Amplifier needed to run Old Hifi Speakers.

bipena67

Hello everyone,

I have an old Sony Hifi System, Model no: MHC RV888D.
The Main central unit which has a DVD player, cassette player, amps , and where all the speakers connect has broken. I got it repaired once but got broken after running for 2-3 days only. I live in a small city and good electricians are not available here. Due to which it becomes a costly and cumbersome task to get it repaired.

The speakers which came with the unit are really good and I was thinking if I can play them through a separate amplifier discarding the main unit completely. It came with 2 front speakers, 2 surrounds and a centre speaker.
Even if I can only play the 2 front speakers it will be good.
I would use these mostly connected to TV set-top box or as laptop speakers. ( Bluetooth functionality would also be good as may I require it sometimes to play music via my phone)

The unit has a sticker on the front which says 120 W * 2 + 40 W * 3 ( can be seen on the picture ) which means it has two - 120-watt front speakers.
I checked online for manual which was for Australian model and it says the front speakers are 6 ohms with RMS of 100 watt each. I am not sure how much impedance my speakers are.

Attached are some pics:
( PS. The pics attached doesn't show the surround and the center speaker as I have disconnected it.)
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Hifi system.jpg
    Hifi system.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I have a similar setup.. Aiwa speakers which I have attached to a Marantz PM5004. They sound absolutely gorgeous & smooth.

If you want a cheap solution i would recommend this:

It can play two speakers at decent volume
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Wouldn't it underpower the speakers as it only outputs 20 watts?
Also, it doesn't mention at what impedance it outputs 20 watts.

Hello everyone,

I have an old Sony Hifi System, Model no: MHC RV888D.
The Main central unit which has a DVD player, cassette player, amps , and where all the speakers connect has broken. I got it repaired once but got broken after running for 2-3 days only. I live in a small city and good electricians are not available here. Due to which it becomes a costly and cumbersome task to get it repaired.

The speakers which came with the unit are really good and I was thinking if I can play them through a separate amplifier discarding the main unit completely. It came with 2 front speakers, 2 surrounds and a centre speaker.
Even if I can only play the 2 front speakers it will be good.
I would use these mostly connected to TV set-top box or as laptop speakers. ( Bluetooth functionality would also be good as may I require it sometimes to play music via my phone)

The unit has a sticker on the front which says 120 W * 2 + 40 W * 3 ( can be seen on the picture ) which means it has two - 120-watt front speakers.
I checked online for manual which was for Australian model and it says the front speakers are 6 ohms with RMS of 100 watt each. I am not sure how much impedance my speakers are.

Attached are some pics:
( PS. The pics attached doesn't show the surround and the center speaker as I have disconnected it.)
Any help is appreciated.
For use with the TV or laptop you need to buy an el cheapo amp like lepy, lepai, kinter or similar

Look up online you will find many sellers in the 900 rs range

Going up to 2000 will give you mic, Bluetooth etc

There is also an Indian brand called sound King from Thane that you could look at https://abg-traders.business.site/ they also sell online

Hi,
Thank you all for your suggestions. I checked online but most of the amps are out of stock right now maybe because of lockdown.
However, I saw some youtube videos on PCB board amps which are sold on amazon. They require a little bit of wiring.

I found a channel on youtube called "What I think". Indian Channel - guy gives very good and detailed explanations of PCB board amps and ICs used.

I am thinking of waiting for 2-3 weeks to check if the products get back in stock. Otherwise, I will buy a PCB board amp of TPA3116D - which is 100 + 100 Watt RMS. But I am not sure the longevity of these amps as they are all china made with cheap components.

Has anyone used the TPA3116D amp?

Hi,
Thank you all for your suggestions. I checked online but most of the amps are out of stock right now maybe because of lockdown.
However, I saw some youtube videos on PCB board amps which are sold on amazon. They require a little bit of wiring.

I found a channel on youtube called "What I think". Indian Channel - guy gives very good and detailed explanations of PCB board amps and ICs used.

I am thinking of waiting for 2-3 weeks to check if the products get back in stock. Otherwise, I will buy a PCB board amp of TPA3116D - which is 100 + 100 Watt RMS. But I am not sure the longevity of these amps as they are all china made with cheap components.

Has anyone used the TPA3116D amp?
A PCB board route would not be a good idea, according to me

By the time you buy the various components and other parts like the pre amp, bluetooth, transformer, cabinet, knobs etc it will cost you more than buying a ready amp

Check out this offering from a FM, the topping amp is still available I guess..

Under 10K
Your options-
1. You want good and cheap, consider this: https://hifimart.com/product/fx-audio-d502-integrated-amplifier-html/
2. You want dirt cheap: goto Bhagirath Palace Market(Chandani Chowk on Yellow Line or Lal Quila on Purple line) and ask for 4440IC based amp, which you can get for as low as 500-800. They'll make some kind of sound, whether that'll be music to your ears or not, only you can judge.
3. There are few local resellers also who sell their wares on OLX but they usually overcharge for pre-owned gear.
4. Wait for some FM to list his gear for sale here, might get a good deal but be wary of shipping, more than charges the hassle involved by some logistics provider.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back