K

Regarding,
Ram
Could you please confirm which parts are not working exactly? Have you talked to anyone for repair or faulty parts replacement? I think you should check that option before investing your hard earned money.

If possible, please post some pictures of the electronics inside.

It all started when I heard clicking noise from the sub and there was no sound from it. initially I took it to a technician near by who is very good in servicing LED, LCD...etc. he fixed the issue and returned the sub the same day. I was told that the problem was due to low voltage. my AVR and projector are powered through a voltage stabilizer and the sub is connected directly to the power socket. after getting back the sub I powered it through a stabilizer which I use for my LED it worked fine for about 20 minutes and then there was no sound and also the clicking noise. I took it back to the same guy for service, after examining the sub for a week he told me that some IC had to be replaced. After a month he gave me back the sub unfixed saying he could not source the IC. Then I took it to the guy who I bought it from, he examined the sub and told me that who ever had serviced the sub earlier had totally messed it up. looks like there where two similar looking IC with different IC numbers on it, the guy who service the sub was not able to read the number on the IC since it was burnt so he replaced it with a IC same as the other one and because of this other circuits were damaged and fixing it would cost as much as a new sub. now my active sub is degraded to a passive sub and want to upgrade it back to Active sub.

It all started when I heard clicking noise from the sub and there was no sound from it. initially I took it to a technician near by who is very good in servicing LED, LCD...etc. he fixed the issue and returned the sub the same day. I was told that the problem was due to low voltage. my AVR and projector are powered through a voltage stabilizer and the sub is connected directly to the power socket. after getting back the sub I powered it through a stabilizer which I use for my LED it worked fine for about 20 minutes and then there was no sound and also the clicking noise. I took it back to the same guy for service, after examining the sub for a week he told me that some IC had to be replaced. After a month he gave me back the sub unfixed saying he could not source the IC. Then I took it to the guy who I bought it from, he examined the sub and told me that who ever had serviced the sub earlier had totally messed it up. looks like there where two similar looking IC with different IC numbers on it, the guy who service the sub was not able to read the number on the IC since it was burnt so he replaced it with a IC same as the other one and because of this other circuits were damaged and fixing it would cost as much as a new sub. now my active sub is degraded to a passive sub and want to upgrade it back to Active sub.

Its really painful when these kind of mishaps occur to someone. I can feel the pain. Last week I blown up a chipamp IC as well.

I am going to refer the back panel of your sub from this image (google search)

2014072315484373.jpg

Image courtesy piyanas.com.

Can you please confirm whether your model looks exact the same?

First of all let me ask you - what source are you using to feed this speaker system? Full details please - like what type of cable do you use? What type of source? etc.

Looking at the sub back panel, it seems, the sub has a built in DAC. A passive pre (hopefully), 3 amplifiers. If you need to re-build this dac and want to go DIY route, it might cost you more.

If I were you, I might have constructed 3 amplifiers (with the volume control ofcourse) and the proper 2.1 preamplifier.

Now, what budget you are looking at for all of these?

Its really painful when these kind of mishaps occur to someone. I can feel the pain. Last week I blown up a chipamp IC as well.

I am going to refer the back panel of your sub from this image (google search)

2014072315484373.jpg

Image courtesy piyanas.com.

Can you please confirm whether your model looks exact the same?

First of all let me ask you - what source are you using to feed this speaker system? Full details please - like what type of cable do you use? What type of source? etc.

Looking at the sub back panel, it seems, the sub has a built in DAC. A passive pre (hopefully), 3 amplifiers. If you need to re-build this dac and want to go DIY route, it might cost you more.

If I were you, I might have constructed 3 amplifiers (with the volume control ofcourse) and the proper 2.1 preamplifier.

Now, what budget you are looking at for all of these?

Good morning,
No that not the one I have, here is the picture of the sub that I have.

618l05MsdhL._SL1000_.jpg

I am using a MX coaxial cable to connect from PreOut of Marantz NR1501 to LFE of the sub.

And about the budget I am ready to spent up to 5K. Actually I bought this sub for 8K with out the satellite speakers that come along with it.

Regards,
Ram.

Good morning,

618l05MsdhL._SL1000_.jpg

I am using a MX coaxial cable to connect from PreOut of Marantz NR1501 to LFE of the sub.

And about the budget I am ready to spent up to 5K. Actually I bought this sub for 8K with out the satellite speakers that come along with it.

Regards,
Ram.
That's great. I think you might consider this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Assembled-L...-Protection-2X-68W-120W-L154-20-/111651034849

I think this could be a better match and possibly a good upgrade of your existing amplifiers.

All you need is 24-0-24v 300w toroidal transformer and a proper heatsink.

The overall cost could be around 7-8k.

Good morning,

618l05MsdhL._SL1000_.jpg

Regards,
Ram.

As you already have a receiver, I believe you are connecting receiver's speaker outputs to the speakers and not the subwoofer's speaker outputs. Correct me if I am wrong. In that case, you don't need the 2.1 amplifier that I've suggested earlier. Sorry that I overlooked your receiver.

We have built few DIY subs with this amp module:
Lumin - 150 Watts Power AMP Mono
I've added a 10k pot at the line input level.
The amp is paired with an over sized heat-sink, full bridge rectifier (20000uf per rail) and a 24-0-24v transformer. Its working without any problem and I am happy with its performance. However, I will upgrade the PSU and the transformer later.

I have plans for this amplifier module as well in future:
?Assembled ? LJM L15D Pro Power Amplifier Board IRS2092 IRFB4019 2 Boards | eBay

I believe both would be within your budget.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back