Amplifier on top of player

There were days when I used Philips DVD player as my CD Transport. A simple tweak changed the sound completely. I placed a very heavy granite slab on it. It passed DBT with flying colors and, after that, I couldn't able to enjoy it any more without the slab on it.

I think the key is to place something(like granite slab) on it that runs across the edges of the player and then place the Amp on it. This will distribute the pressure and will not tap the upper cover of the player near the transport mechanism.

There were days when I used Philips DVD player as my CD Transport. A simple tweak changed the sound completely. I placed a very heavy granite slab on it. It passed DBT with flying colors and, after that, I couldn't able to enjoy it any more without the slab on it.

I think the key is to place something(like granite slab) on it that runs across the edges of the player and then place the Amp on it. This will distribute the pressure and will not tap the upper cover of the player near the transport mechanism.

Great idea. Cabinet vibration is a reality and damping it critically (not over damp but just the right amount) works wonder in my limited experience.

A variation on damping from the top of cabinet is to use a thick sheet of heatlon foam below the equipment. My DCB1 buffer works best with this foam placed below it. Sand bag on DCB1 cabinet top totally killed the sound. But my CD player or power amp or TTs don't improve with foam below. My CD player didn't work with sand bag of different weights either, most likely because inside of top plate is already internally damped with some sort of rubber foam layer. Brass footers also didn't help. Ceramic ball footers also didn't help. Works best with built in footers.

My point being: there is no one single magic bullet applicable to all situations. Try different damping methods till you get better sound.

I could recollect one tip from AV MAX many years ago. Placeing heavy book like telephone directory on player improves damping and stability.
I think placing amp on CD player would add weight but distributed only at foot points in form of point-pressure. Heavy book would distribute load evenly.
About granite slab i see one issue. Being regid material it may have damping limitation. May be granite slab on layer of rubber sheet would give two fold benefit i.e. damping+weight.

Thanks

I got your point and sounds logical. Yes, a sheet of rubber or cork may turn out to be more beneficial.
But, the player's top surface are generally very plain and smooth so granite works here, IMO.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back