Amplifier for Polk Audio RTI A9

RAJESH

Hi guys,

Need your expert advice on this. I have shortlisted the Polk audio RTI A9's for my stereo set up. I intend to have a stereo set up without a sub woofer. I have an Pioneer Multi channel receiver VSX816 which I intend to use that as a per amp. I am looking for a power amplier which would best suit this set of speakers. Looking forward for any advice that you guys can give. Also would appreciate if you suggest any good speakers that is close to the Rti a9's that I should go for a big hall for pure listening pleasure. My music is jazz, rock, country, instrumental. But more importantly its pure listening pleasure. Clarity, Bass, treble....the works. Hope you guys understand. Thanks again guys.

Regards
Rajesh

Hi guys,

Need your expert advice on this. I have shortlisted the Polk audio RTI A9's for my stereo set up. I intend to have a stereo set up without a sub woofer. I have an Pioneer Multi channel receiver VSX816 which I intend to use that as a per amp. I am looking for a power amplier which would best suit this set of speakers. Looking forward for any advice that you guys can give. Also would appreciate if you suggest any good speakers that is close to the Rti a9's that I should go for a big hall for pure listening pleasure. My music is jazz, rock, country, instrumental. But more importantly its pure listening pleasure. Clarity, Bass, treble....the works. Hope you guys understand. Thanks again guys.

Regards
Rajesh
Listening distance from speakers ?

Whatever you get, the RTIa9 needs a lot of power. Like a serious amount of power. A good pre Power setup from a good brand should do. There are plenty of options, depending on your budget, which u haven't specified.

If u haven't fixed on the speakers, in that budget there are plenty plenty of options which will be better than the RTIa9. For music.

RTI A9s are a bit power hungry. So it may limit you to the range of power amps and bleed your bank.
In turn you may find the preamp in the AVR section can be bettered.

Speakers similar to Polks in terms of presence and room filing sound may be:
Dali, KEF, Monitor Audio, ELAC, Q-Acoustics towers. Only a few named here.
You need to hear them out and decide if their sound signature is to your liking.
Bangalore has quite a few dealers. Take the time to do the legwork and audition.

When you say big hall, how big is it? Give dimensions or if possible attach a drawing.
FMs can then suggest options based on mapping this size to their experience.

Cheers,
Raghu

I had the A7 with NAD 356. They are a good match and setup in my living room. Never dared to go beyond 11 O clock position on the NAD as it would more than easily fill the space which is approximately 18 by 24.

If you are getting the A9, just based on its brute size and looks, them as others have said, you would need a power amp of about 150 watts per channel to really enjoy. After having them for few years, I would say that the A7 are good for their price, but not connessiuer level. If at all you want Polk, look into the newer S series.

Hi guys,

Regards
Rajesh
If you are looking at a stereo setup, get a stereo preamp and a beefy Poweramp/monoblocks from crown, emotiva, parasound, etc.

Speakers, as Raghu mentioned are all good options. Check out the Kef R500 or even the elac offerings. Both are known to have great bass when fed with tons of power.

MaSh

MaSh

RTI A9s are a bit power hungry. So it may limit you to the range of power amps and bleed your bank.
In turn you may find the preamp in the AVR section can be bettered.

Speakers similar to Polks in terms of presence and room filing sound may be:
Dali, KEF, Monitor Audio, ELAC, Q-Acoustics towers. Only a few named here.
You need to hear them out and decide if their sound signature is to your liking.
Bangalore has quite a few dealers. Take the time to do the legwork and audition.

When you say big hall, how big is it? Give dimensions or if possible attach a drawing.
FMs can then suggest options based on mapping this size to their experience.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for your reply Raghu. I will do that. But any trial & tested models you can suggest....like the speaker model that goes along with this particular pre & power amp kinda thing? Well, the room size is 18 / 25.

I have RTiA (9/3s and CSiA6) setup for my HT. While I really love these for movies, I didn't like them much pure music, especially without sub. For my stereo setup I recently acquired Kef R3s. Its still quite early but for now I'm quite happy with these speakers. Also, before invest too much money in this, please make sure your source is high quality and your room can handle the speaker+amp combo.

I was using the RTiA3 from my HT as stop gap speakers to test the amp and to my surprise I didn't notice significant improvement after upgrading to R3. I was quite disappointed initially. But after enabling room correction (YPAO) and switching from Apple Music via Airplay to direct Tidal HiRes for source, the whole setup really started performing.

HTH

Thanks for your reply Raghu. I will do that. But any trial & tested models you can suggest....like the speaker model that goes along with this particular pre & power amp kinda thing? Well, the room size is 18 / 25.
There no such thing as this + that. We all hear differently.
I have heard the RTi series in demo rooms. The larger ones were struggling to sing.
Mostly because they were driven by AVRs instead of IAs.

The one time I heard A9 with a proper stereo amp, drive was not an issue.
But to my ears, musically they could have been better. They were kind of forward, in your face.
I personally like speakers that are dynamic, but don't come across as aggressive sound wise.

You have a big room. Polk RTis will fill the room given proper amplification.
If it is for HT, they work great. For music alone or mixed use, do audition other brands.

Bangalore has dealers for quite a few speaker companies. Please audition, if you have not done so.
After all this legwork, if you feel Polk RTi is the one for you, work on amplification.
AVRs will struggle with the towers.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi guys,

Regards
Rajesh
I have the same speakers I am running them on 2 x Nad C 275bee power amps 330 watts rms mono each amp + Nad c326bee Preamp/intergrated amp for the dual sub hookups.. i had to get my electrician to get dedicated Plugs to power the C 275bee's .. also i always prefer 2 powered subs for better smoother bass and you can turn them down so they blend in better.. I am a stereo only guy never liked a home theater system for music.. i just watch movies in stereo with subs it good for me.. now the sound is incredible .. i might think i found the perfect match they light up at low volumes and when you want to turn it up so crunchy and clear.. i feel like i am listening to a expensive hifi system.. i had buddies go out and buy these speakers after hearing my system they didn't get the same results do to not anough power to light them up.. the one with the 5k yamaha home theater amp sounds great with movies and its decent for music he is happy but he wish he had my set up i have for music.. i think home theater amps are not the best for music just saying..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back