Amplifier Suggestions

dub123

Hi,

In my current setup I am using NAD D3020 (v1) with Revel M12 and NAD 3020 with B&W 602 speakers.
I am planning to move to a higher power amplifier to pair will some floor standers down the line. As matter of preference I like to pick amplifier first and carry it around to demo and match speakers.

My first preference was to go for NAD C356BEE, which should sound hopefully similar to what I have.
But want to check what are some other options worth considering.

Depending on how much I am able to get for NAD D3020, my budget is 35k-45k for used/pre loved amplifier.
DAC is not a concern as I has have that covered. Open to HTR's but only if they do stereo really well.

Thank You

Hi,

In my current setup I am using NAD D3020 (v1) with Revel M12 and NAD 3020 with B&W 602 speakers.
I am planning to move to a higher power amplifier to pair will some floor standers down the line. As matter of preference I like to pick amplifier first and carry it around to demo and match speakers.

My first preference was to go for NAD C356BEE, which should sound hopefully similar to what I have.
But want to check what are some other options worth considering.

Depending on how much I am able to get for NAD D3020, my budget is 35k-45k for used/pre loved amplifier.
DAC is not a concern as I has have that covered. Open to HTR's but only if they do stereo really well.

Thank You
A good starting point for purchase of any HiFi Component is to list (preferably write it down) :

1. What Do I LIKE about my existing sound.

2. What changes do I want my new purchase to bring ? (Extra Features and Changes in Sound )

From your post it seems that you are happy with your current sound from the NAD, and you want more power for the future when you buy Floor-standing speakers.

In that case, you can carry your existing amplifier when auditioning new speakers and by a more powerful amp if your speakers need more power.

It is a myth that floor standing speakers need more power. In fact often Bookshelves with their smaller enclosures need more power !

Since you are a NAD Fan, do listen to their NON Digital amps. Many say the NAD Non-Digital amps have more drive and punch than their digital amps. Do give them a listen.

New amps now often include a DAC and Bluetooth Connectivity. The Bluetooth may be welcome by your family members to play music from their mobile phones.....

Appreciate your feedback.

It is a myth that floor standing speakers need more power. In fact often Bookshelves with their smaller enclosures need more power ! - Won't argue any bit.

My both amps are rated 30 watts and in terms of numbers can do on demand 65 watts as dynamic output. Honestly have never played either at over 70% volume.

Idea was to get something with at least 80 ish watt power output which will help with sound if want to move them to larger Living Room (18ft * 16 ft). Bluetooth is not an issue as such as have Apple TV, Chromecast and couple of Bluetooth Receiver/Transmitters with Qualcomm CSR 8675.

1. What Do I LIKE about my existing sound. - I am quiet happy with WARM, OPEN sound and that's why will keep older analog NAD 3020 and both set of speakers for smaller rooms. Want to go for Floor stander/3 Way Speakers down the line for better mids and bottom line. I DO NOT intend to add sub.

2. What changes do I want my new purchase to bring ? (Extra Features and Changes in Sound ) - Bit more power output and prefer NEUTRAL, WARMISH amplifier.

Many say the NAD Non-Digital amps have more drive and punch than their digital amps - Finding a old reliable seller/unit is always a challenge that's why I said C356BEE which is fairly recent model and shows up for sale now and then, am surely open to it.

Thanks

Appreciate your feedback.

It is a myth that floor standing speakers need more power. In fact often Bookshelves with their smaller enclosures need more power ! - Won't argue any bit.

My both amps are rated 30 watts and in terms of numbers can do on demand 65 watts as dynamic output. Honestly have never played either at over 70% volume.

Idea was to get something with at least 80 ish watt power output which will help with sound if want to move them to larger Living Room (18ft * 16 ft). Bluetooth is not an issue as such as have Apple TV, Chromecast and couple of Bluetooth Receiver/Transmitters with Qualcomm CSR 8675.

1. What Do I LIKE about my existing sound. - I am quiet happy with WARM, OPEN sound and that's why will keep older analog NAD 3020 and both set of speakers for smaller rooms. Want to go for Floor stander/3 Way Speakers down the line for better mids and bottom line. I DO NOT intend to add sub.

2. What changes do I want my new purchase to bring ? (Extra Features and Changes in Sound ) - Bit more power output and prefer NEUTRAL, WARMISH amplifier.

Many say the NAD Non-Digital amps have more drive and punch than their digital amps - Finding a old reliable seller/unit is always a challenge that's why I said C356BEE which is fairly recent model and shows up for sale now and then, am surely open to it.

Thanks
Please don't go with 356BEE, it's completely different from the 3020 sound signature. 356 is more bass heavy and kind of bloated which will be more problematic with a floor stander. One of my friend had tried with his Dali opticon but the result was really bad.
If you still want to pursue then please audition the combination before writing the cheque.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back