Amplifier suggestions for B&W 603

X man

Looking for Amp suggestions for B&W 603.. Have heard Rotel 1572 and A-14. 1572 sounds best but is very expensive (somehow what hi fi reviews are not great for these). Heard Marantz 800X with B&W too, but would prefer A14 sounds better vs. Marantz . Looks like speakers need more power to perform the best.

Any other suggestions for Amplifier. (Has anyone heard Rega/ MF/or other etc with B&W) ?

Looking for Amp suggestions for B&W 603.. Have heard Rotel 1572 and A-14. 1572 sounds best but is very expensive (somehow what hi fi reviews are not great for these). Heard Marantz 800X with B&W too, but would prefer A14 sounds better vs. Marantz . Looks like speakers need more power to perform the best.

Any other suggestions for Amplifier. (Has anyone heard Rega/ MF/or other etc with B&W) ?

Forget those reviews get a rotel amp which fit your budget.

rotel and b&w seem to be good stablemates.
you can also look for used Nad amps.
seems to be pairs well with B&W

Any idea about Roksan K3 or Rega which seems to have got great reviews.

Wonder if Rotel B&W generally paired together as distributors are same though admit that when I auditioned Rotel 1572 and even A14 (80W) with B&W it sounded better vs. Marantz PM7004 (70 W) by a big margin.

If I were to extend my budget, would it make sense to go for a Rotel or pick up some good Amp within that budget.

Regards

Any idea about Roksan K3 or Rega which seems to have got great reviews.

Wonder if Rotel B&W generally paired together as distributors are same though admit that when I auditioned Rotel 1572 and even A14 (80W) with B&W it sounded better vs. Marantz PM7004 (70 W) by a big margin.

If I were to extend my budget, would it make sense to go for a Rotel or pick up some good Amp within that budget.

Regards
I think the Rotel amp is good enough for the 603 as its the budget line of B and W. If u spend more on the amp, u may not likely hear all the potential of the the higher tier amp, since the speakers will bottleneck there. That being said, get the Rotel and just dont think too much about upgrading all the time. Even the poeple who spends top dollar on audio are not satisfied.

Just see this video if you didnt understand what I meant.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHRujcM2Tew

Rotel 1572 which drives B&W 603 well costs much more than the others (roksan, rega etc). Hence considering opting for other better Amps within the same budget.. or at lower costs.

Having said that upgrade bug is bad..!!

Rotel 1572 which drives B&W 603 well costs much more than the others (roksan, rega etc). Hence considering opting for other better Amps within the same budget.. or at lower costs.

Having said that upgrade bug is bad..!!
yes, my bad. But like I said, what he says in the video I shared is something I too had experienced. You can make an entry level speaker sound like heaven with a nice front end, but, again, the full potential of that gear wont be out until you have better speakers. its always a like a see saw, when you mix and match classes.

It is true in case of better electronics paired with lower end speakers, but not the converse. Also, that way the speakers can be replaced in future as electronics are already in place. Best way to go when budget is constraint.

@X man, have you already bought the speakers???

What is the budget for the amp?
Accordingly you can get suitable suggestions.

Budget preferably < Rs1 lac, could try to stretch somewhat if no options

OMG that's a way above budget for a 603. I have owned a pair of 603 S3 my self for a reasonable time. You know what I had paired it with a AKAI vintage (of course 1980-1992 was the golden era for audio) integrated amp which I bought for 18K. It was match made in heaven.

When you are looking for an amp at a budget of a Lakh for B&W 603 then it gives me an opinion that you are trying to buy something future proof or you are buying 603 way above price unknowingly thinking it's high-end and B&W.

My recommendation would be, buy the amp in for sale section here Plinius 8200i MKii posted by @ravindrads you may discuss with him and buy it if you choose to. I have used 100i that itself was great and lot of headroom and grunt. I have paired it with Infinity RSii towers which used to dip as low as 2ohms load and my Plinius 100i was handling it like a tank where couple of high end power amps have failed.

My two cents.

R. Balagopalan

No..not yet...
I think you are quite confused at the moment. Step back and think what really is going to be with you for a while. Else, it will be a case of repentance which ideally one should avoid at all costs. Take your time, there is no hurry.

Pair it with a Naim Nait 5si. Im sure you'll love the pairing. The B&W 603 is slightly laid back , the Naim will bring it to life. Costs around or lesser than a Lac depending on your bargaining skills. A cracker of a pairing.

Thanks. Bala. Read about your journey through various B&W speakers. Very Impressive.

Not sure what you meant about budget of a lakh for amp for B&W speakers - is it too low or high? I had a lower budget but demoed it with Marantz 7004 (70 W, eq to new 800X series), which could hardly drive the speakers, while Rotel 1572 sounded very good. So upped the limit to match speakers that have MRP of Rs1.8 lac.

We have a vintage Sony (1992) multi component system (LBT A590K, not released in India) at home which sounds better than most modern day Amp/ Speakers worth several lakhs, I have realised but the amp has been facing some issues. Am trying to replace the entire system with a new one.. Have auditioned several speakers/amps, most still struggle to come anywhere close.

Liked the new B&W 603 but without a good amp, it may not do justice to the investment in speakers..though also have budget constraints.

Anyone has any feedback about Vincent, Caiyin amplifiers etc? How do these compare to solid state amplifiers..?

Try valve. They sound nice with a 15-20w PP with EL34s and 6L6. Haven't tried an other.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back